Community

Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Buy and try templates and/or plugins on free trial

• 6 posts
    July 28, 2017 6:35 AM EDT

Hi, i'm new to SE and this community. I'm currently testing SE PHP hosted by hostiso and before buying the whole SE PHP bundle, i wanted to buy and try out a template and maybe some plugins just to test a bit forward the environnement. Am i going toward problems when i will want to activate the license key of SE PHP? Will i have to uninstall and reinstall template/plugin?

• 823 posts
    July 28, 2017 7:04 AM EDT
    fredfred said:

Hi, i'm new to SE and this community. I'm currently testing SE PHP hosted by hostiso and before buying the whole SE PHP bundle, i wanted to buy and try out a template and maybe some plugins just to test a bit forward the environnement. Am i going toward problems when i will want to activate the license key of SE PHP? Will i have to uninstall and reinstall template/plugin?

Welcome Fredfred!

I'm not sure what you mean by "buy and try." Make sure you only get authorized products and not any nulled products from "pirate" sites if you want to try things. As long as you get actual, authorized products, you should have no issues. Can't guarantee no issues with that hosting as I don't use them and so I don't know if they have any set up issues.

• 27 posts
    July 28, 2017 7:10 AM EDT

I'm currently testing SE PHP hosted by hostiso and before buying the whole SE PHP bundle

These guys were recommended by Hire-experts, a great third party plugin maker.

That was my path too, though on another host.

I did the test and after the trial, I purchased and re-upload the paid-for version.

I think you will be fine as long as you dont do... 

nulled products from "pirate" sites...

• 6 posts
    July 28, 2017 7:18 AM EDT

Thanks Donna! i was just meaning to buy plugin and template to start working with it before buying the full SE PHP. In case I change my mind, loosing the money for a template and/or a plugin (from Hire-Experts for instance) is less than loosing the money for SE PHP Advanced!

By the way, and just FMI, what hosting do you use? Hostiso is hosting provider recommended by Hire-Experts. It seems to work fast and they replyed quickly so far. I have been hesitating with TMD Hosting and Fastcomet.

Thank you,

Fred

• 6 posts
    July 28, 2017 7:22 AM EDT
    Wale said:
    I think you will be fine as long as you dont do... 

nulled products from "pirate" sites...

Thanks Wale. Yes that was a bit tempting to try nulled theme but i resisted the temptation ;)

• 823 posts
    July 28, 2017 7:24 AM EDT
    fredfred said:

Thanks Donna! i was just meaning to buy plugin and template to start working with it before buying the full SE PHP. In case I change my mind, loosing the money for a template and/or a plugin (from Hire-Experts for instance) is less than loosing the money for SE PHP Advanced!

By the way, and just FMI, what hosting do you use? Hostiso is hosting provider recommended by Hire-Experts. It seems to work fast and they replyed quickly so far. I have been hesitating with TMD Hosting and Fastcomet.

Thank you,

Fred

I tried several hosts before and had crashed sites too many times. I moved to Cazaratech a few years ago and haven't looked back since. However, if you like hostiso, go with what you like. If it has issues once you get going, it's not hard to change hosts. Just don't get a yearly plan in case you don't like the hosting.

• 6 posts
    July 28, 2017 8:01 AM EDT

Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience, those Cazaratech servers seems real fast. Yes I took a monthly plan for now, we'll see.

Thanks

• July 28, 2017 1:57 PM EDT

Welcome to the community!

Get a trial install. It works for 30 days. Upload it to the public_html and then just add mysql database and you can try all social engine has to offer.

as for plugins and themes you can start with 37 themes and 11 plugins core provides.

• July 28, 2017 1:58 PM EDT

Some third party providers have admin demos you can try and have front end access using the same username or create your own account.

• July 28, 2017 2:00 PM EDT

Hosting. Fast Comet doesn't know how to install social engine properly. They blame social engine documentation for their errors.

Host ISO is very pushy for upgrades when your server gets going.

Just go with Cazaratech or amazon aws ec2 and you should be fine.

• 40 posts
    July 31, 2017 7:37 AM EDT

Few things to keep in mind. Most developers don't test plugins with the trial SocialEngine (but with a normal version instead). So expect that something might not be working.

When you will decide to proceed with SocialEngine - I advise to install it not over the trial, but make a clean setup. 

We have used Hostiso for few projects - they are pretty good. You can count that WebHive recommends them as well

• gs
    • 282 posts
    July 31, 2017 11:08 AM EDT
    Elshara Silverheart said:

Hosting. Fast Comet doesn't know how to install social engine properly. They blame social engine documentation for their errors.

Host ISO is very pushy for upgrades when your server gets going.

Just go with Cazaratech or amazon aws ec2 and you should be fine.

