Community

Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Dangers of Promises - Feedback to Experts

• 1 posts
    November 19, 2018 9:56 AM EST

I have an author social network that's been a bit stagnant. I've just not had a lot of time for it lately. However, my plan was to reinvigorate it once I got a particular plugin for it. 

This plugin is an Articles system similar to one I had at phpFox v3. It was such an awesome plugin for authors as it allowed some more advanced features such as posting chapters within an article; scheduling posts; posting a nice banner with the main article; sorting chapters; hashtags or tags, etc. 

Last year, yes over a year ago, I contacted SES about their articles plugin and asked whether it did what I wanted as their description sounded like it might. I also asked if they would be submitting it as certified as I only use certified on my site. They said they would "soon" and that the features I described were not in the plugin but they sounded like something clients would like so they would implement those too.

Well, it's over a year later and "soon" seems to be never. 

This erodes trust in an expert. Don't promise "soon" if the timeframe is many months or over a year for release. Don't keep saying, "we'll release it this week" when someone asks. If you can't do it, say so. 

I had told a few other clients of this plugin and they too were waiting. Not sure if they still are. 

Due to this, I had to put my community plans on hold for over a year now. I'm at the point of perhaps closing it as I don't have what I need in order for the authors to post as they like. I don't seem to have an expert who is interested in earning money, getting a review on their product (I always review everything I use), or in providing good customer service.

I completely understand the development process. I never asked for an actual date in the beginning. However, as months dragged on, I did start to ask. There is only one Friday in the week. There is only one this week in this week. These are not infinite things. This Friday passes into Next Friday. This week, into next week. This year into next year. And this client into the abyss.