Separate Global Headers/Footers independently Enabled

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 4, 2017 12:18 PM EDT

A summary of the feature request.  Independently Enabled Headers and Footers based on LP/inside pages and Logged-In/Logged-Out User.

Details of settings, steps to use or see this feature, benefits. 

Settings: SE may configure this however they wish, but my initial idea is to provide 4 Headers and 4 Footers in Layout Editor (instead of the current 1 of each) as follows:

- LP Global Header - Logged-In User

- LP Global Header - Logged-Out User

- Non-LP Global Header - Logged-In User

- Non-LP Global Header - Logged-Out User

- LP Global Footer - Logged-In User

- LP Global Footer - Logged-Out User

- Non-LP Global Footer - Logged-In User

- Non-LP Global Footer - Logged-Out User

In addition, in Layout Editor the 'Hide/Show on this Page' would be configured independently for Header and Footer (i.e. instead of requiring both to be Hidden or Shown as they are now).  Which Header and Footer would be used is obviously based on the status of the page at the time of display (i.e. is the User Logged-In or not, and is this the LP or not).

Benefits: Much more flexibility that we currently have.  There are pages where I don't want the Header but do want the Footer.  Some pages I would like to use a different Header and/or Footer but can't (for example, the Header/Footer could be different for the LP than inside pages).  Right now we're stuck with all or nothing flexibility (i.e. both H/F on or off, and the same H/F for all pages - both inside and LP).  Often times the reason I want one or the other or require this flexibility is due to code I need in an HTML block that I require here or there.

Add screenshots when possible.  None provided.

Any other information you want to share that is relevant to the feature being requested. This might include the lines of code that you have identified as needing improvements and potential solutions (and your opinions on their merits).  Some may wish to extend this functionality into allowing selection of a Header and Footer for any given page (rather than automatically using the above 4 H/F based on Logged-In Status and Inside Page or LP), but although I (almost) like that idea, it complicates this FR further and I'm trying to provide more flexibility without adding too much code (i.e. when loading a page the FR as described above simply checks 3 things: 1. the Logged-In Status; 2. if it's the LP or not; 3. Should the H/F be displayed or not.

Suggestions?

This post was edited by gs at August 4, 2017 12:21 PM EDT
    • 18 posts
    May 30, 2018 8:55 PM EDT

Is there any change with javascript to hide/show elements in the header depending on the webpage the user is currently browsing?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 4, 2018 5:34 PM EDT

http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/761/hide-elements-in-headers-depending-on-the-page

@Marcus

I noticed your above linked post.  Do you think I should amend (possibly chg entirely) this FR to allow independent settings for each widget in H/F?  i.e. instead if my original idea of so many Headers/ Footers, just include settings in each widget to determine if widget should be displayed, such as:

- Display to Logged-In Users

- Display to Logged-Out Users

My new thinking is to:

1.  Include the above logged in/out to all widgets (which will require a separate FR)

2.  Chg this H/F FR to allow displaying of all Headers/Footers widgets on all pages in LE so that the above new logged in/out FR settings may be selected for widgets in the global H/F AND each Page's H/F .  Thus, the existing H/F would have logged in/out settings for all widgets (due to new #1 FR), but each page could override these settings where needed.

3.  To take this further, the individual Page H/F areas could allow new widgets just for this page.  

4.  To go even further, a multi-select for ML could be included to control who can see this widget (there's an excellent Plugin by Web80 that does this)

5.  And further, network, profile type, and other settings could be included. 

(of course this may make things 'heavy' as so much 'thinking' has to be performed per widget)

Here's an example for Headers (would apply to Footers too):

Global Header

- Widget1

---- Show to Logged-In User = Y

---- Show to Logged-Out User = Y

- Widget2

---- Show to Logged-Out User = Y

Header on Member Home Page (or any page)

- Widget1

---- no chg to settings

- Widget2

---- Show to Logged-Out User = N  <-- differs from global setting

- Widget3

---- whatever... the point is this widget and settings apply to this page only

This seems to address my original need, and part of yours (it doesn't specifically address allowing 2 headers, but that might be somewhat possible based on #3 above).

Your thoughts?

• 6923 posts
    June 4, 2018 5:55 PM EDT

I just approved a Business theme by SES today which was very nice and allowed for a ton of customization. I don't know if it had separate header/footer for visitors vs logged in members but you could check it out or ask them. It's in the certified mp today.

• 629 posts
    June 28, 2018 3:33 AM EDT

You can actually kind of do this already, have independent header and footers. Signed in and signed out view can be controlled by page access based on member level. So all you'd have to do is set up a SE widget that detects signed in and signed out users to display the redirection of the page. If you have a widget that made this possible, it could be used to redirect members to a specific page based on dynamic queries of the parental structure of the page itself. This way you create two pages, but it acts as one based on who views a relative trigger.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 28, 2018 3:40 AM EDT
    Elshara Silverheart said:

You can actually kind of do this already, have independent header and footers. Signed in and signed out view can be controlled by page access based on member level. So all you'd have to do is set up a SE widget that detects signed in and signed out users to display the redirection of the page. If you have a widget that made this possible, it could be used to redirect members to a specific page based on dynamic queries of the parental structure of the page itself. This way you create two pages, but it acts as one based on who views a relative trigger.

I'm looking for something simpler to use, with more flexibility, and out of the box that will automatically work with Themes.  No redirection of pages going on - just the script detetminig what to display based on widget settings for each widget.

• 629 posts
    June 28, 2018 6:35 AM EDT

I know. I have to admit I'm not so keen on the idea of an entire theme being responsible for that major of a functionality. I'd rather have it a feature of the layout editor.