fresh install in sub domain

• December 23, 2019 1:47 PM EST

I am trying to install SE in a new sub domain for testing purposes. 

When going to /install/index.php, I am getting ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS even after refreshing the page for a few times using Chrome or Windows Edge.

What is the solution to this?

Also, will the new install be creating a new database if I give it a new name (step 3 of https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5145149/se-php-installing-socialengine). I don't want to affect my production site.

Thanks,

• 6923 posts
    December 23, 2019 2:08 PM EST

It's best to use a subdomain and be sure to set it as "development" such as development.yoursite.com as that is what the license requires. It also has to be password protected or set to maintenance mode. Yes, you need to make a new database for it with a name different than your main database. 

• 6923 posts
    December 23, 2019 2:09 PM EST

If you host with BryZar, you can ask them how to set it all up. If you don't host with them, you can ask your host as they might know how as well.

• 6923 posts
    December 24, 2019 4:48 AM EST

There is no subdomain license key. That was incorrect. As I said, you must conform to the license terms. 

• 41 posts
    June 21, 2022 1:31 PM EDT

I am searching for a tutorial or instructions to build a test site (subdomain) in here but can't find any.

Is there a tutorial somewhere ?

• 6923 posts
    June 23, 2022 6:12 AM EDT

You would just follow the normal installation instructions but for a test site, it must be in a subdomain named "development" and using the same domain as the license so development.yourdomain.com where yourdomain.com is your licensed domain. It has to be either in a password protected directory or it needs to be in maintenance mode which requires a code to see the site. 

• 41 posts
    June 24, 2022 9:35 AM EDT

Thanks Donna.

• 41 posts
    June 24, 2022 10:00 AM EDT

Forgot to add something: I solved the access to the development site changing the .htaccess file here

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST}  !^development\.mysite\.com$       [NC]

RewriteRule ^(.*)         https://development.mysite.com/$1  [L,R]

I had a redirection, it is not the original one. But the point here is that it should specify development. 

I think this is the only missing part in the instructions summarised by Donna above. 

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at June 24, 2022 11:53 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    June 24, 2022 11:54 AM EDT

Please note do not add any code to this community without putting it in the code tags as our rules say. I have fixed your post.

Please also note that in all the years making development sites in SE, I have never had to edit the htaccess. Thanks for the tips in case someone else has the same issue.