Community

Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Storage Quota vs Upload Counts -priority for disabling uploads?

• 2594 posts
    October 8, 2018 4:40 AM EDT
    playmusician said:

"I deleted more photos and once I was under the 1mb limit, I could then upload a song if it was small enough to remain under my storage quota."

When you say you could not upload a song..

do you mean it just hangs at 1% or does it give you a message saying you cannot upload further due to your quota limit?

It gave a message but I had it in dev mode. I do know of an enhancement request in our radar for changing how that message is given. 

• 145 posts
    October 8, 2018 12:16 PM EDT

Thanks Donna,

I have made my case in this post that Storage Quota is ambigous- per every admins compression settings.- which should be modified to reflect the actual upload sizes.

How do we resolve this quota issue as we cannot base our subscription plans on compressed data which we have no access to figuring out

with hundreds of users - its impossible to go check where files are stored and calculate the compression level.

Besides the compression level is more of a php/apache thing which most admins might not have access to or know where to get this information

A newbie would never figure this out

Besides theres no proper alerts  or stats for admins or users to know whats happening on the backend with storage usage by users.

Its just not realistic

It should be based on upload size.

I am unsure how to progress further....

and use the information from this topic to my site which i hope to bring live soon.

Thanks

Thanks

This post was edited by playmusician at October 8, 2018 12:32 PM EDT
    • 145 posts
    October 8, 2018 12:46 PM EDT

"Feel free to file a feature request to change how it compresses. All social scripts I know of compress the files. It's a better practice for disc storage stuff. "

Just read this.

ok. I will file a feature request.

Thanks

• 2594 posts
    October 8, 2018 1:27 PM EDT

TBH, I prefer things compressed as to many clients that I know of as it conserves disc space. The user is actually only using that compressed space. It is unfair to the user if you set a limit of 10mb and they upload a 2mb file that is compressed to 1mb (that's not the actual compression but just an example) and they are charged for the 2mb when only using the 1mb. Let's say your host did that to you and allowed you 100gb of hard drive space. You upload files that are compressed to 50gb. The host checks the uncompressed size and sees that it's 100gb so he says, hey go pay for more hard drive space but you are only using 50gb of the space. 

• 145 posts
    October 8, 2018 1:46 PM EDT

Thats fair enough,  if there is an accounting process of the space used which is displayed and transparent to the user and admin.

There isn't one.

In the case its compressed, if the user demanded to know why he cant upload or if hes getting ripped off in storage,

what steps would the admin have to take and do to give the user his used/unused space statement? < this would help a lot in real life situations

Admins and users are in the blind as to how much is being used (per user) and how much is left.

So what would  the admin say or do is if a user cannot upload( because of whats going on in the backend )?

Its impossible to keep track of files uploaded with many users.

Thanks

This post was edited by playmusician at October 8, 2018 1:50 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 820 posts
    October 8, 2018 9:14 PM EDT
    Donna said:

TBH, I prefer things compressed as to many clients that I know of as it conserves disc space. The user is actually only using that compressed space. It is unfair to the user if you set a limit of 10mb and they upload a 2mb file that is compressed to 1mb (that's not the actual compression but just an example) and they are charged for the 2mb when only using the 1mb. Let's say your host did that to you and allowed you 100gb of hard drive space. You upload files that are compressed to 50gb. The host checks the uncompressed size and sees that it's 100gb so he says, hey go pay for more hard drive space but you are only using 50gb of the space. 

And others would totally disagree for Users.  Decisions shouldn't be made for us - I'm soooo tired of this (this, and how other scripts do the same because that doesn't make it right or best practice, only popular).  Has SE considered how 2 Users could both upload 25Mb, but one could have space left and the other not (depending on ML Quota)?  

• gs
    • 820 posts
    October 8, 2018 9:20 PM EDT
    playmusician said:

Thats fair enough,  if there is an accounting process of the space used which is displayed and transparent to the user and admin.

There isn't one.

In the case its compressed, if the user demanded to know why he cant upload or if hes getting ripped off in storage,

what steps would the admin have to take and do to give the user his used/unused space statement? < this would help a lot in real life situations

Admins and users are in the blind as to how much is being used (per user) and how much is left.

