Super slow loading (NOT slow server NOT cache)

• mmx
    • 5 posts
    July 25, 2019 3:03 PM EDT

Hello there community!

I have huge problem with my SE site which takes up to 30 seconds to load but only the first time! Then as soon as I refresh or navigate inside it works fine at a normal speed.

The server is not the issue as it is not a shared hosting but a dedicated server with 64 GB RAM i7 cpu and SSD disks. Also I have a few more sites on the same server (not running on SE) that have no issues at all and they are supposed to be "heavy".

I used to have the settings for the cache to use ACPu and I thought that maybe there was something wrong with it so I tried also File Based cache but the result was the same.

In the end I disabled caching completely and still got the same issue.

The error logs from SE do not report anything (the last errors where many months ago).

I have installed ONLY the official plugins.

Versions:
    Core 4.10.3p5
    Albums 4.10.3p1
    Blogs 4.10.3
    Classifieds 4.10.3p2
    Polls 4.10.3
    Forum 4.10.3

and the following theme:
    SES - Responsive Expose Theme 4.10.3p9

No I do NOT have any active support to ask SE to check it for me.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Check the attached image:

• 6923 posts
    July 26, 2019 4:41 AM EDT

Hi, the attached image is too small to read. Even when downloaded and using zoom, then it becomes all blurred. Please upgrade to latest version as well. Please post the PHP version and mysql version being used. What's the datacenter in relation to your location? Are you using cloudflare (it can actually slow a site these days)? Cache is recommended. 

What browser? Did you try with default theme enabled (I would try this first and with cache enabled)? What other settings? Did you try with browser cache enabled? Assuming that you clear history and cookies upon closing the browser. Did you check the error log? Have you cleared all logs after checking them? Logs eat memory. Have you checked server logs? 

• mmx
    • 5 posts
    July 26, 2019 7:59 AM EDT

Hi and thanks for the quick reply.

I am reattaching screenshots.

PHP version 7.2.20
    MySQL Server version: 5.6.44

The hosting server is located in Germany and I am located in Sweden.

The server is dedicated with 1Gps connection and same at my home/office. But I get the same results from anywhere I tried. Also the server is not running more than 5 sites, and the other ones seem to be running just fine.

The browser is Chrome/Firefox and Edge (from Windows and MacOS).

I will try the rest of your suggestions and come back again!

• mmx
    • 5 posts
    July 26, 2019 8:11 AM EDT

I do not know why it shrinks the images..
    Check here please..

https://ibb.co/pbNRDRD
    https://ibb.co/FXR2zDD

It is shown clearly that the lag is before any file starts downloading.

After that, the site loads fast again.

• 6923 posts
    July 26, 2019 9:21 AM EDT

Check your favicon as it's causing an issue. Check the perms on it. Make sure there's no issue with it. Also, you didn't mention whether you are using cloudflare.

Does this page load slowly for you http://demo.scripttechs.com/se/ you could pm me your site link and I could see how well it loads from my end. I might not be online when you send it but can check it when I am.

• 6923 posts
    July 26, 2019 9:22 AM EDT

Oh is it the admin panel loading slowly or the visitor page?

• mmx
    • 5 posts
    July 26, 2019 9:30 AM EDT

I do not use cloudflare.

I used the admin panel as example to avoid the case where extra things are loaded because of the theme etc. But this slowness happens in a variety of pages.

Let me say once again that the page is NOT always slow. To me (a non very technical person) it looks more like "random". So you might go to my website now and it will load fast and 10 minutes later it might take up to 19-30 seconds.

After the 19-30 seconds delay happens.. if I refresh the website it goes fast, it does not matter what page I am on.

I am going to send a pm now.

Thanks Donna!

• 6923 posts
    July 26, 2019 9:46 AM EDT

I'm still getting a 404 for your favicon. Have a look or maybe upload a new one. Be sure you have cache enabled, cleared and working. Check all permissions to ensure they are as per the tutorial https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5112151/se-php-optimized-file-and-folder-permissions . 

Your theme is slow loading. Even if you are in admin, it'll be loading everything so that's something to consider. Especially if caching is not enabled as caching speeds the site load. Each page I go to seems to have issues with images loading so that's where I could focus in troubleshooting. Try making a development site. It would need to be on the same domain as a subdomain is best. Make it closed to the public by enabling maintenance mode that requires a password in order to see the site. This is allowed per the license. on that development site, do not load anything other than the SocialEngine script and SocialEngine plugins. No third party stuff. Test that site and see how it loads. Then, upload a favicon to it. Making sure all permissions are good. See if it loads still. If it does, try uploading the theme and see what happens.

Even the forum page hangs and the thing taking longest is again, the images. Something is going on. Do you have Imagick enabled per the requirements? If not, that will cause image issues on the site. Ask the host to ensure all requirements are met, it would be best if all recommendations are met really. https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5210530/se-php-socialengine-requirements as imagick is in the recommendations. (Image Magic)

There are a lot of errors in the developer console (inspect element) related to the theme and js. Might want to look into those. 

