Understanding Error & Warning Logs

• 201 posts
    October 25, 2018 6:00 PM EDT

Anyone have some input where to find more documentation to help understand the logs and how to interpret when they need attention.  I see in the knowledge base the categories as below but no other info.

WARN: Warnings won't break your site; however, they can let you know there is something in the code that should be fixed to run properly. 

I have never seen a SE default site without warnings so I think I should educate myself. Is it common for default SE to show warnings and errors and things run smoothly. Can I safely ignore warnings?

The log is difficult to grab the correct code as it rolls into several pages.

As an example from my site below what point does in this warning does the error text start and end. I think I have grabbed the start and end of the entire error but unsure.

Strangely there is no #12 and inside the warning is the text CRIT...which make me nervous.

2018-10-25T20:49:32+00:00 WARN (4): [2] include_once(): Failed opening 'PEAR/Error.php' for inclusion (include_path='/home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries:/home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/PEAR:.') (/home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Loader.php) [103] Error Code: 71b335 Stack trace: #0 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Loader.php(103): include_once() #1 (unknown file)(0): Engine_Loader::autoload('PEAR_Error') #2 (unknown file)(0): spl_autoload_call('PEAR_Error') #3 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/PEAR/PEAR/Exception.php(255): class_exists('PEAR_Error') #4 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/PEAR/PEAR/Exception.php(327): PEAR_Exception->getCauseMessage(Array) #5 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/PEAR/PEAR/Exception.php(318): PEAR_Exception->toHtml() #6 (unknown file)(0): PEAR_Exception->__toString() #7 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Log/Formatter/Simple.php(103): str_replace('%exception%', HTTP_OAuth_Consumer_Exception_InvalidResponse, '2018-10-25T20:49:32+00:00 CRIT (...') #8 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Log/Writer/Stream.php(131): Zend_Log_Formatter_Simple->format(Array) #9 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Log/Writer/Abstract.php(88): Zend_Log_Writer_Stream->_write(Array) #10 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Log.php(464): Zend_Log_Writer_Abstract->write(Array) #11 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/modules/Core/controllers/ErrorController.php(48): Zend_Log->log(' Error Code: fd0897 errorAction() #13 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Dispatcher/Standard.php(308): Zend_Controller_Action->dispatch('errorAction') #14 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/Zend/Controller/Front.php(954): Zend_Controller_Dispatcher_Standard->dispatch(Zend_Controller_Request_Http, Zend_Controller_Response_Http) #15 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/modules/Core/Bootstrap.php(84): Zend_Controller_Front->dispatch() #16 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/libraries/Engine/Application.php(160): Core_Bootstrap->run() #17 /home/mywebsite/public_html/application/index.php(223): Engine_Application->run() #18 /home/mywebsite/public_html/boot.php(47): include('/home/mywebsite/public_html/appli...') #19 /home/mywebsite/public_html/index.php(24): Engine_Boot->boot() #20 {main}

This post was edited by Miami Shade at October 25, 2018 6:18 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    October 26, 2018 4:30 AM EDT

Looks like a server error with pear. Have you asked the host? Have you also double checked permissions? They need to be recursively set per this tut, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/2777304-optimized-file-and-folder-permissions?b_id=14386 . Here is one google result for your issue, https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13799755/php-warning-include-once-failed-opening-for-inclusion-include-path-c/13800220 but I don't know if it'll help. Maybe a plugin is looking for the wrong path? Try permissions first and then see if that resolves the issue.

Error logs and warning logs contain valuable information. However, you should clear them out frequently in order to conserve server resources. The error log should be empty. My error log is empty on my site. No errors. So if you have errors in your error log, start there and get with anyone who shows in it. You'll see what an error goes to within the lines.

Warnings aren't great to see. If you can get those nailed down and fixed, that's best. If they are just basic warnings, you can ignore them and keep a schedule to clear the warnings log.

• 201 posts
    October 26, 2018 4:11 PM EDT

Thanks for that feedback @Donna. I have quadruple ++ checked permissions they are good that I am confident about; as for PEAR still working with my hosting company to figure this out. When I look at my SE admin server settings I don't see anything listed as PEAR but not sure if I should and the SE demo is restricted there. I don't see it listed as a requirement in SE server requirements. I do see it listed as a extension in my cPanel but nothing configured. I think I will wait until it reappears as a warning again maybe its not required.

• 71 posts
    November 26, 2018 3:37 AM EST

@ Miami Shade

Make sure permissions were set via ssh and not ftp. As depending on server setup ftp connection might not set them correctly. I've learned that on my own at some point.