MAIN PHOTO - File exceeds the defined ini size

• 57 posts
    June 28, 2020 11:28 AM EDT

Hello,

If anyone knows where to change the defined size of the main user photo, could you please guide me. 

Best Regards.

• 265 posts
    June 28, 2020 11:47 AM EDT

This is a php.ini setting.

You will be able to set it in your:

• /.htaccess file if you are using Apache or Litespeed;
    • through your hosts control panel if you are using a web host;
    • by editing the memory_limit, post_max_size and max_upload_size PHP variables in your php.ini file.
    • 6923 posts
    June 28, 2020 11:51 AM EDT

If using BryZar, please send a ticket as messing with the .htaccess can mess up ispmanager and can mess up your site. Please note also that the recommended size we have in our requirements are the limits you should use. Going over that can be a security risk. You should get with your host before making such changes if you aren't aware of the security consequences.

• 57 posts
    June 28, 2020 12:00 PM EDT

Thank you,

I just found an answer by SonicPossum, it works, yay! Now, something I noticed is that image does not show properly, it is rotated/angle/tilt to one side)

• 6923 posts
    June 28, 2020 12:25 PM EDT

Make sure you have all of the requirements, https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/81788966/se-php-socialengine-requirements especially Imagick. I don't recall the other server configuration that some hosts are missing that can cause image rotation. 

• 6923 posts
    June 28, 2020 12:27 PM EDT

Please note that the file edit you did will be overwritten on upgrades and voids support. We do not support edited sites. However, you can still get support here in the community. 

• 57 posts
    June 28, 2020 1:19 PM EDT

Hello Donna,

I put back the as original "null", I'm wondering why we should not update this one when I guess SE commented this part of the code that it was tested up to 2gb. I did not see Imagick I will see with my host provider to see this.

What is the best way to update it? 

• 6923 posts
    June 28, 2020 1:52 PM EDT

For my own sites, I never allow large uploads. Too much of a security risk but each website owner needs to decide if it's worth the risk. If you need large uploads, ask your host for the best configuration to allow it. Then, also check the member level settings for space allowed as you wouldn't want them to use all of their allowed space on one photo. https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5210639/se-php-member-levels

Wasn't trying to discourage you btw. Just giving cautionary warning. I'm not a server expert, my partner in BryZar is. I just pass along info I've learned along the way, as well as what our core developer has said as he and my BryZar partner both said even 15 is too high a limit but it is in our requirements due to the upgrade file size. That is something we need to improve. For v6, I hope we can also improve photo uploads to minimize the sizes but keep the quality. That might be a pipe dream but, as a photo enthusiast, it is a goal. 

• 57 posts
    June 28, 2020 6:12 PM EDT

I do understand your point, I would not like take any chance either, but people use more their mobile than pc these days, users are getting frustrated because they cannot upload any of their photos from their mobiles because we all know pictures are heaviest in size than 10 years ago. Any advice for this?

• 6923 posts
    June 29, 2020 6:00 AM EDT

I still don't allow big ones on my site as I cannot afford to use an external storage. If you are going to allow the larger ones, I recommend using external storage. Then, also, check with the host for the best way to allow large uploads. They'll need to know a size limit you want to have. I would at least have a reasonable limit as you wouldn't want someone tying up the server with a massive file upload and then crashing everything. Maybe figure out a max size that would be uploaded from a mobile device and set just a little above it as your limit. If you see performance issues, scale it back.