Community

Forums » SEU Help and Tips

Moving Categories

• 69 posts
    June 9, 2019 4:23 PM EDT

Could someone please explain how to move categories & subcategories? (eg: Networks, blogs, etc.)

If I create a network > category >"Los Angeles"
    Later I need to move this to a subcategory of "California", how would I do that? (without deleting & recreating it and losing the original subscribers to this network)

Or if I wanted to create a discussion subcategory, and later want to move it under a new parent category, how would I do this?

This post was edited by Brian at June 9, 2019 4:26 PM EDT
    • 3537 posts
    June 10, 2019 8:55 AM EDT

Because these are channels that things post into, you can't move a category into a different category as a subcategory. These have permalinks that go to the category they were created in. 

For Discussions, that would be different and something coming later in an advanced forum app.

• 69 posts
    June 10, 2019 11:40 AM EDT

Hi Donna,

I don't think the permalinks are effected. If I create a network "Los Angeles" in a subcategory under "California" the permalink is still "..networks/losangeles" rather than "networks/california/losangeles". 

It would be great that the basic apps allows you to move these around, rather that withholding a basic organization function. I'm guessing that the advanced versions of these apps will be at lease 3-5x the price of the basic app.... and that the subscription model is a bit like Shopify... you get people in at about $25 month, get them going and slowly move them into spending $100 a month, then $200, etc..via app sales and services - naturally filling the needs of a growing site.  This is a nice lifecycle when growth/revenue/expense evolve together.. but if that can become disjointed if expenses quickly supercede and continually outpace revenues, it will lead to disappointment - in this case, if someone launches their site, receives that first community feedback, learn of a better method of organization, but then they can't make the change as they are then forced into the upsell of an advanced app just to re-organize..  

Well, I guess these decisions are out of my control... and I will get started on deleting and recreate my categories/subcategories before we launch and hope I make the right organizational choices the second time around :) 

This post was edited by Brian at June 10, 2019 11:41 AM EDT
    • 3537 posts
    June 12, 2019 9:44 AM EDT

It's a bit more than permalinks. As we are so swamped right now, that was the quickest explanation. This is something I had added to the list quite a while ago but as it takes a lot more thought and finesse, it has to wait until we can work it out. Since users can be subscribed to networks, and there can be permissions, etc, all of that has to be considered in case a client has a site all set with a bunch of users and content and then decides to change a network category from one to another. Once they move that network, what if a user is in user group Z but the new network Brainz doesn't allow user group Z to have access as those are the Zombies and Zombies can't see the Brainz network. So what happens with all of that stuff? Before it was moved, they would have liked, commented, etc on all the yummy Brainz but now, it's hidden to them. In order not to start the next Zombie Invasion, we need to be very careful. :)

• 135 posts
    June 12, 2019 3:25 PM EDT

Hi Brian..
    I like your idea of adding Networks for towns... in 'channels'

I have created networks. however I can not see how to join them on the site as a normal member as there is no tab or link for networks, that I can see..
    What have I not done ?

I can only join them as admin in the control panel.

thanks
    mikel.

• 69 posts
    June 12, 2019 4:45 PM EDT

I added a menu item under "Explore".

(Users will have to be logged into website in order to see "Networks" with the URL I provided)

Just a word of caution, right now they will only display 49 to a page, so make sure you set them up in categories, subcategories. Subcategories, currently only show 9 items, you may want to take that into account when you organize your networks. I requested that they display more, so I think it's in the works.

• 69 posts
    June 12, 2019 4:50 PM EDT

BTW, it's also natively displayed:

If you log in as a regular member go to > Click on your avatar in the upper right > Click "Settings & Privacy"

-  you will see the "Networks" link on the left menu bar.  

(Above is just how I created a shortcut/menu item for it.)