Compose Message - "Send To" box does not populate user's name

• 35 posts
    March 8, 2020 11:00 PM EDT

I'm trying to compose a messages to send to users on my website. However, when I begin to type a users name, the name will not populate even if I spell it out completely. If I try to send the message with a typed in name I get an error telling me the "Send To" field must be populated. This happens with all users except two people, which is weird. Their only commonality is they both created website addresses using numbers and both the display name and username are identical. I created a test member profile called B260 where the display name and username were identical to see if the number(s) made a difference in being able to send a message to that user. It did not.

At the Membership level I verified "Allow Messaging" was enabled. I set "Use editor for messaging?" to Plain Text.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be going on?

• 6923 posts
    March 9, 2020 5:15 AM EDT

Please see if the users you want to send to are friends. If they are not friends, please see whether you allowed your user level to send to non friends.

• 35 posts
    March 9, 2020 12:27 PM EDT

Hi Donna,

Yes, I forgot to mention that. Yes, I did check that but only for the default level. I went back to check the other levels.

I falsely assumed that Admins and Super Admins would have the ability to message anyone, but that was not the case. I changed the settings and all is good now.

Thank you!

• 6923 posts
    March 10, 2020 5:16 AM EDT

I had thought the same before in regards to admin and super admin. It is surprising to see that's not the case.