Community

Forums » SocialEngine Product Releases

Introducing SocialEngine Unite Beta!

• 3008 posts
    February 13, 2019 9:14 AM EST

We are happy to introduce the next generation of SocialEngine! In a recent post by our mascot, Spencer W. Ebligo, we showed a sneak peek of the newest version of SocialEngine codenamed “Breeze.” While planning this version, we had a few considerations. Our management and developers weighed all options and determined that the best route was to begin the process of merging the SE Cloud and SE PHP products into one platform that takes the best aspects of each and wraps them up into one powerful yet easy to use package..

Over the past year we have carefully re-designed both platforms and combined them into one product with trending features and technology. We also mapped out features that clients have requested at our community and formerly in our GitHub feature request areas. This update brings the ability for SE Cloud clients to also have apps for their sites which was previously not possible.

With this beta launch, our product name will be SocialEngine Unite! A new section has been set up in our client community specifically to address the newest SocialEngine Unite platform.

So without further ado, let’s introduce you to SocialEngine Unite!

Speed

You asked for it, you got it! SocialEngine is now one of the fastest social network platforms available. Instant feed loads! Instant notifications! All with negligible load to the server. How is it so fast? By taking full advantage of the latest technology and coding standards. For the tech minded, here are more details:

• React.js –  We split up blocks of content on a client’s site with widgets. Each widget is comprised of components that only update when needed and can be loaded independently from other components thus rendering the web page visually faster to the user as they are now not required to wait for the entire page to load all of its widgets.
    • Node.js – The big change for SocialEngine and with everything we have been developing with in the past has been the change from PHP (using Apache as the web server) to using Node.js. Before switching over to Node.js the first decision we came to is that we planned on using React and instead of having to maintain and have separate code bases (one of PHP to handle backend and JavaScript for frontend) we could unify our code base to strictly using JavaScript, which is what is used for both Node.js and React. This also allowed us to share certain common functions between both environments.

Switching over to Node.js allowed us to only include dependencies we needed to power our platform and didn’t bloat the server-side environment.

One of the biggest advantages with using Node.js for us has been the ability to utilize its support for websockets with a low memory footprint, which allows us to provide bidirectional communication between users and gives us the opportunity to create instant messaging apps, browser push notifications and much more.

It also gave us the ability to perform certain tasks without delaying the response to the user. One example could be adding a status update. Adding the status update itself does not take much time, however pushing this information to all of the user’s friends for example is something the user does not need to wait around for and is something we can do in the background without having to create an external task.

Full Featured Apps

The requests that got the most votes from clients and the most discussions in our community were in regards to the SEPHP plugins and SECloud features. SEPHP clients asked for plugins with more than basic features. SECloud clients wanted to have the same plugins that SEPHP clients had. Well, here ya go!

With SocialEngine Unite, we’ve mapped out the apps to be full featured. This allows you to set up your site with great features and save time and money. With full featured apps, you can focus your time and money with customizations that will make your site stand out from others without having to spend to get basic features improved.

These advanced apps will be available in the coming months. Currently, SocialEngine Unite ships with with some standard app options that’ll get your community off the ground while you wait for advanced features to come! Your members will enjoy blogs, discussion forums, photos, videos, and much more.

Monetization

Show me the money! Well, we’ll show you how you can make the money with SocialEngine. SocialEngine Unite brings more opportunity for webmasters to earn with their sites.  Payment gateways PayPal and Stripe are integrated! The SocialEngine Unite E-Commerce app allows you to sell subscriptions to your site and take payments via the most popular payment methods.

Branding and Customization

Change theme colors to match your branding with our easy color picker! You have total control over your site’s colors and layout within the admin panel.

Add static website pages easily in the page manager. SocialEngine Unite even provides the ability to create pages that are json objects right within the admin panel. You can also edit your pages’ HTML!

