Community

Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

iOS and Android Programmer

• 11 posts
    November 24, 2018 7:57 PM EST

I have plugins on my site from SocialEngineAddOns along with there native mobile apps. My problem is enhancing and fixes that were promised almost a year ago is still not done, just empty promises.

I need enhancements done on Business Pages Directory for both website and mobile apps. The major problem is on the mobile apps. The layout for the Business Places Listing is totally just thrown together. The back photo doesnt show correctly and to large if you upload photo from website on the native mobile apps, the layout of the main screen looks no better than a group layout design and i am tired of waiting for them to fix.

Does anyone have a programmer in mind that will do this and provide amount or cost.

• 69 posts
    November 25, 2018 5:45 AM EST
    I know an iOS developer who has made some impressive apps. I’ll reach out to him and ask if this is something he can do and is interested in.
    • 69 posts
    November 25, 2018 7:40 AM EST
    Ok Dwayne I’ve spoke with the person I know. They have some questions. So please answer with as much detail as you can.

Do you want a new app or optimisations to the existing app?

Do you have the app file itself ?

Do you have the app listed under your own Apple developers license or is it under social engine addons developer license ?

What functionality do you require.

I’m sorry for the questions but it’s all in the details.
    • 157 posts
    November 26, 2018 4:38 AM EST
    Dwayne said:

I have plugins on my site from SocialEngineAddOns along with there native mobile apps. My problem is enhancing and fixes that were promised almost a year ago is still not done, just empty promises.

I need enhancements done on Business Pages Directory for both website and mobile apps. The major problem is on the mobile apps. The layout for the Business Places Listing is totally just thrown together. The back photo doesnt show correctly and to large if you upload photo from website on the native mobile apps, the layout of the main screen looks no better than a group layout design and i am tired of waiting for them to fix.

Does anyone have a programmer in mind that will do this and provide amount or cost.

Hi Dwayne,

We have sent you an email for this. We would really appreciate if you may revert there.

Best Regards,

Team SocialEngineAddOns

• 11 posts
    November 28, 2018 4:30 PM EST

PeppaPigKilla

I do have the mobile apps listed on both Android and iOS for download. I’m in the process of renewing those memberships as we speak. I wasn’t too quick on renewing because of too many guests not happy with the look especially on the business page listings. As a matter of fact, I had to disable that able because it was reflecting bad reviews of my site and in my opinion like another member stated poorly written and was no different than a Groups app.

What I am looking for is a redesign of the code for Business Place Listings to typically reflect the same function as you would find with the Facebook business places. Also, the home page on the Native Mobile Apps for both android and iOS to have a similar layout as Facebooks business places and you can get an idea of this just by logging into a Facebook business places page. People are a creature of habit, so they would expect something similar.

Another area I would like to create is a loyalty app that rewards members with points for their activity only, people they refer to join, sharing etc.… I would also like it to where they can use those points to free adds, other levels of membership etc.

I have a lot of plans.

• 11 posts
    November 28, 2018 4:44 PM EST

SocialEngineAddOns

Yes, I have received your emails BUT am hesitant to reply back because your team never does what they say.  I have numerous times asked about your business listing pages layout and functions and a fix with the main back photo showing to be too large on off on the Native Mobile Apps. I have made suggestions time after time for improvements and this was almost a year ago with no changes.

You also list your loyalty plugin with plans to implement into your Native Mobile Apps which hasn’t been implemented as of this date. These plans of implementing have been listed for a year now.

Most social network sites are on mobile now. Why would you sell apps if they are not compatible with your mobile apps already?

Your apps could be so much better if you just took advise from your customers. When you don’t, customers go elsewhere to get things done. These are the reasons why I don’t purchase your membership because it will take that whole year’s membership to see any improvements or addons to those apps.

• 59 posts
    November 28, 2018 5:52 PM EST

Agree Dwayne, SEAO and their apps are garbage, they do the gab and grab routine. After 6 months on a non functioning app after payment and many promises to fix things and to make changes that were "coming in a few months" we stopped using the app to allow time for their work and improvements to be completed. After we were ready to take a 2nd look, they tried to go back on the previous arrangement once the apps were approved. After sending multiple copies of past conversations, they agreed and asked for more information from us. When we went to reply, we had a message that our support was expired and would would need to pay to respond to their final question which would have closed the issue.... classic extend until they are forced to pay more routing, which happened in the very fist place.... Paying for an app over 6 months, that had severe issues and that did not even have features they had listed on their own store.... stay away from any of the current 3rd party developers and any of their mobile apps, spend a little money and have some custom done using the SEAO API...which can be extended very easily... do NOT trust their promises when it comes to their mobile apps.

• 69 posts
    November 28, 2018 5:57 PM EST

Is the API worth the buy ? 

I'm becoming concerned about the bad experiences some users are having. 

