Upgraded SEPHP 4.9.3 to 4.9.4p1 No Issues

• 6923 posts
    September 5, 2017 1:32 PM EDT

I post these in case they help anyone. I upgraded my live site over the weekend (my demo had been upgraded already). I always wait on the live site so I can fully backup the site files and database and I like to test on a development clone.

1. Upgraded my development clone (copy) of my live site. It's on my local mamp install. No issues there.

2. Did a full backup of files and database.

3. Set the site to maintenance mode. 

4. Applied the patch in the new upgrade steps.

5. Upgraded the main core files and looked for any issues.

6. Upgraded the SE plugins, one at a time - checking for issues after each one.

7. Cleared cache as that's what I always do after upgrading.

8. Set the site online.

I had no errors shown after upgrade. 

I'm using cazaratech hosting with 4GB Ram, PHP 7 on Ubuntu 16. 

Using cloned Insignia theme that I changed fonts and simple things on. Only expert plugins are the ones I make and give free as ScriptTechs. 

Hope this helps!

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at September 5, 2017 1:35 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    September 5, 2017 2:10 PM EDT

Well sure, without 100+ 3PD Plugins and multiple cores, you make it look easy

Seriously though, thanks for posting Donna.  It's always good to see steps others take in case I need to add any of them to my upgrade procedure document, or consider changing the sequence if there's something more efficient and/or reliable.  You're the best!

• 6923 posts
    September 6, 2017 9:05 AM EDT

Thanks! Yes it's easier without plugins but my process would be the same except I would add updating plugins after all of the SE official plugins were updated. Checking after updating each plugin again. Long process with so many plugins. 

• 629 posts
    September 8, 2017 9:01 PM EDT

Actually I love 4.9.4. It's the best release yet. With the exception of a new bug I saw, as a typo in the create announcement form.