Fast and Lightweight Mobile PWA

Get a fast mobile website with our lightweight Progressive Web App (PWA) for mobile devices. Progressive web apps are easy to maintain and less costly than traditional mobile apps. With speed in mind, PWA is the way to go!

SaaS Cloud Hosting

Our first release of SocialEngine Unite beta is an SaaS Cloud hosted version which will replace our current cloud platform soon. New clients can start their sites right away on this new platform. Current SE Cloud clients can expect an importer very soon.

Self Hosted Download

We will also offer a self hosted version that you can download and install on your own hosting. If you need to have FTP access to upload files, the ability to extend the SocialEngine Unite engine, this will be for you! This version will have an import for our SE PHP clients. Subscribe to our blog and newsletter to get notified when this version is available in mid to late 2019!

In the Pipeline

We’ve got lots more coming! Here’s what’s on tap:

• GDPR App – this app will give you tools to manage your website within GDPR guidelines.
    • Full featured apps! Including Blogs, Music, Photo, Video, Groups, Pages, Events, and many many more!
    • Themes! All fully responsive!
    • Language improvements for multi-language sites. Currently, 95% of the website text is translatable!
    • Additional monetization and payment options!

Try SocialEngine Unite Beta FREE for 7 days! Stay tuned for more updates!

Our team wants to thank all of you for being part of the SocialEngine family as we continue on our journey to provide the best in social networking platforms.

“SocialEngine Unite brings dreams to reality. It’s not just software, it’s an experience.” ~ Spencer W. Ebligo, SocialEngine Official Mascot

• 3008 posts
    February 13, 2019 9:16 AM EST

Our documents are still in the works but we've quite a few already. :) You can see a live demo here, https://unitedemo.bysocialengine.com or sign up for a free trial in the link above.

This post was edited by Donna at February 13, 2019 9:19 AM EST
  • February 13, 2019 10:05 AM EST

Hi Donna,

Was reading about Social Engine Unite. Will this make Social Engine PHP obsolete? Or will there just be an update to the current hosted installation?

Thanks, 

Tim, Biker Valley Radio

• 127 posts
    February 13, 2019 10:13 AM EST
    Excellent read.
    Email link I got led to a 404.
    Registered in the demo and I have some bug feedback to give, where would the best place be for this feedback to be posted.
  • February 13, 2019 10:20 AM EST

Hello,

I am very impressed with Social Engine! You've finally been able to achieve what the competition has not been able to do in as many months, let alone years as they've attempted. I can't even believe this is your first beta at this! This is extremely well thought out, organized and is exactly what we would be most happy with using!

Now, as this program is in beta, I have a lot of concerns regarding the current implementation of practically the entire program in only one respect. Accessibility.

All sites on *.seunite.com are virtually 2% accessible from a screen reader perspective. Everything seems to be controlled via mouse input only. This isn't just the click and hold functionality anymore like on PHP, it's literally hover to see entire sections of settings, widgets, appearance etc. The front end is not accessible either for the visually impaired. From navigation to all out posting, imagine a page with no clickable objects that you could see. That's how both Google and screen readers will see the pages due to no actual advertisements of links, buttons, drop down menus, list boxes or other elements currently used on the web today.

Going forward if this is here to stay, expect any and all visually impaired users not to be able to even use any of the site features and not understanding why in its current implementation, Social engine Unite is among the 2% of websites online inaccessible to screen readers and google, Bing and other search engine bot crawlers.

Having said that, it's eye candy. eye candy will attract the majority of internet users online. I really have to give everyone at the SE team a huge incredible pat on the back. You've definitely got some interface restructuring to do in terms of final touches. However in its rough and ready state, I'd estimate within a couple months, SE Unite will be ready for the entire world.

• 3008 posts
    February 13, 2019 10:21 AM EST
    Biker Valley Radio said:

Hi Donna,

Was reading about Social Engine Unite. Will this make Social Engine PHP obsolete? Or will there just be an update to the current hosted installation?

