Community

Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Storage Quota vs Upload Counts -priority for disabling uploads?

• 145 posts
    October 5, 2018 7:20 AM EDT

Would love some feedback from gs -if your listening in gs :)

His feedback & experience has proven invaluable.

• 157 posts
    October 5, 2018 8:04 AM EDT
    playmusician said:

for example, in the below case.

The user has not reached his limit , but hes still getting the message "You are allowed to upload max 5 photos"

He only has 2 uploaded so far. and it prevents him from uploading anymore,...

but gives no error...just hangs.

Hi Playmusician,

1) Choose photos on your computer to add to this listing. (2MB maximum) >>

This message is not related to the configurations added in the php.ini file. This message is coming from the limit set in the upload.php file of the respective plugin in which you are getting this message.

2) You are allowed to upload maximum 20 photos >>

This can be configured/modified in the Admin Panel settings of the plugin.

You may reach out to our Support Team to get more details on the above. We will be happy assist you.

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns

• 2594 posts
    October 5, 2018 8:33 AM EDT

Thank you SEAO for answering! That clears up a lot. :)

• 145 posts
    October 5, 2018 8:33 AM EDT

Thanks Donna. 

Hi SEAO,
    thanks for the reply.

"...This message is coming from the limit set in the upload.php file of the respective plugin..)

1)Where is the location of each upload.php file? so we can make our adjustments

I have a ticket open regarding this, please add the location of the files to my open document/ticket regarding this issue (Issue 2)

"..This can be configured/modified in the Admin Panel settings of the plugin..."

2) Please refer to Issue 6 & Issue 2 in the same ticket / document for this .

Thanks for replying,

awaiting a speedy resolution to these issues !

Please do also let me know who we should talk to regarding this as we need some more answers as we design our site

Thanks

This post was edited by playmusician at October 5, 2018 8:38 AM EDT
    • 145 posts
    October 5, 2018 8:40 AM EDT

Lastly a kind request,

Would be great for SE and SEAo , if all this stuff was clearly & cleanly documented in an online manual 

- the relationships and solutions to this topic.

so customers would not have to find out all this the hard way or by opening tickets .

It would help admins & customers a lot.

Thanks

This post was edited by playmusician at October 5, 2018 8:42 AM EDT
  • gs
    • 820 posts
    October 5, 2018 10:35 PM EDT

Theres no alerts to the user or admin - if he has reached the limit.

Thats been in there for a long time and always wondered why theres no message to let the user and admin know whats going on.

There is also no message to the user and admin if his storage quota has been reached.

Oh boy... I sure hope there are alerts to User and Admin.  I never tested this because, well, some basic functionality has to be presumed to work, right?  At least some.  Everything can't be treated like a Beta (or Alpha).

@playmusician

Is your October 5, 2018 8:33 AM EDT something for the community to address or is this for tickets you have with SEAO but are asking SEAO about them here instead of in their support?  My apol, but I'm confused on this.

RE: #s/Qtys/Limits of things

I can't speak for SE, but so far my experience with numerous 3PD products is that any limits are well defined by their description of the specific product.

RE: Documentation

IMHO, I agree, but every 3PD I've asked says they don't have any.  I can even think if several reasons why they don't, so I just test and test.  

• 145 posts
    October 5, 2018 10:48 PM EDT

Hi Gs,

Thanks for the feedback

"Is your October 5, 2018 8:33 AM EDT something for the community to address or is this for tickets you have with SEAO but are asking SEAO about them here instead of in their support?  My apol, but I'm confused on this...."

It was initially addressed to the community /SE /3Dps whoever -

Was trying to understand:

-how storage quota and upload limits work  on the backend (was cleared up by Donna)

-was still figuring out which which topics are whos domains, as sometimes they can be inter related (as in this case).

Sometimes You don't know as it can be a db or a front end issue which might involve both SE and 3Dps.

"I can't speak for SE, but so far my experience with numerous 3PD products is that any limits are well defined by their description of the specific product."

Thats when everything is hunky dory and all goes as planned., when things go south (which happens ) as when something is not working

It comes down to trying to figure through community posts and as you said ...

test . test. test - rinse and repeat. :)

Detailed Online manuals / Documentation for errors and troubleshooting would help a lot in the future.

