SUBSCRIPTION PLANS | Transactions

• 201 posts
    November 4, 2018 11:42 AM EST

Hello All,

I find this very odd.  In my settings > billing > transactions all my personal PayPal activity is in part (credits) are showing in my SE transactions.  The table below is a sample of what I see and the same personal unrelated deposit is in my PayPal account. Is this normal?

31 Deleted or Unknown Member PayPal Payment Okay $42.05 (USD) November 1, 2018 4:59 AM EDT details
    • 201 posts
    November 4, 2018 11:54 AM EST

Or more importantly is this anything to be concerned about. IPN?

This post was edited by Miami Shade at November 4, 2018 6:12 PM EST
    • 201 posts
    November 5, 2018 7:37 AM EST

I checked as many demos as I can find but no one has subscriptions activated to check, my first guess is PayPal is reporting back to my site any IPN transaction in my PayPal account.

• 6923 posts
    November 5, 2018 7:46 AM EST

I am not sure what you mean. Was that not a subscription from your site or some other purchase from your site by a user? 

• 201 posts
    November 5, 2018 8:28 AM EST

No it was not.  It was a unrelated payment to me in my personal PayPal account. I have many entries in my subscriptions that are completely unrelated to the website.  They are from my PayPal account.

This post was edited by Miami Shade at November 5, 2018 8:31 AM EST
    • 378 posts
    November 5, 2018 9:02 AM EST

That is very odd - I use PayPal for ticket sales on my site and SegPay for subscriptions. 

I only see ticket sales in my dashboard from PayPal and only see Subscriptions from SegPay (each in the proper area of the dashboard)

• 201 posts
    November 5, 2018 9:05 AM EST

Hi @ITLJames do you have IPN enabled at PayPal.  The only thing it is reporting back to the website is when my PayPal account receives money (both website subscriptions & unrelated personal payments received)

This post was edited by Miami Shade at November 5, 2018 9:09 AM EST
    • 201 posts
    November 5, 2018 9:13 AM EST

This is how my transactions tab looks. The first row is a member the other two are personal payments into my PayPal

scottyguy506 PayPal Payment Okay $20.00 (USD) November 3, 2018 5:56 PM EDT details 6 Deleted or Unknown Member PayPal Payment Okay $42.05 (USD) November 1, 2018 4:59 AM EDT details 5 Deleted or Unknown Member PayPal Payment Okay $15.19 (USD) October 24, 2018 10:57 PM EDT details
    This post was edited by Miami Shade at November 5, 2018 9:14 AM EST
    • 6923 posts
    November 5, 2018 3:52 PM EST

Maybe there's a setting at Paypal that needs to be changed for the api in your account? I've not heard of the issue you show above before.

• 201 posts
    November 5, 2018 5:24 PM EST
    Yes very strange. I enabled IPN at PayPal maybe I don’t need to do that? I’ll check knowledge base at SE.
    • 201 posts
    November 5, 2018 5:30 PM EST
    Just checked it says to enable IPN at PayPal. It appears SE will allow all notifications in and not restricting it to the transaction number. I can’t imagine my API is any different then anyone else’s. A puzzle.
    • 6923 posts
    November 6, 2018 5:00 AM EST

Can you please make sure your IPN is set up exactly as the tut shows though? There were different options when setting up the IPN and you would choose the one listed in the tut. https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1644477-admin-panel---billing->-gateways

• 201 posts
    November 6, 2018 8:02 AM EST

Hello @Donna,

So far I verified my API setup is exactly as shown in the knowledge base - no variables.

I reviewed all the PayPal developer information I could and found this:

PayPal sends all account payment received notifications to the IPN website URL as set up in PayPal account settings and does not differentiate payments received. (Only certain types of advanced payments would trigger an IPN such as those from GoDaddy or Google Payments. These are the kind I receive).

PayPal indicates that it is a function of the SocialEngine Listener Script to validate the transaction record and the incoming purchase URL matches the IPN reporting URL.

This may be a challenge to replicate and may have gone unreported as the same parameters may be uncommon. 

This post was edited by Miami Shade at November 6, 2018 8:02 AM EST
    • 6923 posts
    November 6, 2018 8:29 AM EST

I forgot to ask you to verify one more thing due to what I re-read in one of your comments above. Please verify that step 1 was followed and you created a business paypal account for this. It doesn't work with a personal account and most clients use a separate business paypal to keep things separated from personal and business and because it works with business and not personal.

• 201 posts
    November 6, 2018 9:01 AM EST

For sure I have a Business Account. In most cases PayPal doesn't allow multiple business accounts. Everything works great. Subscriptions are working as intended. I am just wondering what is happening in the database if it is capturing other IPNs so far I don't think it is anything really big to worry about.