Anyone have an auto/scheduled Maint switch ?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 18, 2019 1:06 PM EDT

It's been advised when backing up the database to be sure the site is in Maintenance mode to prevent DB corruption (in 3 decades, never had issues with DBs in LAN/WAN/PC environments, so I guess MySQL and/or SE and/or web-based DB apps are finicky and prone to curruption).

During development this wasn't a huge concern of mine, but will soon be when going live (i.e. Users accessing site when backups are scheduled).  I haven't seen a Plugin (now or in the past 5 years or so in the prev marketplace) that does this using a configurable schedule (which the excellent JetBackup has), but was wondering if someone has paid for a similar customization and if so, who is the 3PD.  Can't see reinventing the wheel here.

Along with this, what else are you doing when backing up to:

• prevent DB corruption
    • kickoff Users safely so they don't lose their work and get ticked at you

thx

• 6923 posts
    August 18, 2019 3:48 PM EDT

It's any script with Mysql database. It's always recommended to set the site to an offline status when backing up. Some info here, https://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql-backup-excerpt/5.7/en/backup-types.html

For the kicking off users, my friend with a very active site has an announcement that stays on the site and says what time and day(s) the backup occurs. I don't recall whether they set a cron to set the site to offline/maintenance mode or if they did it manually.