I don't recall whether you said if you cleared your logs in the log browser in admin but if not, those eat memory and slow down the site. Be sure to clear them out each week by deleting them. 

I hope the above helps you. 

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at July 28, 2019 5:50 AM EDT
    • 303 posts
    July 27, 2019 8:58 PM EDT

site took 2 seconds to load for myself, tried loading the site several times. 

My site runs quickish ( 1.1 seconds) and its heavy with mods. 

I run a 2gb droplet with

php7.2

apcu 

mariadb 

engintron with whm 

cloudflare

using engintron and cloudflare is a pain but worth it once you've sorted it. 

This post was edited by PeppaPigKilla at July 27, 2019 9:05 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 28, 2019 5:55 AM EDT

Thanks Peppa for your feedback.

I've stopped recommending cloudflare as it can cause site slowness if not on the paid version. Quite a few have been complaining of it. I use it on my wordpress as it's a small test blog and the tutorial blog. I believe the paid version is still fine as long as you don't do the extra caching and stuff available with cloudflare as some of that can cause a mess on the site. 

Did you have to do tweaks to work with mariadb? It's not supported out of the box but I know some use it. They just fix the error that tends to show if the PHP version isn't updated which yours is.

SEPHP isn't supported with Nginx either. BryZar does have it but it's tweaked. It can work well when tweaked. You must have had to do lots of tweaking and have good knowledge of it to make it work. I think there's a forum thread where someone posted how they got it working. I may be wrong about that but I recall something about it.

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at July 28, 2019 6:19 AM EDT
    • 303 posts
    July 28, 2019 7:44 PM EDT

I use the free version of cloudflare and it works ok for myself however i dont use the minify it offers. 

Engintron just serves the static files so it works out the box however as mentioned a bit of extra work to get it working with cloudflare. 

I didnt actually do anything with mariadb, just have the latest version working and it just clicked, guess i got lucky with that 

• 6923 posts
    July 29, 2019 4:59 AM EDT
    PeppaPigKilla said:

I use the free version of cloudflare and it works ok for myself however i dont use the minify it offers. 

Engintron just serves the static files so it works out the box however as mentioned a bit of extra work to get it working with cloudflare. 

I didnt actually do anything with mariadb, just have the latest version working and it just clicked, guess i got lucky with that 

That's great info. I know cloudflare used to be so good so I'm glad it works fine for you. I used to be in their beta program before they launched way back when. Perhaps they've fixed some things that were causing slowness. I'll try it again on one of my sites to see how it works. I mean other than the small wp test sites.

• mmx
    • 5 posts
    August 3, 2019 5:39 AM EDT

Can someone clarify if in the "Optimized File and Folder Permissions" guide when it says "Apply recursive 777 permissions to below directories" does it mean also mean the permissions should be applied on files?

Same with the "Apply 755 permissions to rest of the directories and subdirectories" should be applied only in dirs and subdirs or the files that are inside those dirs ?

Thanks!

• 78 posts
    August 3, 2019 7:59 AM EDT
    PeppaPigKilla said:

I run a 2gb droplet with

php7.2

apcu 

mariadb 

engintron with whm 

cloudflare

Sorry to hijack this post but do you have a problem with the "Remember Me" feature with php 7.2?

With php 7.1 it save my login but with php7.2 it doesnt save my login and I have to constantly login again once the browser is closed.

• 6923 posts
    August 3, 2019 10:19 AM EDT
    mmx said:

Can someone clarify if in the "Optimized File and Folder Permissions" guide when it says "Apply recursive 777 permissions to below directories" does it mean also mean the permissions should be applied on files?

Same with the "Apply 755 permissions to rest of the directories and subdirectories" should be applied only in dirs and subdirs or the files that are inside those dirs ?

Thanks!

First, try just directories. If that doesn't work, try both as some servers have different specs. 

• 6923 posts
    August 3, 2019 10:20 AM EDT
    themrt said:
    PeppaPigKilla said:

I run a 2gb droplet with

php7.2

apcu 

mariadb 

engintron with whm 

cloudflare

Sorry to hijack this post but do you have a problem with the "Remember Me" feature with php 7.2?

With php 7.1 it save my login but with php7.2 it doesnt save my login and I have to constantly login again once the browser is closed.

I would never, ever use "remember me" for any site as it is not a secure thing to do. Not for facebook, twitter or any other site. If you ever get your browser hijacked, someone will be getting into all of the sites you clicked to remember me on. I actually remove that from any site I make (of my own sites). Please do not post different topics in a thread. If you have a question, please first search and then if you don't find that same subject, please post in another thread.

• 303 posts
    August 4, 2019 8:13 AM EDT
    themrt said:
    PeppaPigKilla said:

I run a 2gb droplet with

php7.2

apcu 

mariadb 

engintron with whm 

cloudflare

Sorry for late reply and seeing a new thread wasnt created i'll answer here. 

Yes i had the same issues with 7.2