Thanks

This post was edited by playmusician at October 5, 2018 10:57 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 820 posts
    October 6, 2018 12:13 AM EDT

==> '...Thats when everything is hunky dory and all goes as planned., when things go south (which happens ) as when something is not working...It comes down to trying to figure through community posts and as you said ...'

I guess I typically compare what software does vs. what the Dev states it does.  I go straight to the Dev of a product first for many reasons.  Typically, no one knows a product better than the Dev company. 

'not working' is sometimes objective, sometimes subjective, sometimes definitive, sometimes vague.

• 145 posts
    October 6, 2018 12:37 AM EDT

thanks gs,

"Typically, no one knows a product better than the Dev company. "

Yup, I have taken that advice to heart .

'not working' is sometimes objective, sometimes subjective, sometimes definitive, sometimes vague..."

Id love to agree, 

but not working is not working - as in when we send screenshots and theres a log error with an error code,

with every ticket I send both - so theres no ambiguity to that.

Things happen and with large meshing of plugins it can even spin out of control for a Dev.

Thats why arming oneself with technical information is key and understanding the basic mechanics of stuff,.

Thats why these posts help get that basic understanding.

Thanks and have a fantastic weekend !!

• 145 posts
    October 6, 2018 12:40 AM EDT

Btw, would love to have your feedback and input before we go live, hopefully in a month.

will send you an invite- poke around and your input would help us make  better site.

Thank You(as always!)

• 2594 posts
    October 6, 2018 5:16 AM EDT

Regarding SE documentation, we have an extensive kb https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1686929-socialengine-php-v4-table-of-contents?_ga=2.87863965.449116582.1538816716-460313322.1538816716 and it does have troubleshooting guides. However, if you need something, please post a request in a separate thread. As this would be a document request, please just post in the help and tips forum section and please be specific as to what you need for default SE stuff (not third party) for us to cover. :)

• 145 posts
    October 6, 2018 12:00 PM EDT

Thanks.

I did a post a question about SE - how do storage quota limits work.

It was answered, Im happy with that

thanks.

• 145 posts
    October 6, 2018 5:40 PM EDT

Hi Donna,

Completed the Storage Quota Test- Just with the stock SE (Album Plugin)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS 

------------------

-It allows any amount to be uploaded.

- AND SAVES above 25 MB 

- It does not give ANY alert to the user/

My Test

----------------------------------------

Member Level - Default

Set Storage Quota  as Maximum 25 MB

Uploaded a 5 photos - with a total of 42 MB

-It uploaded  pictures more than 25 Mb

-It did SAVE pictures more than 25 Mb 

-It did not give any alert or feedback to the user when uploading more than 25 MB

The Storage Quota for Member level does not work as designed.

Heres a video of the test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBT-5f4STA4

What do you recommend we do next?

Also- should I put a separate post on this - which topic  should I post it under?

This post was edited by playmusician at October 6, 2018 6:19 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 820 posts
    October 6, 2018 6:46 PM EDT

Smh... I think I'm going to be sick :( 

If your result can be duplicated by SE, then I think SE has to revisit their testing procedures and standards because if something as basic as this was missed...

@playmusician: thx for testing and for your time

• 145 posts
    October 6, 2018 6:56 PM EDT

yup, Its definitely a severe issue,

cause it affects everything.

Thanks Gs.

• gs
    • 820 posts
    October 6, 2018 7:01 PM EDT

BTW 

I couldn't quite determine this from the video ...

What was the initial Quota setting for the ML ?  i.e. if initially higher, then lowered to 25 while the User was already on the upload page.  I couldn't see the video well on the device I'm on.

• 2594 posts
    October 7, 2018 5:47 AM EDT
    playmusician said:

Hi Donna,

Completed the Storage Quota Test- Just with the stock SE (Album Plugin)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS 

------------------

-It allows any amount to be uploaded.

- AND SAVES above 25 MB 

- It does not give ANY alert to the user/

My Test

----------------------------------------

Member Level - Default

Set Storage Quota  as Maximum 25 MB

Uploaded a 5 photos - with a total of 42 MB

-It uploaded  pictures more than 25 Mb

-It did SAVE pictures more than 25 Mb 

-It did not give any alert or feedback to the user when uploading more than 25 MB

The Storage Quota for Member level does not work as designed.

Heres a video of the test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBT-5f4STA4

What do you recommend we do next?