Thanks, 

Tim, Biker Valley Radio

There'll be an upgrade/import process. We're working on a cloud importer now and after that we will work on a self hosted release for those self hosting the SE PHP product now.

• 3008 posts
    February 13, 2019 10:22 AM EST
    PeppaPigKilla said:
    Excellent read. Email link I got led to a 404. Registered in the demo and I have some bug feedback to give, where would the best place be for this feedback to be posted.

I forgot to grab a link but if you'll check the forum categories, I made one for SocialEngine Unite with a feature area, bug area and help area. :) 

• 3008 posts
    February 13, 2019 10:31 AM EST
    Elshara Silverheart said:

Hello,

I am very impressed with Social Engine! You've finally been able to achieve what the competition has not been able to do in as many months, let alone years as they've attempted. I can't even believe this is your first beta at this! This is extremely well thought out, organized and is exactly what we would be most happy with using!

Now, as this program is in beta, I have a lot of concerns regarding the current implementation of practically the entire program in only one respect. Accessibility.

All sites on *.seunite.com are virtually 2% accessible from a screen reader perspective. Everything seems to be controlled via mouse input only. This isn't just the click and hold functionality anymore like on PHP, it's literally hover to see entire sections of settings, widgets, appearance etc. The front end is not accessible either for the visually impaired. From navigation to all out posting, imagine a page with no clickable objects that you could see. That's how both Google and screen readers will see the pages due to no actual advertisements of links, buttons, drop down menus, list boxes or other elements currently used on the web today.

Going forward if this is here to stay, expect any and all visually impaired users not to be able to even use any of the site features and not understanding why in its current implementation, Social engine Unite is among the 2% of websites online inaccessible to screen readers and google, Bing and other search engine bot crawlers.

Having said that, it's eye candy. eye candy will attract the majority of internet users online. I really have to give everyone at the SE team a huge incredible pat on the back. You've definitely got some interface restructuring to do in terms of final touches. However in its rough and ready state, I'd estimate within a couple months, SE Unite will be ready for the entire world.

Can you please put this in a feature request for me? Do you have any links to some help with accessibility? I'm sure we can find some if you don't.

Glad you like it though! :)

• 3008 posts
  • February 13, 2019 10:49 AM EST
    Donna said:

Hello,

Can you please put this in a feature request for me? Do you have any links to some help with accessibility? I'm sure we can find some if you don't.

Glad you like it though! :)

Hello,

Generally speaking, the best way to measure accessibility is via the following guidelines:

W3C Accessibility Worldwide Standard Guidelines

W3C Best Content Practices

A feature request is on its way.

• 211 posts
    February 13, 2019 11:41 AM EST

This looks awesome :) specially with the speed.

This post was edited by playmusician at February 13, 2019 11:43 AM EST
    • 142 posts
    February 13, 2019 11:51 AM EST

Hi all

Sorry ive been away soooo long.

Is Unite completely replacing PHP then?

• February 13, 2019 12:04 PM EST
    Daniel said:

Hi all

Sorry ive been away soooo long.

Is Unite completely replacing PHP then?

Yes. Unite is Social engine PHP And Cloud's replacement and serves as the reimagining of Social engine development as a hosted and self hosted version of PHP v5 and onward.

• 3008 posts
    February 13, 2019 12:16 PM EST

It will be as we are "Uniting" the two platforms so that we can bring awesome stuff to everyone. I've mapped out amazing apps based on all of your feedback. Those apps are in the pipeline. Blogs, forum, etc. So the apps that you see in Unite now will have more advanced versions with features that many asked for and with new features not asked for, to keep up with trends. Don't worry though, SEPHP will be supported for quite a while from now. So even if someone buys now, they'll have a path forward to import their content, users, etc. Unite is the future folks. It has latest tech. Lots of great stuff coming. 

