Send email to members

• 154 posts
    September 9, 2017 10:12 PM EDT
    Hiya

lil feature request unless it's a function that happens already and I'm missing something.

When sending emails to users etc.
    Is there a way to send that same email to users mailboxes on the site also?

So when send email via the site, those users are also inboxed by the admin, so basically they have that email in their inbox of the site for records?

This be great also as it would give a notification too
    • 6923 posts
    September 11, 2017 6:37 AM EDT

Wow that would be a huge amount of notifications going out and in and out again. I use Sendgrid and the costs on something like this for a bug site would be amazingly high as it would send so much mail. Not to mention angering members who would then get triplicates (mail, site mail, site notification from site mail). 

It used to be a feature at the other script but was removed due to so many member complaints. I used to like it on my small site but then saw the issues on big sites where there are over 10k users. 

However, it could be a good feature on small sites or with extra controls with it. I like just having internal message option for this. So instead of sending emails, it gives the option to PM instead. This way, you conserve costs and reduce spam complaints from members.

• 629 posts
    September 11, 2017 11:03 AM EDT

I like the idea. I think an optional feature to turn it on or off would be all that is needed. Then people can receive on site notifications and manage all the posting needs through one interface.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 11, 2017 1:36 PM EDT

==>"Wow that would be a huge amount of notifications going out and in and out again."

This makes me question something I thought I knew but may be wrong about.  Are User2User messages actually sent out and back in or are they processed internally?  If they're internal I like this FR (with the On/Off feature by User).  In fact, this may grow into another FR because I would like to see ADMIN decide which options to provide the User (external, internal, or both) so the User may decide where they want messages sent (which prevents angering Users).

For example, in order to view actual site mail, I'm using SocialEngineMarket's RoundCube Plugin.  I'd prefer just be able to view the actual emails from the site from inside the site, rather than viewing them in Thunderbird (others may prefer external email).  Obviously, using RoundCube isn't the best solution (Users may add any email account, not just the site; and I can't automatically create a RoundCube account from the User's site account - but probably could with a customization).  But in a manual way, it somewhat give me access to site emails from within the site.  

I would be willing to modify the mockup in this post (http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/48/notification-email-notification-revamp-idea) if @Daniel would like.

• 6923 posts
    September 11, 2017 5:17 PM EDT

Let me rephrase. 

It would be mail going out to the user's email address. (out)

It would be a message in their pm box. (in)

It would be a notification that they got a message in their pm box. (out)

That's all I meant about the "in" is that it would be in their pm inbox. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 11, 2017 5:22 PM EDT

Oh, okay - thanks Donna.

I really had no clue on how this worked and agree that it's often best to minimize outgoing emails (performance hit, pocketbook hit, etc.).  This is why I have the other linked FR - so that ADMIN may reduce outgoing email if desired. 

As always, thanks for your help & valuable input

• 6923 posts
    September 11, 2017 5:28 PM EDT

no problem and happy to help.

• 154 posts
    September 16, 2017 2:42 PM EDT

TBH I don't think its a lot of notifications esp if you turn notification emails off.

Just an option to do it on IMPORTANT mail not every mail shot.

Plus with site notifications being pushed to mobile (getting bigger and becoming the norm), I think it would be nice.

Its also good as with emails we dont always have control over spam filters.
    Send 500 emails to members, I bet 450 make it regardless of send grid or mailgun.

So sending 500 emails, but message goes to users on-site mailbox, as message from admin.
    Would ensure that they have seen the message.

It could be notification setting that is 
    turn off notification email if from another member.

But you cant turn off notification email that comes from a admin level.

So if John inboxes Ted...... He doesnt get the notification email
    But Admin Inboxes Ted..... He gets the notification email.

I appreciate you mention about thats alot of Notifications, But SE has yet to address the notifications section.

I raised this ages ago.
    If you have 1000 members, then install a new plugin, disable the notifications once installed.
    By default all the 1000 members will receive the notifications for anything associated to the plugin.

Which caused have issues by being putting to a spam list.

There is not overiding feature in notifications, 
    There should be a mass overide button for Admin.

I block the notifications page, as I dont want users re-enabling all the notification for every post.