Also- should I put a separate post on this - which topic  should I post it under?

Yes please follow the posting guidelines and post it in the bug area and I'll test it on my local where I can check the file sizes after upload since I think they are compressed so the total would be different after upload if they are compressed.

• 2594 posts
    October 7, 2018 6:10 AM EDT

Did a quick test. I set default member level to a quota of 1mb. I then uploaded a 1.2mb photo and checked the file size after upload. On my server, the file is compressed to 299kb. So, you would need to test and check file sizes after upload. I'm working on testing that too.

• 2594 posts
    October 7, 2018 6:27 AM EDT

Tested further. With a setting of 1mb for my test user group. I uploaded photos and once I had reached my limit on the server, I could not load more.

I then tested to upload a song and could not as I had reached my storage limit. 

I deleted one photo and tested to upload again and still could not.

I deleted more photos and once I was under the 1mb limit, I could then upload a song if it was small enough to remain under my storage quota. This appears to work, noting the compression and to test when checking the sizes on the server.

This post was edited by Donna at October 7, 2018 6:29 AM EDT
    • 145 posts
    October 7, 2018 1:36 PM EDT

Donna,

But that would be inaccurate if its calculating file size on compressed sizes,

It should calculate on the actual uploaded size.

- How Do we know how much its getting compressed?

- On our server the file is stored "as is" -  the actual file size (uncompressed)

If its calculating  by compressed stored size,

every admin will have to have a formula/algorithm worked out - which is  a hassle.

A user would also get confused as to why his uploads  "works" sometimes and does not sometimes.He would not understand his files are compressed

- each site would be different based on how they've set up the server.

I did the test again,

with the same results as in the video I uploaded.

It should be calculated by actual upload size, to keep it all uniform and not make it confusing to the user.

Thanks

This post was edited by playmusician at October 7, 2018 1:43 PM EDT
    • 145 posts
    October 7, 2018 1:49 PM EDT

GS,

"What was the initial Quota setting for the ML ?  i.e. if initially higher, then lowered to 25 while the User was already on the upload page.  I couldn't see the video well on the device I'm on."

No that was not the case,

This was an empty site - with no users.

Initially, By default its unlimited.

after changing saving  it to 25 Mb, a user was created and  then the tests performed.

Thanks

• 145 posts
    October 7, 2018 1:52 PM EDT

"I deleted more photos and once I was under the 1mb limit, I could then upload a song if it was small enough to remain under my storage quota."

When you say you could not upload a song..

do you mean it just hangs at 1% or does it give you a message saying you cannot upload further due to your quota limit?

• gs
    • 820 posts
    October 7, 2018 5:06 PM EDT
    playmusician said:

GS,

"What was the initial Quota setting for the ML ?  i.e. if initially higher, then lowered to 25 while the User was already on the upload page.  I couldn't see the video well on the device I'm on."

No that was not the case,

This was an empty site - with no users.

Initially, By default its unlimited.

after changing saving  it to 25 Mb, a user was created and  then the tests performed.

Thanks

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

FYI - I agree (for what that's worth) that compression shouldn't matter and I have no idea why SE is automatically compressing files (all files? certain files?).  Is this a Server setting or an SE setting (or worse yet, built in to SE and can't be changed)?  Imagine 2 Users with the same limit uploading files - one can upload Mb or Gb more than the other because we're not comparing apples with apples.  Hopefully someone is simply missing something because what's the point of having a numerical limit on something if it can't be accurately gauged.

• 145 posts
    October 7, 2018 5:37 PM EDT

agreed.

It should be simple , straight forward and documented for admins and users.

This ranks up with the same as -

Validation on any form (including Profile Fields) for admins, when something is input or alerts.

Profile Fields need to be totally validated (single-line, multiple line text etc....) - as these are critical , since a user can enter anything and hack or break the site.

http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/813/profile-qtns-multi-select-qtns-max-no-permitted

That leaves the site vulnerable.

Any kind of form today on the internet is totally validated/ with alerts for admin/users . Its the most basic thing.

Thanks

This post was edited by playmusician at October 7, 2018 6:58 PM EDT
    • 2594 posts
    October 8, 2018 4:39 AM EDT

Feel free to file a feature request to change how it compresses. All social scripts I know of compress the files. It's a better practice for disc storage stuff.