• 211 posts
    February 13, 2019 12:38 PM EST

A little confused..

regarding - Self Hosted Download 

".....We will also offer a self hosted version that you can download and install on your own hosting. If you need to have FTP access to upload files, the ability to extend the SocialEngine Unite engine, this will be for you! This version will have an import for our SE PHP clients. "..."

After a client upgrades to the self-hosted unite platform

#Current 3Dps plugins will have to be re-certified / re purchased / upgraded?

#How will it work with current  3dp plugins and customized for a website in the future?

thanks

• 3008 posts
    February 13, 2019 12:48 PM EST
    playmusician said:

A little confused..

regarding - Self Hosted Download

".....We will also offer a self hosted version that you can download and install on your own hosting. If you need to have FTP access to upload files, the ability to extend the SocialEngine Unite engine, this will be for you! This version will have an import for our SE PHP clients. "..."

After a client upgrades to the self-hosted unite platform

#Current 3Dps plugins will have to be re-certified / re purchased / upgraded?

#How will it work with current  3dp plugins and customized for a website in the future?

thanks

That sort of question needs to wait until we are at that point as we don't have an answer for it yet but this is a different platform, different code base. Right now this product is in beta and is the hosted SaaS cloud version. Once we get to the point of the download version, you can ask at that time in that post and we should have more details. :)

• 142 posts
    February 13, 2019 1:12 PM EST

Yea im still confused sooooo there isnt gunna be a SE PHP5 .

PHP will be supported until completely phased out.

All the feature requests made for PHP wont actually make it into PHP but this new Unite, even tho it was said we would have seen them implemented 2 years ago.

all third party apps will phase out with PHP.

• 127 posts
    February 13, 2019 1:13 PM EST
    I’m so pleased it’s js based. I use vue.js for projects so excited to see how I can make some changes on this.
    • 142 posts
    February 13, 2019 1:16 PM EST

Soz if i sound a bit arrogant about this but this was one of my main fears of happening, i remember being told so many time it will be coming and updated etc, ive already spent excess of 5-7k on SE and even expressed i wanted to buy upto 5 more licences, and was told to just do it and start it or regret it basically, but in hindsight sounds like i did the wise choice by not buying

I do appologise but this has drained me as i was constantly being active to improve SE and feel like ive really wasted my time for others to benefit from my hard work. 
    I can adapt but will lose all aspects of the site.... so im feeling bit drained on this

This post was edited by Daniel at February 13, 2019 1:20 PM EST
  • TJ
    • 3 posts
    February 13, 2019 5:16 PM EST

Just curious if the 3rd party developers out there have been privy with this info and access to the alpha/beta (thinking SEAO etc.) or is this the first they have heard of it too? 

All of those developers now have a big decision to make, whether to rebuild what they have developed for SE, to only develop new plugins on the new system or stop developing on SE entirely.

Is there any plans to somehow allow SE PHP plugins to run on the new system in a hybrid mode while they convert to the new platform? I seem to recall Ray had a similar concept for Phpfox, running apps from remote servers and injecting the plugin into the Phpfox framework - I didn't know if there was a similar idea (even just as a stepping stone until devs migrate their plugins etc.)

Thanks, TJ.

• February 13, 2019 7:53 PM EST

I have a feeling that Social Engine Add Ons definitely knew this was happening.

I will be honest, this revitalization is actually worth the years of requests we've been asking to have built for us. It's all here. Everything SE Core had, everything SE Cloud had plus some extra stuff for displaying custom filters. Even the pricing is very good, because you pay for what you use.

We aren't losing out on existing posts, data, membership, functionality etc. Sure it's a different interface, but it can be completely redone. As for third party apps and functionality, third party developers will most likely port over their apps once the framework is open for them to do so. This way content provided officially through them is importable as a part of the new upgrade process. And as such, won't be lost.