I know we discussed this directly, but I just want to share here that my experience is that FastComet does know how to install SE and migrated my site in 2015 and has performed every SE upgrade I asked for since then, including the latest 4.09.02 with PHP 7.1 and REDIS.  I can only speak of dedicated and VPS plans, not shared hosting as I simply don't believe in expecting shared hosting to meet my needs with SE.

• 6 posts
    August 22, 2017 8:33 AM EDT

i just realise all answers to my thread. I hadn't set notifications on so i didn't check back.

Thx for your feeback Elshara. Just for the input, i had try hire-expert demo and thought it was really slow. I asked them and understood it was coming from the server and not the software.

Thanks for all replies. I had a few issues which required hostiso support service and they were really fast and efficient. The basic business plan (<10€/month) is working pretty well for SE just in developpement phase (almost no users using the platform).

• September 9, 2017 9:56 PM EDT

That's good to know. I think any host which runs things fast and efficiently works well.

TMD is probably my choice overall.

• 26 posts
    November 6, 2017 5:10 PM EST

My opnion is late, but maybe for other people it serves.

TMD Hosting very good and unbeatable service.

A tip, do not put any SocialEngineAddons plugin, not only the support service is bad, the plugins give all problems.

I have 15 plugins of them and I live bitter.

• November 8, 2017 7:38 AM EST
    ANGAR said:

My opnion is late, but maybe for other people it serves.

TMD Hosting very good and unbeatable service.

A tip, do not put any SocialEngineAddons plugin, not only the support service is bad, the plugins give all problems.

I have 15 plugins of them and I live bitter.

Angar, we respect your opinion but, we do not completely agree with this. 

We have been providing an exemplary level of support to our clients and the same can be figured out by having a look at the reviews we have recently got on our Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/SocialEngineAddOns/reviews & on our Developer Profile: https://www.socialengine.com/experts/profile/socialengineaddons

We understand the fact that you find it difficult to communicate with us due to the language issue. But, we have always tried to help you out wherever possible, all the tickes filed by you are under resolved status. Sometimes there might be a small delay in providing the  solution but, we have always tried our level best to provide the solution within 24 hours of filing the support ticket. 

As communicated in one of the other threads we can exchange our thoughts via different means of communication if one of the mode doesn't seem to work out. 

This post was edited by SocialEngineAddOns at November 8, 2017 7:38 AM EST
    • 26 posts
    November 8, 2017 8:54 AM EST

We agree that the language problem is the greatest to be able to understand each other. Not all the problems that I have raised are solved, there are some problems that have not been solved for some time. I understand that I am not the only client that you have and that I have to wait sometimes. I also understand that not all the problems I have with the plugins are your fault. SocialEngine makes updates and changes in the core and the work that generates to update all your plugins is huge. So I understand that one is half updated or not updated and problems. What I want you to understand is that my profession is not the developer, I work in the hotel business 12 - 18 hours a day. The time I dedicate to the web, translation of language, decoration, etc. It's what I can. I have already months in which to sleep I spend 4 - 5 hours a day maximum, because of the page or some problematic plugin and I am already ... 58 years old. I have had many occasions, in which the page has not worked and I have spliced ​​one day with another without sleeping. I hope you understand my despair with the problems generated by the plugins.

• November 9, 2017 2:01 AM EST
    ANGAR said:

We agree that the language problem is the greatest to be able to understand each other. Not all the problems that I have raised are solved, there are some problems that have not been solved for some time. I understand that I am not the only client that you have and that I have to wait sometimes. I also understand that not all the problems I have with the plugins are your fault. SocialEngine makes updates and changes in the core and the work that generates to update all your plugins is huge. So I understand that one is half updated or not updated and problems. What I want you to understand is that my profession is not the developer, I work in the hotel business 12 - 18 hours a day. The time I dedicate to the web, translation of language, decoration, etc. It's what I can. I have already months in which to sleep I spend 4 - 5 hours a day maximum, because of the page or some problematic plugin and I am already ... 58 years old. I have had many occasions, in which the page has not worked and I have spliced ​​one day with another without sleeping. I hope you understand my despair with the problems generated by the plugins.

We undersatnd your concern here. We always try to keep our plugins up-do date abiding by the standards set by SocialEngine. Whenever SocialEngine releases a new upgrade, we are always the first 3rd party developer to release compatible version of our plugins so that our clients may not face any inconvenience becasue of the upgrades done by core.

We have rechecked at our end and there are 2 tickets which are un-resolved. We are currently working on them and will be providing the solution soon. 
    If you have any other issues with any of the plugin, you may report us the same via support tickets and we assure you of quick solutions. 

This post was edited by SocialEngineAddOns at November 9, 2017 2:05 AM EST