How/where to turn off signup?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 31, 2017 1:53 PM EDT

I can't seem to find this setting in the ADMINcp.  In addition:

- Login page 'content' widget doesn't have options for sign-in/sign-up

- Landing Page 'Login or Signup' User Block doesn't have options for sign-in/sign-up

- 'sign-in required' page doesn't have options for sign-in/sign-up

Can all 3 of the above be edited in LM (and then edited back when I wish to allow Sign-up)?

Yes, I realize I can simply remove the Content Block from the Signup Page in Layout Editor, but I don't want to do that (I still want that page as it is; I simply don't want to allow someone to know Sign-Up is possible and link to Sign-Up from the LP and 2 Login pages).

Thanks

• 6923 posts
    July 31, 2017 3:42 PM EDT

This tutorial, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/1642532-admin-panel---settings->-signup-process?b_id=14386 will guide you on how to do that. What I did was to set it to invite only and have only admin allowed to invite.That worked for me when setting up my site.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 31, 2017 4:56 PM EDT
    Donna said:

This tutorial, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/1642532-admin-panel---settings->-signup-process?b_id=14386 will guide you on how to do that. What I did was to set it to invite only and have only admin allowed to invite.That worked for me when setting up my site.

Thanks, but I already looked at that and tried it but it doesn't do what I require.  The point is to allow signups on from the signup page (i.e. through using the URL either manually or via link in email) but NOT to tease people that they may sign up on the 3 pages mentioned above.

The Theme I have (and some I used in the past) have options for Enabling/Disabling Login/Signup independently of each other, so I just figured that SE had something this basic as well since I need to use an additional login widget/block.  I may just have to add this as an FR.  I'm just surprised there's no simple independent Enable/Disable for these two functions. 

• 6923 posts
    August 1, 2017 4:45 AM EDT

Let me see what I did on my demo. Maybe I have a solution. I don't recall.

• 6923 posts
    August 1, 2017 4:46 AM EDT

Yeah, I removed signup from each thing. Will go see how.

• 6923 posts
    August 1, 2017 4:51 AM EDT

In the menu editor, I disabled the Signup menu from the mini menu. 

In the block, I had to edit that to remove signup.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 1, 2017 1:05 PM EDT
    Donna said:

In the menu editor, I disabled the Signup menu from the mini menu. 

In the block, I had to edit that to remove signup.

RE: Mini Menu - that's already not an issue due to the Theme I'm using

==>"In the block..."

Where did you edit that (LM?)?  Should I simply edit all 3 of the instances from the OP using LM (and then edit them back later if/when I want to include SignUp)?

• 6923 posts
    August 1, 2017 2:53 PM EDT

I edited mine in the files. The template files. So, in my case it was a source edit.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 1, 2017 3:11 PM EDT

Thanks Donna.  I'm not going to do that (I prefer to not edit anything that potentially requires re-edits upon upgrades).  I'll add this as a FR.

• 629 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:06 AM EDT

The easiest and most convenient way is just to control where you want people to sign up from. I.E. A dedicated register page you can only get to either site wide, or from a specific series of steps.

Do this by controlling what widgets and links load where. This is why social engine is a great site builder.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:35 PM EDT

==>"The easiest and most convenient way is just to control where you want people to sign up from. I.E. A dedicated register page you can only get to either site wide, or from a specific series of steps."

Actually, I'm not trying to control where they may 'signup' from, but rather be able to Enable/Disalbe the existing methods.  Many circumstances automatically load certain pages (ex. LP gets loaded upon exiting SE; Sign-In-Required gets loaded under numerous circumstances) - thus I need to eliminate SignUp from existing anywhere (until I am ready to Enable it).  As I mentioned in the OP there's no Enable/Disable settings anywhere, and it seems some of the text may just have to simply be edited in LM.

Yes, a dedicated page is great but since the existing pages still load 'sign-up' options, I must change these since I can't easily prevent them from loading.  Basically the goal is to use the Login Page to login, and eventually allow signups. 

I was just hoping that something as simple as not allowing SignUps would be an on/off switch.  But just like a switch for enabling/disabling all outgoing mail doesnt' exist, this doesn't either.  I just don't get it, but I guess I never will