In terms of licenses, I'm assuming self hosted and social engine hosted content is transferable. This way you can grow as your needs change. We aren't losing out on anything. this is a win win situation all around. This isn't like PHPFox or Boonex Dolphin where you wait years to be able to fix bugs which ultimately rest in the complicated nature of different PHP configurations, installations and the headache and hassle of server side errors. Forget messing around with Nginx, Apache, and all the other problems that went along with that. This is a totally brand new way of putting the simplicity of code and the complexity of databases and files together in one universally understandable language which delivers instant load of content delivered to the visitor once connected to the server. You can even forget about MYSQL databases as everything ultimately will rest in one spot for storage, and won't actively have sessions bombarding database connections. You could set up a back end javascript task to connect to the database to retrieve a single post, as all the code stuff is done internally. To add to faster content delivery, caching queries already made to the database via something like Redis ensures that only one connection to the database is ever made to store and retrieve any type of content per request. All the cached data takes the queries and delivers them through on site storage, or memory storage for easy access and can reset itself after a certain period of time so as to not take up too many resources overall.

This is a modern web wet dream come to life. No more maintenance problems, server and incompatible add on down time. All you need to worry about is whether or not something displays right. The nice thing about javascript, is that if there's an error. Instead of the entire site being dependent on a framework like Zend, Smarty etc, it's dependent on individual code segments. Making only one part of the whole in operable, instead of the entire thing being completely unusable.

Of course the best way to control your own settings, is through the app itself. I know that's coming, so you will finally have controls in app to manage everything that you previously needed Cpanel or custom php.ini files to be able to do. Forget Ruby On Rails, there's no gems here which need constant connectivity access. Even the email has improved, because everything is done in house either via SMTP or an already connected internal system to connect itself as an external node of sorts.

Ultimately Javascript is recipe based, allowing you to duplicate code that does the same thing with relative ease if the foundation is already built to accept certain types of input. Leaving developers free to make all kinds of new updates. social Engine Unite is now in a league all of its own. And for good reason. All of us, helped make this possible in one form or another.

I've never been happier to know that the true genius behind all this, is people behind a unified language system for code itself. It never could've been php, because it changes too much and is itself, unable to process front end user data for variables that have no closed loopholes like javascript. With javascript, there is virtually 0 possibility of a data breach if the server is set up to only receive input through well protected admin data. There's no open connections to core PHP files remaining dormant because no secondary server is present. In actual fact, this is one step closer to everything being coded via Jquery and even that's faster than Ajax because you aren't compressing anything or having to recode something for another language to understand. You also have the advantage of inline CSS for each core javascript function, making it an effortless task to style important code which eliminates the need for a template system at all.

What you've done, is create the vision in terms of what you code is what you get. As opposed to what you code is what you require. Where each byte of text isn't given extra unnecessary character data to manage a single simple task. Furthering the independence of the app itself.

Now as useful of a backbone as Javascript is, I think that what would really cement itself as a backup system, is Ruby On Rails. Either that, or c, c+, c++ Python where a single library is used to code and make separate core system updates so that no app can interfere with it. This would bring back the Model View Controller system we've been so used to. And wouldn't convolute the platform much if at all, because you'd be able to off load multi tasking functions to another library that is built for it.

The only reason why I say this, is because the only other way you could set up another Node JS server to achieve the same functionality, is via docker. Monitoring app progress is key to making app changes better regulated. Now if this were to be done remotely via a Node JS server always connected to the web, this could pose a security risk to certain organizations using Social Engine Unite offline. Using docker, and Node JS instances, or Node JS plus C, C+, C++ Python, this can come to life with the best results being apps, app instances and instance management without any security risks as everything would be limited to a single purpose managed in house as separate units working together, but independently as such.

Thank you so much for everything! this is just the beginning of brand new adventures together. the future is friendly!

• 68 posts
    February 14, 2019 4:33 AM EST

All of those developers now have a big decision to make, whether to rebuild what they have developed for SE, to only develop new plugins on the new system or stop developing on SE entirely.

Is there any plans to somehow allow SE PHP plugins to run on the new system in a hybrid mode while they convert to the new platform?