So what would  the admin say or do is if a user cannot upload( because of whats going on in the backend )?

Its impossible to keep track of files uploaded with many users.

Thanks

Exactly.  At least have a way of easily showing to Users (and ADMIN) what the values are.  Obviously this wasn't thought through because at the minimum there either be a setting for compression and/or a simple way for everyone to see the values.  Now another FR must be created to request another common sense function that should already exist.

• 145 posts
    October 8, 2018 9:41 PM EDT

I for one would not be concerned, If I am told precisely that the file upload size adds to my quota limit.

If I uploaded a 5 mb file, I would expect that to be tallied in the quota (space reserved for me).

If the hosting company decides to save space and compress stuff - thats a technical issue with them and is not my concern how they manage space.

This would anyways be not possible in SE, cause admins/users have no way of  knowing what the storage usage of each user is and how much is remaining.

If you have even 50 users and minimal uploads,  the tracking of a users  quota would be a nightmare - added with a technical compression math algorithm. Users do not care for all that.

".. Has SE considered how 2 Users could both upload 25Mb, but one could have space left and the other not (depending on ML Quota)? .."

great example,

If User A and User B has initially each , only uploaded 25 MB each,

Then theres a compression math to it, 

When User A has reached his limit  and demands to know why? while User B hasnt .

You have to explain the compression algorithm (which is technical and not required)

This would anyways be not possible in SE, cause admins have no way of knowing what the storage limit of each user is and how much is remaining.

It would make more sense to tell both users that the maximum is based on your file upload  size. This is how its done everywhere in the Industry.

It really is not the concern of the user - how space is saved or stored.

Its the same thing as when you takehosting with amazon or a provider,

you have no idea how files are saved, compressed, archived , stored.

That is really not the users problem.

This is standard industry practice.

keep It simple. Just Whatever size you upload is added to your quota. as it should.

I have to agree with gs,

there are  features in the design - that have not been thought through (like Form Validation, Security etc..)  or are obscenely outdated.

And FRs do take a lot of time , specially since these are design issues -and cannot be broken into 100 FRs for 1 abnormality. 

My suggestion is someone (technical+design) should re-evaluate & overhaul the basic features and upgrade / make changes accordingly .

The intention is to have a modern robust secure site.

These are not really FRs , but upgrading/patching and strengthening basic stuff -which is broken , incorrectly designed or outdated.

FRs would take years...

In the meantime while we chase FRs...........

The site is really not  100% secure and businesses taking payment for subscriptions do not have adequate tools & features  - like reports , usage , alerts would risk their online presence.

the 4 types of tools/reporting I feel which are a must :-

1) Organizational/Technical Tools (admin) 2) Productivity Tools  (admin/user) 3) Business Tools (admin/users) 4) Security Tools

Just my 2 cents,.

This post was edited by playmusician at October 8, 2018 11:01 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 820 posts
    October 9, 2018 12:03 AM EDT

@playmusician

I'm beginning to feel we must be crazy to expect 5+5 to equal the same result on the User's side as it does on ours.  Funny how the cloud storage services can do this but somehow scripts can't (and worse yet, it's supposedly good if they can't).  The file size is the file size is the file size.  I just want 5+5 to equal 10 for everyone.  Storage is dold based on raw capacity, not on different capacities based on other factors.  Ugh.  We shouldn't even need to be having this discussion.

• 145 posts
    October 9, 2018 12:35 AM EDT

Generally compression is used for backups & archiving NOT live user data storage.

the files should lie uncompressed.its  With todays hard disk space so cheap ...

https://searchitchannel.techtarget.com/feature/Top-five-data-storage-compression-methods

https://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/Compression-and-wasted-quota-space-in-Windows-NTFS

Microsoft suggests two ways to handle the situation

-- by either not using compression or

---by increasing users' quotas to accommodate the wasted space.

If compression is taking place, then the storage quota needs to be adjusted , 

since we dont have live stats on usage /storage for users - it becomes a blind mans bluff.

Id rather know how m

Other reading

https://searchitchannel.techtarget.com/feature/Top-five-data-storage-compression-methods

This post was edited by playmusician at October 9, 2018 12:38 AM EDT
    • 2594 posts
    October 9, 2018 6:10 AM EDT

We have improvements coming for next version.