Community

Forums » SECloud Feature Requests

User Import CVS to invite all friends

• 15 posts
    September 8, 2017 5:44 PM EDT

The success of most social networks is due to the friends importer feature.

Enable users to invite their whole address book to the network. Then send reminder emails until that person unsubscribes or joins the network.

• gs
    • 851 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:04 PM EDT

==>"Then send reminder emails until that person unsubscribes or joins the network."

That may be considered a little pushy to some and may get your site email blacklisted as spam. That may also be against legal email rules as the individual has made no direct contact with you whatsoever in any way (your User obviously has, but not their friends - and them sending their direct friend/contact an email is treated much different than you doing so indirectly).

My belief is that if their own friend (using that term loosely as many Users don't even know how to spell the names of all their 'friends', all gazillion of them) prompting them to join doesn't work, my as an anonymous person or 'Site Administrator' (or whatever term) is more likely to tick them off than get them to join.  I prefer to incentivize Users to contact their friends on occassion.  They and their true friends are more likely to want to be part of the same community(ies), and this way it keeps my site away from potentially being treated as spam.  Just my 2 cents.

• 15 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:11 PM EDT

Dont agree, I imported my hotmail address list into facebook many times and it not only helps me find friends on facebook it also help me to grow my network. 

• 15 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:13 PM EDT

I started on twitter that very same way and linkedin to and it help me grow my followers of friends. Each users would be in control of who they invite from there address book.

• 15 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:14 PM EDT

Whats app for instance could not even operate without users importing there address books to find friends etc. Although the network as a whole benefits from the growth it is the individual who benefits the most. 

• 15 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:16 PM EDT

If I imported my address book into facebook today, its lets me select about 10 people from the list to invite to control and amount of emails being sent. All what needs to be done is a few checks and balances with limitations so people do not abuse the system. Perfect legitimate way of growing, since all the major sites used this technique why cant we?

• 15 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:17 PM EDT

Linked limits the amount of emails sent to users by 3 times. Just for info.

• gs
    • 851 posts
    September 9, 2017 5:12 PM EDT

My apologies, I think I got confused on syntax.

Does 'then send' refer to Users sending these emails (as it seems your examples show, i.e. you're contacting/recontacting your friends), or you as the ADMIN of your site 'then send[ing]' these repeated messages?  I see allowing people to send/resend/recontact their own friends through the site they're a member of, but I am cautious about the site sending these reminders directly until they unsubscribe or join.

If I recieve an email via FB/LinkedIn/etc FROM someone I know, that's one thing - I'll either look at the site and join, look/unsubsribe, or just unsubscribe.  But if FB/LinkedIn/etc. bombards me directly with emails to join their site then that's a problem (and I could be wrong, but I though this wasn't allowed).  When this happens I immediately unsubscribe and make a note to never join.  If they contact me again then I blacklist them.  Just my method, but I doubt I'm the only person who doesn't want unsolicited email. 

If your suggestion is Users sending these messages then yes - this is a FANTASTIC idea and helps grow sites.  A referral/reward system helps this along too.

• September 9, 2017 9:40 PM EDT

Welcome to the community, computer man!

I like your way of thinking. Invitations do make life a lot easier and I wish this for both Cloud and PHP.