We will need to make that decision as soon as there will be access to code and it's possible to see how the plugins could be implemented. There was no way to create plugins for SE Cloud, but in case of self-hosted version the customization options are open.  

No hybrid mode will be possible - the codebase is completely different (new language, new technologies). I

No more maintenance problems, server and incompatible add on down time. All you need to worry about is whether or not something displays right. The nice thing about javascript, is that if there's an error. Instead of the entire site being dependent on a framework like Zend, Smarty etc, it's dependent on individual code segments. Making only one part of the whole in operable, instead of the entire thing being completely unusable.

With javascript, there is virtually 0 possibility of a data breach if the server is set up to only receive input through well protected admin data.

I wish everything worked this way :) So there was a technology that is failure-free. I would be the first to jump aboard that ship. I'm happy to see the new tech stack, that's for sure. But not that happy there is no self-hosted option yet - biggest SocialEngine projects we had required customizations even beyond the plugin system. Easy-to-understand code of SocialEngine version 2 and version 3, plus the initial plugin system is what has built the 3rd party ecosystem around the core initially. It was fun to mess around with smarty templates to get some modifications done before digging into the profile fields system or core.

The new platform is more modern, much faster and secure. But keep in mind that it might be more complicated to modify, setup and maintain for non-tech people. There are pros and cons in every technical decision, but it's definitely a step forward.

• 3008 posts
    February 14, 2019 5:32 AM EST

I have a feeling that Social Engine Add Ons definitely knew this was happening.

I will be honest, this revitalization is actually worth the years of requests we've been asking to have built for us. It's all here. Everything SE Core had, everything SE Cloud had plus some extra stuff for displaying custom filters. Even the pricing is very good, because you pay for what you use.

We aren't losing out on existing posts, data, membership, functionality etc. Sure it's a different interface, but it can be completely redone. As for third party apps and functionality, third party developers will most likely port over their apps once the framework is open for them to do so. This way content provided officially through them is importable as a part of the new upgrade process. And as such, won't be lost.

In terms of licenses, I'm assuming self hosted and social engine hosted content is transferable. This way you can grow as your needs change. We aren't losing out on anything. this is a win win situation all around. This isn't like PHPFox or Boonex Dolphin where you wait years to be able to fix bugs which ultimately rest in the complicated nature of different PHP configurations, installations and the headache and hassle of server side errors. Forget messing around with Nginx, Apache, and all the other problems that went along with that. This is a totally brand new way of putting the simplicity of code and the complexity of databases and files together in one universally understandable language which delivers instant load of content delivered to the visitor once connected to the server. You can even forget about MYSQL databases as everything ultimately will rest in one spot for storage, and won't actively have sessions bombarding database connections. You could set up a back end javascript task to connect to the database to retrieve a single post, as all the code stuff is done internally. To add to faster content delivery, caching queries already made to the database via something like Redis ensures that only one connection to the database is ever made to store and retrieve any type of content per request. All the cached data takes the queries and delivers them through on site storage, or memory storage for easy access and can reset itself after a certain period of time so as to not take up too many resources overall.

This is a modern web wet dream come to life. No more maintenance problems, server and incompatible add on down time. All you need to worry about is whether or not something displays right. The nice thing about javascript, is that if there's an error. Instead of the entire site being dependent on a framework like Zend, Smarty etc, it's dependent on individual code segments. Making only one part of the whole in operable, instead of the entire thing being completely unusable.

Of course the best way to control your own settings, is through the app itself. I know that's coming, so you will finally have controls in app to manage everything that you previously needed Cpanel or custom php.ini files to be able to do. Forget Ruby On Rails, there's no gems here which need constant connectivity access. Even the email has improved, because everything is done in house either via SMTP or an already connected internal system to connect itself as an external node of sorts.

Ultimately Javascript is recipe based, allowing you to duplicate code that does the same thing with relative ease if the foundation is already built to accept certain types of input. Leaving developers free to make all kinds of new updates. social Engine Unite is now in a league all of its own. And for good reason. All of us, helped make this possible in one form or another.

