Community

Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Theme & Plugin Certification

• 159 posts
    September 21, 2018 4:12 PM EDT

Just a quick ask about genuine certified marketplace products.

Can I consider a certified theme/plugin purchased at SE Marketplace unable to modify core SE files.  As an example if the theme or plugin was disabled after being enabled, it should have no impact to my website in the disabled state.

Thanks

• 335 posts
    September 21, 2018 8:28 PM EDT

Yes this is correct

• gs
    • 820 posts
    September 21, 2018 8:30 PM EDT

I believe that's 2 separate issues.

As of 4.09.something, disabling actually disabled the Plugin (i.e. as if it doesn't exist).  Not sure how that would work though if the active theme was disabled (i.e. does the default theme load?).  I have several themes disabled but I always load theme A before disabling theme B.

As far as Certified modifying source code - they aren't supposed to which is something @Donna checks during the Certified process.  However the 'unable' term you used is something that @Donna would have to reply to since I don't know if what SE does is 100% guaranteed/tested for this.  

This post was edited by gs at September 21, 2018 8:31 PM EDT
    • 335 posts
    September 21, 2018 8:33 PM EDT

I think you are overthinking it GS - the certification process checks for core modifications and they can not have them to become certified. As long as a plugin or theme does not have any then there should be no issue disabling it for the site UNLESS there are dependencies on the disabled plugin/theme elsewhere within the site

• gs
    • 820 posts
    September 21, 2018 10:34 PM EDT

The reason I mentioned 2 things is because the Disabling feature was implemented before the Certified process and it works with Cert and non-Cert Plugins, so based on my understanding and testing it has nothing to do with Certified status and/or Core edits.

Terms like can't/unable are absolute to me, and I simply don't know how thoroughly things are tested and thought through (many issues with Certified were not thought of and planned for, for example).  For ex, I was informed by SE that the Disable function worked, but found out during last year's 4.09.* upgrade that it didn't, so my time and money was wasted due to issues (plus I had to pay SE Support to determine it was a 'disabled' theme that wasn't being properly disabled, wreaking havoc on my dev site, because the working Disable function wasn't working).  Cost me time and money, so I've learned to trust very little of what I'm told.  So in this instance, 'unable' was meaningless.

• 2594 posts
    September 22, 2018 5:57 AM EDT

Good question Miami. It depends on what you do in that plugin after installing it. We do not allow source edits or database edits or callbacks (mobile app can have a callback as it won't work without one).

That being said, if you install there are plugins and themes that allow you to set some settings that replace default SE stuff such as the landing page, sign up, etc. This is allowed as it doesn't delete those or overwrite them. From what I've seen, it makes a backup copy of the thing when it replaces it with its own code. I have seen the code in each that if it's disabled, it changes back to the default in most cases. In a few, you have to rename the file back but it says that in the instructions before you hit that button to replace the stuff. 

So, best advice is to pay attention to what you are setting in your plugins and themes. Make notes. Ask questions from the experts either here in the community or in their support. Should you ever find a certified plugin that breaks the site, contact us about it and we'll test it again. We can miss stuff.

One note here too - widgets. Some things enable widgets. When the thing is disabled, those widgets are still there on the pages they were added to if you manually added them yourself. You need to remember to remove those. They shouldn't interfere with the site but since it's not something that was programmed to be there in the first place, it's best to remember to check and remove any you manually placed. Same for menus.

• 159 posts
    September 22, 2018 7:53 AM EDT

Some very good info thank you everyone.