Community

Forums » SEPHP Help and Tips

Setting default to nothing on a scroll down menu

• 67 posts
    January 10, 2019 10:36 PM EST

I want to set the default setting to nothing (perhaps a hyphen) on a scroll down menu which indicates that the user needs to scroll down to make a selection.  Then I will make the profile question a requirement.  Right now the question is set to "none" as you can see in the screenshot, which incentivizes the user to leave it set on none.  Since "none" is an answer, the system will allow the scroll down menu to stay on its default setting even when I make the question a requirement.  How can I make the default answer to nothing so that the system prompts the user to answer the required question if they have not made a selection from the scroll down menu?

• 67 posts
    January 21, 2019 9:14 PM EST

Can anyone help me with this?

• 114 posts
    March 1, 2019 5:10 PM EST

If the table is sorted by the software you can add " - Pick one from the list - " to the table. (or if you want add a " - ")

If you manually sort the table before adding entries, add " - Pick one from the list - " as first record. (or if you want add a " - ")

It can be hard coded in the script to leave the first array.index(0) empty or add a text to it.

But this will be overwritten when you update the software.

MAKE A BACKUP from the database before you do the following!!!

1. In phpMyAdmin go to the right table.
    2. Export the table to a CSV/XLS and add a new record with " - Pick one from the list - " as first line. (or if you want add a " - ")
    3. You might have to reorder the record numbers so the first line starts with 1
    4. Delete the records in the table.
    5. Import the CSV/XLS into the table.

Make sure you are in the right table when deleting and importing records, in phpMyAdmin !!

Hope this helps.

This post was edited by Maurits at March 1, 2019 5:12 PM EST
    • 67 posts
    March 3, 2019 4:04 PM EST

Thank you so much for helping me Maurits.  This is still an outstanding issue for me.  

Where is phpmyadmin?  It this a file on my server or is it a place in my control panel when I am signed in as admin?  I can't find it anywhere!

• 114 posts
    March 4, 2019 2:43 PM EST

Login into your cpanel, often you can find it quick: www.yourdomain.com/cpanel enter your login details

Key in the search 'php' and it should list everything with php in it. You should be able to find it.

Make sure you made a backup of the database first !!!

I don't know what table your data is stored in. So you might have to go through a few tables to find the right one

• 67 posts
    March 4, 2019 4:48 PM EST

If I go to werunthehouse.org/cpanel I get a login panel in the screenshot below that does not accept my TMD hosting login credentials and my Social Engine Credentials.  Then I logged into TMD Hosting and went to file manager and searched for php and the following file showed up (see second screenshot) and when I clicked on it nothing happened.

• 114 posts
    March 5, 2019 6:47 AM EST

pic 1, is access to cpanel

pic 2. is your client area, you can do most common things there, but not all.

You need to be in pic 1 and login with your login credentials. (Don't use FTP credentials for login)

I don't know your login detail and I don't want them either ((laughing))

You used to be able to access cPanel through the client area, but I can't find it myself. (I use TDMhosting)

Best thing is to open a ticket and ask them with which login credentials you have to login at werunthehouse.org/cpanel AND if it is still possible to login through the client area to cPanel.

They are very helpful, you normally get response within 5 to 10 minutes.

• 67 posts
    March 19, 2019 2:23 PM EDT

Ok, it looks like I got access to phpMyAdmin (see screenshot below)

Your instructions were:

1. In phpMyAdmin go to the right table.
    2. Export the table to a CSV/XLS and add a new record with " - Pick one from the list - " as first line. (or if you want add a " - ")
    3. You might have to reorder the record numbers so the first line starts with 1
    4. Delete the records in the table.
    5. Import the CSV/XLS into the table.

What are you referring to when you say the right table?