Hi Everyone! What do you think?

• 629 posts
    July 16, 2017 4:44 PM EDT
    Stepan said:

There is advertisement on official SocialEngine community website. Is few $ worth it for bad image?

Stepan, welcome to the community!

I like the advertisements. It makes things more connected to related services. No they don't bother me.

Keeping the community free is important in my opinion. And if the ads help earn money for a related service which in turn helps us all, I support such a system.

• 45 posts
    July 16, 2017 7:37 PM EDT
    Elshara Silverheart said:
    Stepan said:

There is advertisement on official SocialEngine community website. Is few $ worth it for bad image?

I like the advertisements. It makes things more connected to related services. No they don't bother me.

Keeping the community free is important in my opinion. And if the ads help earn money for a related service which in turn helps us all, I support such a system.

Everything shown on those ads is not related to me at all. MacKeeper is advertised here (Macs don't have viruses), it's the types of ads you see on torrent websites etc. Advertising socialengine services or marketplace products wouldn't look as bad. I don't mind ads, I'm just saying it looks bad for a company to sell their own product but then also put ads on the website. It doesn't look professional and in my opinion is a bad reputation.

• 629 posts
    July 17, 2017 2:55 AM EDT
    Stepan said:
    Stepan said:

Everything shown on those ads is not related to me at all. MacKeeper is advertised here (Macs don't have viruses), it's the types of ads you see on torrent websites etc. Advertising socialengine services or marketplace products wouldn't look as bad. I don't mind ads, I'm just saying it looks bad for a company to sell their own product but then also put ads on the website. It doesn't look professional and in my opinion is a bad reputation.

I'll immediately bring this up with Donna. If no luck, then with Kile. I two find such ads completely unacceptable. I will black list the adds using ad block plus now. I white listed this site after receiving personal assurances, publicly available from Donna that this site will only contain preapproved ads. I'm sorry but the ads I now see here are not ones I condone at all on this community forums site. So thanks for letting me know. Before they weren't nearly as bad. Things must have changed recently. I won't tolerate ads if they aren't useful to the script. I don't mind local ads like I said but this takes the cake.

After seeing the ads, I revert back to my previous stance. They aren't good for anyone. Unless they really and truly are, community orientated or with people who have specific needs in mind.

Here's the discussion where such conversation existed. Feel free to jump in as you wish.

http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/19/official-video-tutorial-how-to-access-the-admin-panel

The title is the current page. The thread started in the replies section. It may be off topic, but so are the ads!

I'm urging someone to think about what types of advertisements people will really click on here and what types of unknown links you're promoting. I'd rather have someone post social engine websites as ads than some of the ones listed in the ad campaigns at the present moment. I just seen one for fix bad pc and repair registry. that's a huge no no!

• 6923 posts
    July 18, 2017 6:15 AM EDT
    Stepan said:
    Stepan said:

I hand picked the affiliate programs we signed up for. We don't target based on anything like what you are using, we just have about 8 ads running. Some will be helpful and some won't, since we aren't gathering data as to what everyone is doing.

BTW, over 700,000 macs got viruses a few years back and since then, many more have been infected. MacKeeper isn't just for anti-virus. It also helps keep the mac fast.

I picked things that would be helpful to various clients. From register.com that does domains and email and other stuff, to Udemy for classes making mobile apps. Blog posting services to help with content, etc. 

These ads are temporary for a few months unless we find that clients want us to keep adding things they might need and not be able to find discounts for. Some of these ads do have discounts with them.

• 6923 posts
    July 18, 2017 6:18 AM EDT
    Stepan said:
    Stepan said:

I'll immediately bring this up with Donna. If no luck, then with Kile. I two find such ads completely unacceptable. I will black list the adds using ad block plus now. I white listed this site after receiving personal assurances, publicly available from Donna that this site will only contain preapproved ads. I'm sorry but the ads I now see here are not ones I condone at all on this community forums site. So thanks for letting me know. Before they weren't nearly as bad. Things must have changed recently. I won't tolerate ads if they aren't useful to the script. I don't mind local ads like I said but this takes the cake.

After seeing the ads, I revert back to my previous stance. They aren't good for anyone. Unless they really and truly are, community orientated or with people who have specific needs in mind.

Here's the discussion where such conversation existed. Feel free to jump in as you wish.

http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/19/official-video-tutorial-how-to-access-the-admin-panel

The title is the current page. The thread started in the replies section. It may be off topic, but so are the ads!

I'm urging someone to think about what types of advertisements people will really click on here and what types of unknown links you're promoting. I'd rather have someone post social engine websites as ads than some of the ones listed in the ad campaigns at the present moment. I just seen one for fix bad pc and repair registry. that's a huge no no!

It is unfair to say I was dishonest. I picked every affiliate we joined. I put every ad on the site based on things I thought would be interesting. The MacKeeper is something I've used for years. Nothing here is a random ad. It's all affiliate from Rakuten Linkshare program. They've thousands to pick from. I thought I had chosen some pretty good ones for a variety of things to have discounts for as many offer discounts to clients. 

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at July 18, 2017 8:25 AM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    July 23, 2017 1:37 PM EDT

Question for SE: Is this forum using the new 4.09.* Responsive Theme or the SE Mobi Plugin?  I ask because when using my Android Tablet (or phone), the layout is different and I loose some of the widgets (even if I select 'Full Site' in the Footer or 'Request Desktop Site' type setting from browsers).  I'm used to the Theme I use on my site still showing me everything (possibly displayed slightly differently due to screen dims), but not actually eliminating content/widgets.