• 59 posts
    November 28, 2018 6:00 PM EST

I would say yes, they have made the API easy to extend and offer instructions on extending their API to other non SEAO modules or anything custom you might have done.

• 69 posts
    November 28, 2018 6:04 PM EST

Thanks i'll look into it. 

• 59 posts
    November 28, 2018 6:05 PM EST

To be honest, SEAO and SES, quite frankly have a monopoly in the SE module market, and it has become easy for them to force their will of trying to get any extra money from the customer base... all due to their own bad programing and rush to "one up" each other. I have never seen software that has so many issues as I have with many SE's 3PD. You will find the theme is common, and somehow, it is the customers fault and always results in more cost. The SE 3PD's come and go, some flat out quit supporting their products, and the few that are around, you are at their mercy. I say... buyer beware. I have some experience in the life term of SE as I have been using the software since day one over many various projects. This last project has been hell to get finished due to 3PD business practices.

This post was edited by Casey at November 28, 2018 6:08 PM EST
    • 69 posts
    November 28, 2018 6:12 PM EST

I've got 2 items off SEAO and i have about 5 off SES, both have responded to my issues but my issues are nothing compared to whats being discussed here. I'm hopeful for a developer that does update frequently and stays true to their word. I had a similar issue you both have with the phpfox script and an app developer their wanted to charge me extra to fix bugs that were in the app when i got it. After a bit of upheaval and support from the ST community, the 3pd fixed it and updated it without cost. 

Looks like certified is the way to go. 

@dwayne Spoke to my ios developer and this isnt something he will be able to take on, he thought it may have been a simple task. 

• gs
    • 820 posts
    November 28, 2018 6:24 PM EST
    Certified doesn't guarantee bug-free or immediate resolution (SE doesn't even offer that). Some excellent 3PDs haven't bothered to submit their products for Certification for various reasons (esp costs and unrealistic update requirements among other things).
    • 59 posts
    November 28, 2018 6:26 PM EST

They are good about fixing minor things, but you only get...30 or 60 days of support if I recall then you will need to start paying for it, unfortunately, with SEAO, they are quick to push out fixes.... too many IMO, becuase they do not test enough prior to releasing new products and updates to their existing products. Sometimes one fix, will bring another issue up in a different product.... and when support for that product is expired.... bam..more money, so, its very important to run testing AND production servers. And only push to production AFTER you have checked and checked and checked every single function over your entire site with each update....then be ready for another update the following week...and on and on and on...

This post was edited by Casey at November 28, 2018 6:57 PM EST
    • 11 posts
    November 28, 2018 7:02 PM EST

Just a suggestion. It appears I am not the only one needing custom work done and or fix or design. Wondering if it would be logical if we all make of list of design, functions, fixes, etc, all chip in to bring down costs and make affordable and have a programmer do our work. Just a suggestion.

• 59 posts
    November 28, 2018 7:12 PM EST

That has been suggested before, but it would depend on the custom work and a lot of other factors. What happens when SE core is updated? Will the custom work depend on any 3PD items? If so, what happens when that 3PD product is updated? What developer would be used? We are currently in a holding pattern until the next update of SE core comes out. While we use SE, our current project uses list of other tools for the platform and we are trying to use SE as a central point to tie it all together using the "social community features." The past 3 months, there has been talk among our team to remove all 3PD products and custom build any modules needed, or extend the Official SE modules to our needs.

• 59 posts
    November 28, 2018 7:15 PM EST

I would say... wait until the new SE core is out, then go from there so you can move forward with custom work based on the new updated code as it could significantly change any current plans for any custom work.

The new SE team has some great updates and changes in the pipe and you can expect things to start moving in positive direction with SE core from now on. You can see from past updates to SE's current code, they are changing and adding items which in the past, would need to be purchased from a 3PD for the functionality.

This post was edited by Casey at November 28, 2018 7:22 PM EST
  • November 30, 2018 1:24 AM EST

True, but it's kind of very sluggish where the updates are concerned. Plans are awesome, if you can make them happen. Due to the delay in getting issues sorted, it'd be great to just get a freelance developer working for both Core and custom work. Custom work, being anything not listed in core. That way they're a dedicated personal developer available for hire. Of course, all the custom work would be listed as a separate module so they'd know the difference. What files to edit so that core functionality remains untouched. This would remain within the existing certified apps requirements for Social engine and would dramatically boost sails.

In my experience, there is someone who is available for hire whose like this. I would recommend their expertise. They could be pricey but they will do the job. No gimmicks, just professional English talks and business progression plus prompt and honest work.

Chris

I will point out, his specialty is Magento, Word Press, and Dolphin by Boonex. But he helped me with a Social engine and PHPFox custom design work. Great team, he has others about 5 working with him and has email, Skype and phone support for custom themes, development and apps. I'm going to try to get him to see if he can come over and develop for SE.