Chat Plugin and Mobile Devices

• 128 posts
    November 26, 2018 6:31 AM EST

Hi all,

After many months of being jerked around by Comet Chat, we have decided to go with the SE Chat and have SE Solutions do some customizations for us. So far we are very pleased with the work they are doing.

We are a non-profit organization and have limited funds though so we will have to pick and choose what customizations we can afford. Our community uses the chat feature of our current site pretty heavily, with daily moderated chats and informal chats running.

My questions are;

• Are there any plans in the future for the Social Engine chat to be developed so it's mobile friendly?
    • If not, has anyone successfully developed a way for it to be mobile friendly?

Our users currently are able to chat from their phones and I know this will be a huge pain point for them when we make the migration to Social Engine in 2019.

TIA

Nancy

• 6923 posts
    November 26, 2018 9:32 AM EST

Hi Nancy,

Thread moved to SEPHP help and tips as this isn't bug related and was in that section.

The answer is yes. We do have plans to improve a lot of areas for mobile devices. With the addition of more mobile friendly theming abilities we should see vast improvements in that area for all features of the official SE software. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    November 26, 2018 9:43 AM EST

Will these improvements require the SE Mobile Module?

• 6923 posts
    November 26, 2018 9:52 AM EST
    gs said:

No we are trying to move away from that requirement with more Bootstrap stuff. We want things to be easier for clients and experts.

• 378 posts
    November 26, 2018 10:54 AM EST

I feel your pain with CometChat - they are likely one of the shadiest companies I have ever come across online.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    November 26, 2018 11:02 AM EST
    Donna said:
    gs said:

No we are trying to move away from that requirement with more Bootstrap stuff. We want things to be easier for clients and experts.

Yay! thank you

• gs
    • 857 posts
    November 26, 2018 11:05 AM EST
    ITLJames said:

I feel your pain with CometChat - they are likely one of the shadiest companies I have ever come across online.

Amen to that.  Recommend to stay away... far, far away.

• 128 posts
    November 29, 2018 9:28 PM EST

This is good news Donna!

Thanks to those of you who empathized with our Comet Chat debacle. I have never experienced anything like that in all my years....

• 629 posts
    November 30, 2018 12:25 AM EST

Arrowchat. Period. Better in every way.

I have come to this decision after trying comet chat for years. I never liked them. It always had bugs and their business practices are completely unnecessary.

Stay as far as you can away from Comet Chat.

I've gone with Arrow Chat and it works so much better.