Disable Comments by Member Level

• 36 posts
    March 4, 2019 12:36 PM EST

We are trying to do something simple but cannot for the life of us figure out how.

We are wanting to disable members of a specific member level from being able to comment on content posted to the main activity feed, and disable the ability for them posting directly or commenting on a member profile activity feed.

We have looked high and low in the settings, and find the ability to prevent them from posting a status to the main activity feed. But not disable commenting. Has anyone else been able to do this? Are we just missing it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

• 119 posts
    March 4, 2019 3:09 PM EST

In the member level /admin/authorization/level/edit

• Profile Commenting Options: All registered Members or My Network or My Friends or Me Only (UNTICK All registered Members)
    • Profile Viewing Options: select only one option, members of this level will not have a choice.
      Everyone
      All Registered Members
      My Network (TICK)
      My Friends (TICK)
      Only Me (TICK)

"Profile Viewing Options" has two options it prevents commenting and viewing a profile. (its confusing)

Have a play with these settings

• 36 posts
    March 4, 2019 3:26 PM EST
    Thanks for replying. We are aware of these settings but unfortunately the do not allow us to restrict how we are wanting. This allow members to control who views or comments on their profile. But it doesn't allow us to restrict their ability to comment on other people's profiles.
    • 119 posts
    March 4, 2019 3:35 PM EST

It also controls who can comment on the posts in the activity feed. That is why it is so confusing

Say you set both options to My Friends or ONLY ME

Create two new users, delete the old test users. Post something on the activity feed, you will notice they can't comment.

The new users will get this setting on sign up. I had problems with it as I wanted all members to comment if the sign up "Say Hello" my test users couldn't comment. Changed the settings, deleted the test users and added new test users and it worked 

• 36 posts
    March 4, 2019 3:49 PM EST
    Hmm... I'll run some tests. Thanks.
    • 119 posts
    March 4, 2019 3:55 PM EST

cool, give it a try. I only found out by accident

• 13 posts
    March 20, 2019 3:49 PM EDT

I'm trying to setup the same type of 'read only' member.  I setup the member with the settings that Maurits suggested, but the user can comment, join groups etc.

CNDAdmin, did your tests work?

• 629 posts
    March 21, 2019 5:43 PM EDT

The problem is the comment functionality is integrated site wide. So it's impossible to determine on a post by post, and module by module basis how to properly set them. My best guess is to use member levels to force commenting, which is what you want. I'd suggest buying an alternative comments plugin for PHP so that you can properly configure how comments function globally. You do know that you can add the comments module to profiles and it maintains a separate database of who can post comments, right? That could solve the issue entirely and people wouldn't need to reference status feeds as the comments area would be separate.

• 119 posts
    March 27, 2019 2:24 PM EDT

@IanC:

Unfortunate this is not possible to achieve. You can create a member level, where you can give members the option to post or not to post in a group/events, or add a video or not. but they will still be able to see the posts and videos. Only this stops members from actually creating a post or video, but they still can comment whether or not they are "confirmed friends" or have an super admin/admin/moderator level.

I don't know is there is an addon script for what you are trying to achieve, I believe there isn't, as all 3rd party addons use the core to post through like an API.

What i think you are trying to achieve is people can post in a group/event/video but others can NOT comment, even if they are friends. There are no options within PHPSE to prevent this happening in the modules yet.

I am using SocialEngineAddons, for most of the modules and there is no possible solution either, the only thing you can achieve is Only Group Members can comment, Everyone(Including guests), Registered Members(Only people logged in). But these are setting provided by the Core PHPSE.

This would be for @Donna to investigate if this will be possible in newer releases.

• 1 posts
    April 16, 2019 8:27 PM EDT
    CNDAdmin said:

We are trying to do something simple but cannot for the life of us figure out how.

We are wanting to disable members of a specific member level from being able to comment on content posted to the main activity feed, and disable the ability for them posting directly or commenting on a member profile activity feed.

We have looked high and low in the settings, and find the ability to prevent them from posting a status to the main activity feed. But not disable commenting. Has anyone else been able to do this? Are we just missing it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Hi, were you successful with disabling comments based on member levels?