"View only" pages for profile type.

• 217 posts
    March 19, 2019 3:27 PM EDT

I have an expert network within a larger network (and then a complexity of subdivisions that include both groups).  I have separated experts by allowing people to select between being an expert or being a regular member during signup.  This is a feature called "profile type" that is built into the SE system.  See screenshot below.  Experts have their own discussion forums on several subject-specific pages.  Is there any way to make the pages assigned to these expert discussion forums "view only" for regular members so they can view the pages but they cannot interact with them (eg. commenting and voting on posts) ? 

• 6923 posts
    March 20, 2019 10:08 AM EDT

I don't know of a way to do that. You might be able to get a customization for it.

• 629 posts
    March 21, 2019 5:24 PM EDT

Try member level settings. I know that guests aren't able to comment, so the user has to sign in to his or her account to be able to see many posts. This has nothing to do with profile types, but rather with member levels. You have the ability to map profile types to member levels, in later versions of Social Engine PHP. That should get you there.

• 217 posts
    March 21, 2019 9:09 PM EDT

The only option relating to commenting in "member level settings" is "Profile Commenting Options" but that does not relate to my query.  It related to allowing the user to decide who can comment on the user's profile.  Any other ideas?

• 629 posts
    March 21, 2019 9:18 PM EDT

Well, if the pages are set with forum permissions in mind, you could set up a forum and then limit who has access to comment there. You could also do this setup in a way where advanced comments controls who can view but not add comments.

• 217 posts
    March 21, 2019 9:54 PM EDT

You said: "you could set up a forum and then limit who has access to comment there."

Where exactly in the admin control panel do I perform this action?

• 217 posts
    April 8, 2019 2:01 PM EDT

Can anyone help me with this?  I have regular members and expert members and I only want experts to be able to interact in the expert forums which means that I need those pages to be set to "view only" for regular members.  If possible I would also allow regular members to click on "read more and comment" so they can click through to see the post and all the comments without interacting with them.  

• 6923 posts
    April 9, 2019 4:36 AM EDT

There isn't a view only setting. You would need to find a plugin or customization for that.

• 217 posts
    April 16, 2019 10:36 PM EDT

Does anyone have any idea as to what plugin I can use for this?

• 36 posts
    June 30, 2019 4:10 PM EDT

Which developers' forum plugin are you using? Or am I understanding incorrectly?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    June 30, 2019 8:38 PM EDT

Here's 2 options.  You'll have to ask the 3PD if their Plugin will do what you require.

https://www.socialenginesolutions.com/social-engine/advanced-forum-plugin/

https://www.socialengineaddons.com/socialengine-advanced-forums-plugin

• 217 posts
    July 1, 2019 7:16 AM EDT

The plugin is called SES-discussions.  See screenshot.  My developer is called Social Engine Solutions.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 1, 2019 9:25 PM EDT

What did SES say when you contacted them?

• 217 posts
    July 2, 2019 5:19 AM EDT

They have not responded to me