This post was edited by gs at August 7, 2017 1:26 PM EDT
    • 629 posts
    July 23, 2017 2:42 PM EDT
    gs said:

Question for SE: Is this forum using the new 4.09.* Responsive Theme or the SE Mobi Plugin?  I ask because when using my Android Tablet (or phone), the layout is different and I loose some fo the widgets (even if I select 'Full Site' in the Footer or 'Request Desktop Site' type setting from browsers).  I'm used to the Theme I use on my site still showing me everything (possibly displayed slightly differently due to screen dims), but not actually eliminating content/widgets.

To the best of my knowledge, everything is core here.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 23, 2017 10:53 PM EDT

==>"To the best of my knowledge, everything is core here."

Yes I'm sure it's Core with no 3rd-Party products, but I am trying to find out what the configuration is (which SE theme, mobi enabled or disabled, etc.).  For example, I just happened to notice that what I mentioned about missing widgets and different layouts is only after I login.  When not logged-in, widgets are displayed but the page isn't in the same layout as desktop.  I am just used to a responsive theme handling things extremely well, so I'm trying to determine why things seem 'off' here.

This post was edited by gs at July 23, 2017 10:55 PM EDT
    • 629 posts
    July 23, 2017 11:50 PM EDT
    gs said:

==>"To the best of my knowledge, everything is core here."

Yes I'm sure it's Core with no 3rd-Party products, but I am trying to find out what the configuration is (which SE theme, mobi enabled or disabled, etc.).  For example, I just happened to notice that what I mentioned about missing widgets and different layouts is only after I login.  When not logged-in, widgets are displayed but the page isn't in the same layout as desktop.  I am just used to a responsive theme handling things extremely well, so I'm trying to determine why things seem 'off' here.

Yes the mobile plugin is enabled here. I see it in the footer.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 7, 2017 1:04 PM EDT

I wish the Recent Forum Posts and Recent Forum Topics 'View All' links did just that - provided an entire list in chronological order of the Posts and Topics (just like these 2 widgets initially do).  Instead, these links simply open up the Main Forum page you're already looking at.  I typically look at the most recent Posts and Topics to see what's new since the last time I checked.

I don't want the existing Widgets to list more items because how many 'more' is enough?  If the 'View All' link did what it logically should, then this would allow us to View All if we wanted to see more than those in the Widget.

• 6923 posts
    August 7, 2017 1:07 PM EDT
    gs said:

Question for SE: Is this forum using the new 4.09.* Responsive Theme or the SE Mobi Plugin?  I ask because when using my Android Tablet (or phone), the layout is different and I loose some fo the widgets (even if I select 'Full Site' in the Footer or 'Request Desktop Site' type setting from browsers).  I'm used to the Theme I use on my site still showing me everything (possibly displayed slightly differently due to screen dims), but not actually eliminating content/widgets.

Sorry, I missed this question. We are using the  mobile plugin.

• 6923 posts
    August 7, 2017 1:08 PM EDT
    gs said:

I wish the Recent Forum Posts and Recent Forum Topics 'View All' links did just that - provided an entire list in chronological order of the Posts and Topics (just like these 2 widgets initially do).  Instead, these links simply open up the Main Forum page you're already looking at.  I typically look at the most recent Posts and Topics to see what's new since the last time I checked.

I don't want the existing Widgets to list more items because how many 'more' is enough?  If the 'View All' link did what it logically should, then this would allow us to View All if we wanted to see more than those in the Widget.

This is the default. Please submit a feature request as it would require a change to the core widgets.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 7, 2017 1:23 PM EDT

==>"This is the default. Please submit a feature request as it would require a change to the core widgets."

'Default'  Surprised about this - what's the point of a View All (of the thing you're viewing) if it doesn't 'View All' (of the thing you're viewing)?  That's like a widget displaying 'Recent Shirts for Sale' but 'View All' displays all clothing for the entire site instead of 'Viewing All (shirts)'. 

I already created an FR (below) that (for me) would be better and in effect, replace the need for Recent Forum/Topics Widgets.  The below github option is an example of a very flexible and useful mechanism (which I wish was also used for the Activity Feed, but since I use a 3rd-Party AF, I've recommended it to them for their AF).

http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/36/forum-topic-sort-options-similar-to-github

This post was edited by gs at August 7, 2017 1:31 PM EDT
    • 629 posts
    September 9, 2017 1:27 AM EDT

I also would appreciate this behavior for forums. It works this way in every other module. Polls, blogs, photos, albums, music playlists, videeos, groups, events and yes, even members! Which doesn't provide such sorting options by default. So you know what I did? I created an items in the browse menus for each modules so that they are accessible in the main navigation.

Forums haven't had any work done to them in a long time and it would only be fitting for the widget to be forum or category specific to show recent and popular discussions as an index list.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    October 11, 2017 8:07 PM EDT

==>"We are using the  mobile plugin"

Has SE decided whether or not they will implement their Atlas Responsive Theme here without the Mobile Plugin?

I ask because of having to switch between Full/ Mobile site setting on mobile devices in order to either view content or access my notifications in the Mini-Header or even login.

• 6923 posts
    October 12, 2017 4:26 AM EDT

We hadn't as this is a custom theme but I can ask. I have Atlas for my author site too. 

• June 1, 2020 9:47 AM EDT

Looks good to me!

• 6923 posts
    June 1, 2020 9:52 AM EDT

Thank you!