Remove past events

• 217 posts
    July 6, 2019 3:38 PM EDT

How can I ensure that no events that are in the past are showing in my events page?

• 474 posts
    July 7, 2019 11:27 AM EDT

Hei cmackie

I have the SEAO plugin ' advanced events'

I have a PHP where members (clubs, cinemas, restaurants and such like) post events. I have never had the issue of past events showing on current dates.

what you should do (for good house keeping ) is keep track of your event listings by members in your onsite ACP (not your server).

all event get listed in 3 ways, these are: past events, todays events or current events, upcoming events. Any event that has ' happened ' will automatically be shifted to past events and only visible by clicking the tab 'past events' if you allow the option.
    In your ACP in your events listings, any event that is ' happened ' + 1 week, delete it from the list. this will ensure it will not be shown in the present or the future.

I advised all members that any events will be or must be deleted after the event has happened but if they 'forget' I will remove the events my self.
    hope this helps
    mikel.

• 217 posts
    July 7, 2019 1:16 PM EDT

So I would have to manually remove them?

I am anticipating a lot of events so unfortunately I would be overwhelmed if I had to do things that way.  I must automate the process. 

Thanks all the same!

• 474 posts
    July 8, 2019 4:54 AM EDT

Hei.
     on the SEAO Events Plugin which I use, mass deletion was never an issue. Simply check mark witch ones are for deletion and hit delete. I have about 3 to 400 events listed each month from cinemas, clubs, shows, and other companies and members.

Other than that, all 'past events + 1 week' would just sit on the site but not be shown at any point unless members chose to view 'past events'. So to do what you want may need a customisation. But self deletion is a good start.

Mikel.

• 217 posts
    July 8, 2019 6:10 AM EDT

Thanks Mikel,

I don't have a "past events" button.  See screenshot.  Can you explain why?

• 474 posts
    July 8, 2019 12:53 PM EDT

Hei.
    Maybe you have not authorised the option in your ACP or the plugin you have does not have that option built in.

what events plugin are you using.
    If your Events plugin does not have the option built in, then all events once happened should not be visible built still in your events list in ACP which you will be able to delete manually. 

mikel.

• 217 posts
    July 8, 2019 1:09 PM EDT

I think it is the default Social Engine Events plugin (if that is possible).  Otherwise it could be from my developers Social Solutions.  See screenshot.  ANy idea what plugin it is? 

• 6923 posts
    July 9, 2019 4:49 AM EDT

To check, always check the SEPHP demo as it's a standard install with all default settings. There is a Past Events button, https://demo.socialengine.com/events . Perhaps you have a customization? 

• 474 posts
    July 9, 2019 1:00 PM EDT

Hei Cmackie.

your first screenshot looks like social engine built in, like donna says. . Not social engine solutions. otherwise it may read, ses-events or ses-advanced events.

Donna is right. She the Information God...

by the looks of your screenshot, you will have 'past events' button. Im not sure where (its been a long time since I looked for it) but check the global settings or the Member level settings. If you have not 'checked marked' the option then members will not see past events.

in any case you can do mass delete on all past events. just go down the list of events that are 'past' or 'happened' then 'check' them (on the left of ID) then at bottom of page press 'delete checked events' or you can do it one at a time.
    Beware though, view the event first, as ' date created' is not the same as 'date of event' . in my experience members created events for weeks in advance. so view the event for the 'event start date' or ' event end date' so only delete events that have happened then add 1 week then delete event as some members my be commenting on the event still because some events roll over to a second event or could be extended by the event owner..

I remember visiting your site awhile ago.. looked great then. will look better once it fills up as you would like it too.

mikel.

• 217 posts
    July 9, 2019 1:32 PM EDT

Thanks Mikel!

There is nothing relating to past events in global or member level settings unfort.

• 6923 posts
    July 9, 2019 5:54 PM EDT

Check in Appearance > Menu Editor and look in Events Main Navigation. You should have a Past Events menu as well as some others. Open that menu and see if it's enabled or disabled.

• 217 posts
    July 10, 2019 1:48 PM EDT

Great.  The buttons showed up.  How do I ensure that the events tab lands on the upcoming events page?  RIght now the chronological order of the events on the landing page is quite scrambled.  See screenshot.

• 6923 posts
    July 11, 2019 5:56 AM EDT

The screenshot you are showing is the "My Events" page. Can you double check that you went to the right place? 

• 217 posts
    July 11, 2019 4:42 PM EDT

This is the "events' browse page.  It is linked to the events tab and It contains all events.  I have made the title "All of your events".  I have just changed it to say "All Events."  Is that what was causing confusion?  

