Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Where Did Edit Profile "Edit Location"

• 258 posts
    May 31, 2020 12:41 PM EDT

Hi Guys,

Ive been trying to test and understand the relationship of "Location" in Member Searches.

We used to have in 4.xx  Edit Profile - "Edit Location " Button,

where the user in his profile could set his Location. Which affected the search Members based on what options you selected .

This used to work well.

I dont see that option anymore, How is Location affecting

1) Signup Profile - Should we include it in the signup form or should we use Timezone or should we use Country?? 

2) Search members

What is the correct way to set it up?

The goal is to have effective searching by location and proximity.

It works adhoc in our tests.

a) Location does not work in Sign Up Form

b) The search member results do not work effectively.

We are using 3DP plugins so Im not sure if its a3DP issue or am I setting up things wrong

Thanks !!!!

This post was edited by playmusician at May 31, 2020 12:47 PM EDT
    • 159 posts
    May 31, 2020 4:47 PM EDT

I'm not using 3DP plugins. Given that there is nowhere for a Google Maps API key to be input in my admin panel or anything locally available to geocode textual locations, I am pretty sure location is a 3DP plugin. I also want to include proximity searching on my site, but this is something that will have to wait given the development effort involved and the fact I want to keep my site self-contained.

I actually could not see the point of using 'Country', apart from the fact that it is pre-populated with a list of countries. 

Edit: I think the Advanced Activity Feeds and Wall plugin from SocialApps.tech is the plugin you may have.

• 258 posts
    May 31, 2020 5:12 PM EDT

Makes sense, will check with the  3DP on that particular plugin.Forgot it was not stock SE. 
    Its hard getting info as there no clean detailed manuals for plugins , we use over 70 of those plugins so it can get complex when its integrated with events, etc etc.

To make the site more powerful with search and proximity features, we have implemented Location & Country.

Yes, We use Country creatively with "Networks" to do a lot of stuff, hopefully it will be scalable when we go live.

Yes I do have pretty much all of 3DP( Social Apps,Social Networking) Plugins and am very familiar with nearly all of their plugins.

We are building a complex powerful social engine site.

Hope Zend doesnt let us down- its a weak link for scalability.

Fingers Crossed LOL

• 258 posts
    June 1, 2020 12:21 AM EDT

Hope this helps someone 

If your using SEAO -Advanced Activity Feed Plugin and Users "Edit Location "

is not visible 

1) You can enable it from the Menu Editor

Member Edit Profile Navigation Menu > Edit Menu  > Edit location

2)  you can always add it to the menu by this URL

https://domain.com/member/edit-location/

**replace the domain with your domain

Thanks

This post was edited by playmusician at June 1, 2020 12:29 AM EDT
    • 5035 posts
    June 1, 2020 7:16 AM EDT

Moving this to 3rd party discussions.

• 258 posts