I've never been happier to know that the true genius behind all this, is people behind a unified language system for code itself. It never could've been php, because it changes too much and is itself, unable to process front end user data for variables that have no closed loopholes like javascript. With javascript, there is virtually 0 possibility of a data breach if the server is set up to only receive input through well protected admin data. There's no open connections to core PHP files remaining dormant because no secondary server is present. In actual fact, this is one step closer to everything being coded via Jquery and even that's faster than Ajax because you aren't compressing anything or having to recode something for another language to understand. You also have the advantage of inline CSS for each core javascript function, making it an effortless task to style important code which eliminates the need for a template system at all.

What you've done, is create the vision in terms of what you code is what you get. As opposed to what you code is what you require. Where each byte of text isn't given extra unnecessary character data to manage a single simple task. Furthering the independence of the app itself.

Now as useful of a backbone as Javascript is, I think that what would really cement itself as a backup system, is Ruby On Rails. Either that, or c, c+, c++ Python where a single library is used to code and make separate core system updates so that no app can interfere with it. This would bring back the Model View Controller system we've been so used to. And wouldn't convolute the platform much if at all, because you'd be able to off load multi tasking functions to another library that is built for it.

The only reason why I say this, is because the only other way you could set up another Node JS server to achieve the same functionality, is via docker. Monitoring app progress is key to making app changes better regulated. Now if this were to be done remotely via a Node JS server always connected to the web, this could pose a security risk to certain organizations using Social Engine Unite offline. Using docker, and Node JS instances, or Node JS plus C, C+, C++ Python, this can come to life with the best results being apps, app instances and instance management without any security risks as everything would be limited to a single purpose managed in house as separate units working together, but independently as such.

Thank you so much for everything! this is just the beginning of brand new adventures together. the future is friendly!

Wow that's a great post as it's got lots of info. Thank you!

• 3008 posts
    February 14, 2019 5:39 AM EST
    Eugene Sutula said:

We will need to make that decision as soon as there will be access to code and it's possible to see how the plugins could be implemented. There was no way to create plugins for SE Cloud, but in case of self-hosted version the customization options are open.  

I wish everything worked this way :) So there was a technology that is failure-free. I would be the first to jump aboard that ship. I'm happy to see the new tech stack, that's for sure. But not that happy there is no self-hosted option yet - biggest SocialEngine projects we had required customizations even beyond the plugin system. Easy-to-understand code of SocialEngine version 2 and version 3, plus the initial plugin system is what has built the 3rd party ecosystem around the core initially. It was fun to mess around with smarty templates to get some modifications done before digging into the profile fields system or core.

The new platform is more modern, much faster and secure. But keep in mind that it might be more complicated to modify, setup and maintain for non-tech people. There are pros and cons in every technical decision, but it's definitely a step forward.

Our main site is using a highly customized version of Unite SaaS. Unite has been made so that both SaaS and download clients can have highly customized sites. All of the customizations you see on our main site were made without touching a single line of the base code. Ray is excited about that because it allows experts to do customizations via the API like has been done with our main site. This allows clients to have customizations that don't interfere with their upgrades at all.  

This post was edited by Donna at February 14, 2019 5:39 AM EST
    • 142 posts
    February 14, 2019 8:57 AM EST

I dunno all, personally i feel majorly lead on for some time.

I respect evolution, and respect SE moving forward. But I cant help but feel a bit lead on. 

The fact i wont see any of the feature requests I worked hard on, and was said they coming and been like 2 years waiting, it just feels to me like a carrot was on a string.

And being as licences cant be resold it leaves us all at major crossroad of forking out again for new software, rebuying plugins and redoing all custom work.

Im just glad I dont have SEAO plugins as some of those are like $400.

SES are by far the best devs for 3rd party, but if I dont choose to shed out money again, giving up shop is a consideration.