As I said and as you can see from the screenshot the events browse page has a chronological order which is scrambled.  Any idea how I can fix this?

• 217 posts
    July 14, 2019 11:36 AM EDT

Hi Mikel,

When I go to delete past events I can't see the date of the event, I can only see the date the event was created.  See screenshot.  I need to delete events whose date has passed so the creation date is irrelevant.  See screenshot.  How can I identify which events have passed within the ACP.

• 217 posts
    July 14, 2019 11:43 AM EDT

Hi Donna,

When I click on the upcoming events button it lists the oldest events first (and includes future and past events).  See screenshot.

When I click on the past events button it lists the newest events first (and includes future and past events).  See screenshot.

Why is it doing this and how can I fix it?

• 6923 posts
    July 15, 2019 5:49 AM EDT

Perhaps there were some customizations or plugins on your site as it doesn't do that at the demo, https://demo.socialengine.com/events .

• 6923 posts
    July 15, 2019 5:52 AM EDT

Oh I see, I thought you said they were out of order. Yes, it lists oldest first so that users don't miss an event. Otherwise, they would miss the older events under upcoming. The reverse for the expired events as most want to see the most recent expired events. I don't see any future events in the past events here https://demo.socialengine.com/events/past

• 217 posts
    July 15, 2019 8:40 AM EDT

Your last link takes me to "page not found."  

When I click on upcoming events the list starts with events from the past.

When I click on past events the list starts with the event that is furthest out in the future.  

You are saying this is normal?  This would be highly misleading for users.  

• 6923 posts
    July 16, 2019 5:23 AM EDT

The link works fine for me. Please remember not to click the links from the emails as it has extra stuff in the link. Please check at the demo. Yes, it's expected when on any social network that upcoming events show events that would expire first or people can miss those events if they are at the end. For past events, it's expected that the most recently expired events are shown first as most users don't want to see the oldest events as that could have events dating back 10 years for older sites. Upcoming events wouldn't show expired events though. Past events wouldn't show any current events. 

• 217 posts
    July 16, 2019 6:15 AM EDT

Ok yes the link is working form within the forum.

So to be clear:

When you click on upcoming events, no past/expired events will show.  Your link confirms this.

When you click on past events, no future events will show.  Your link confirms this.

As you can see from the screenshots above my site is not functioning in this fashion.

My events never last more than one day.  You will see that when you click on upcoming events, past events are showing.  When you click on past events, future events are showing. 

You are confident this is a problem with the customisation and not the SE platform then? 

• 217 posts
    July 16, 2019 6:23 AM EDT

Donna can you help me with my note to Mikel on July 14, 2019 11:36 AM EDT above?

I need to know how I can identify which events have passed within the manage events page of the ACP?

I asked him: 

When I go to delete past events I can't see the date of the event, I can only see the date the event was created.  See screenshot.  I need to delete events whose date has passed so the creation date is irrelevant.  See screenshot.  How can I identify which events have passed within the manage events page of the ACP?
    • 6923 posts
    July 17, 2019 4:50 AM EDT
    cmackie said:

Ok yes the link is working form within the forum.

So to be clear:

When you click on upcoming events, no past/expired events will show.  Your link confirms this.

When you click on past events, no future events will show.  Your link confirms this.

As you can see from the screenshots above my site is not functioning in this fashion.

My events never last more than one day.  You will see that when you click on upcoming events, past events are showing.  When you click on past events, future events are showing. 

You are confident this is a problem with the customisation and not the SE platform then? 

Since it works at our demo, there must be some customization or plugin on your site that is causing them to show differently. I know you've had several threads in which you've been getting customization help. Perhaps one of those changes caused the issue.

• 6923 posts
    July 17, 2019 4:51 AM EDT
    cmackie said:

Donna can you help me with my note to Mikel on July 14, 2019 11:36 AM EDT above?

I need to know how I can identify which events have passed within the manage events page of the ACP?

I asked him: 

When I go to delete past events I can't see the date of the event, I can only see the date the event was created.  See screenshot.  I need to delete events whose date has passed so the creation date is irrelevant.  See screenshot.  How can I identify which events have passed within the manage events page of the ACP?

You would need a customization to show that information or a plugin perhaps - if there is an advanced event plugin. You may want to ask experts who have some in our store if they do what you want.

• 217 posts
    July 17, 2019 5:05 AM EDT

Thanks!  Do you have any idea which ones might have this functionality?