Drag and Drop File Profile Photo Uploader

• 31 posts
    May 4, 2020 6:58 PM EDT

Long time request. New version of photo uploader. Ability to drag and drop. Better thumbnail that doesn't resize. Easier to use on mobile.

• 6923 posts
    May 5, 2020 4:58 AM EDT

Would you please check our stickied guidelines for posting feature requests? We appreciate requests but need them in the format we requested they be in. Thank you!

Whatever we do for features also has to conform to accessibility guidelines. From here on out, anything we do must be accessible too.

• 6923 posts
    May 5, 2020 4:59 AM EDT

https://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/3/submitting-feature-requests

• 31 posts
    May 5, 2020 5:52 AM EDT

I read the feature request page before posting and dont see how any of my posts don't follow that.

Short and descriptive example feature request title - 

Drag and Drop File Profile Photo Uploader

A summary of the feature request.
    New version of photo uploader.

Details of settings, steps to use or see this feature, benefits.
    Ability to drag and drop.
    Better thumbnail that doesn't resize.
    Easier to use on mobile.

Am I missing something? I mean i'm not hashing out the lines of code that need to be edited or going into insane detail of which photo uploader i think you should use but like...

This post was edited by DreamCoder at May 5, 2020 5:54 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    May 5, 2020 5:54 AM EDT

"Better thumbnail" ? How is it to be better?

"Easier on mobile" ? How is it not easy now? 

Actually, as we allow just one request per feature, those last two might need their own, depending on what those involve. 

• 6923 posts
    May 5, 2020 5:55 AM EDT

Have you tried the free mobile apps for that last one? Noting that the "mobile plugin" was deprecated and no longer supported.

• 31 posts
    May 5, 2020 6:22 AM EDT

I figured i was speaking to a standard. Any drag and drop file uploader that exists. Here is one example i got from Googling "Drag and drop photo uploader"

https://imgur.com/upload

There is no issue with accessibility with many of these having fallback or other options. It would depend on which one SE picks to code in. 

http://digitaldesignjournal.com/drag-drop-file-uploader/ Here are more.

The thumbnail on SE is not how pretty much any thumbnail works

Current steps.
    1. Choose file
    2. Page reloads with upload photo
    3. Edit profile photo to make a thumbnail??
    4. Drag crop thumbnail.
    5. Apply Changes. Fine...

Then users hit save photo. Oops. Now the photo is a tiny little dot because it zoomed in again. I mean this isn't really a bug, it is how you designed it, but it just is really bad UX, not standard and not user friendly. 

It SHOULD be...

1 chose file manual or drag and drop Preferably with the progress bar of time for upload not just spinning circle. 
    2 Page reloads with new photo
    3 immediately have ability to reposition thumbnail or crop photo, zoom in or out, etc
    4 Done when you hit save button. 

This is how facebook as shown above, twitter, most major sites etc all work

I don't have a production site mobile yet, so no. I haven't used the new mobile apps. Regardless there will still be a mobile site fall back for people not using the app, who access via mobile device.

• 6923 posts
    May 5, 2020 6:31 AM EDT

The profile photo thumbnail is a different issue and a different request please as it requires changing something other than the uploader. We did change the phrase on that recently though as people thought they had to crop it.

• 6923 posts
    May 5, 2020 6:33 AM EDT

Let me think about this a bit. It is a little more involved than just uploading and is asking for photo manipulation features but it's early and I'm spread so thin. I need a little time to ponder this one.

• 31 posts
    May 5, 2020 6:42 AM EDT

They are generally all part of the same code. Whichever uploader you pick to switch into would have these features more than likely. That's why i grouped it all together. 

No rush. Just putting the things all back in the proper places since they have gotten lost.

• 33 posts
    June 22, 2021 8:39 AM EDT
    I second this request - "Drag and drop" photo uploads, similar to the interaction on Facebook.