Does an SE site use cookies?

• 217 posts
    July 17, 2019 5:29 AM EDT

Does an SE site use cookies so that I have to provide a "accept cookies" pop up when people sign in?

• 6923 posts
    July 17, 2019 6:36 AM EDT

It depends on what's on your site. For example, Youtube uses cookies. If you have Youtube videos, you have cookies. The best way to see is via the developer console in the browser:

For Google Chrome, there are two ways to get to the developer console. Right click on the webpage and click on inspect. Or, in the browser menu go to More tools > Developer tools. This will open up the developer console in Google Chrome.

From the console, go the Application tab. Here you can see the cookies installed by the webpage on the browser by different domains.

For Mozilla Firefox, from the website you want to analyze, click on the toolbar, go to Tools > Web Developer > Web Console.  Or right-click on the webpage and go to Inspect Element. This will open the developer console for Mozilla Firefox.

Now, from the console, click on the storage tab at the top right of the page. Expand the cookie drop-down and it will show you the cookies used on the website.

And at our demo it would show YouTube cookies as there are YouTube videos shared there.

• 6923 posts
    July 17, 2019 6:37 AM EDT

As for an Accept popup, I don't use one but I have them agree to the terms of service and privacy when they join my site. You may want to check GDPR plugins if you'll be doing business in Europe.

• July 17, 2019 2:14 PM EDT
    cmackie said:

Does an SE site use cookies so that I have to provide a "accept cookies" pop up when people sign in?

You can try our below 2 plugins as per your need:

1. Popup Builder Plugin: This has a cookie consent popup which you can use to simply show the cookie: https://www.socialengine.com/marketplace/app/popup-builder-plugin

2. Professional GDPR Plugin: This plugin has detailed GDPR features. https://www.socialengine.com/marketplace/app/professional-gdpr-plugin

Hope the information will help you.

Regards

Team SocialNetworking.Solutions

• 348 posts
    July 18, 2019 5:11 AM EDT
    cmackie said:

Hi cmackie,

SEAO's GDPR Compliance Plugin can fulfil your above requirement, this plugin allows you to:

• Display all the cookies and any other consents you want to approve from the users as privacy preferences.

• Cookies for which consent is not received by the user will be blocked (consents can be withdrawn or approved again anytime).

Attached screenshots for reference. 

In a case of any query, please feel free to Contact Us.

Thanks!

This post was edited by SocialEngineAddOns at July 18, 2019 5:13 AM EDT
    • 217 posts
    July 24, 2019 10:51 AM EDT

Brilliant, thanks all!

Donna, I followed your instructions and the following things showed up in the table.  Problem is I don't know what they mean!   Do you have any idea?  See screenshot. 

• 6923 posts
    July 25, 2019 6:19 AM EDT

It looks like the session (when the user logs in), the locale and language(saved for the user's language preference). If the user clears their cookies after leaving the site, those wouldn't stay saved. I have firefox set to clear all cache and cookies when I close it out. I would imagine that the session and uid would clear anyway. The language and locale might stay saved but I am not sure. The best test is to use a different browser and fully clear all cookies. Then visit the site and log in. Log out and navigate away from the site in another tab, closing that tab. Check your cookies and see what's saved. Then, close the browser and reopen it. Check cookies again and see what's saved. 

• 217 posts
    July 26, 2019 5:29 AM EDT
    Thanks Donna!

If I understand my developer screen in chrome correctly there are four items relating to cookies and you have given me two.  What am I missing?

Also, if I follow your instructions, how do I check the cookies if I’m not on the site?
    • 6923 posts
    July 26, 2019 9:24 AM EDT

I gave you two because two are for language and two are for the user log in. I did mention that above.

If not on your site and on another site, you would check it the same way.

If you mean saved cookies you would check for tutorials for your browser and how to see cookies as each browser is different. Please note that cookies are not my area of expertise other than baking them.I am trying to assist to the best of my limited knowledge on cookies.

• 217 posts
    August 6, 2019 1:16 PM EDT

Sorry for my delayed response.

You said: The language and locale might stay saved but I am not sure. The best test is to use a different browser and fully clear all cookies. Then visit the site and log in. Log out and navigate away from the site in another tab, closing that tab. Check your cookies and see what's saved. Then, close the browser and reopen it. Check cookies again and see what's saved. 

This is quite involved and I am not sure I now how to "navigate away from the site in another tab."  

I cleared all cookies in chrome, navigated to the site then navigated away and the cookies did not show up in the developer screen.  I don't know if that is what you were asking me to do.  

In any case, even if I found out that no cookies are saved I would probably want a "accept cookies" pop up just because of the cookies that we found (for language and login) so I think it is not necessary to look further. Correct?

• 6923 posts
    August 7, 2019 5:36 AM EDT

You might want one, yes. I don't use one but many do. I use the default terms and privacy checkbox.