Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Importing Users from CSV etc.

• 21 posts
    July 21, 2020 9:07 AM EDT
    We have more than 1,000 users we’re hoping to bring over from a Facebook group and we’ve tried to use the SNS and Magwaapps import plugins, but neither of them seek to work - even with just one record, and even after tryng multiple data formats. Have any of you had success importing user records from a CSV file?
    • 5035 posts
    July 21, 2020 10:09 AM EDT

When I migrated from another script, where I worked before, I used the importer to import. It is the phpFox importer that comes with SEPHP. Perhaps if you have a dev, he/she can use that same routine to import your users. But, if you only have user names and emails, your dev should be able to write a small sql query as they would have your database access to view the user table.

• 159 posts
    July 21, 2020 10:20 AM EDT

What data from the CSV file do you want to import? Just email addresses or is there other stuff?

Do you want to send invites out to members? That way you can get them to fill out your profile fields as well.

Do you have passwords for your members? If not, it would probably be better to invite them anyway.

• July 21, 2020 10:20 AM EDT

Hello BernhardD,

Can you please open a support ticket for this issue at support@socialnetworking.solutions .

Regards

Team SNS

• 21 posts
    July 21, 2020 12:48 PM EDT

We have created a ticket for this and it appears as though this was user error / our mistake.

However, I do not see the file that you created with the correct format for importing.

We did try to follow the original template, but maybe did not include a header row.

Thanks,
    Bernard

• 21 posts
    July 21, 2020 1:23 PM EDT

This importing problem has been resolved.

It was user error as the first row in a data import like this needs to be the headers/fields for each item.

We should have realized this.

I will paste below how the data should be formatted with 2 fake users we created named Adam and Amila.

(Note that all of this data goes into the first cell in Excel and then needs to be saved as a CSV file.)

[Email Address]|[Password]|[First Name]|[Last Name]|[Gender (Male/Female)]|[Birthdate (yyyy-mm-dd)]

adam@tiaacref.com|AdamPolitea#|Adam|Little||1990-10-15  

amilajones5@gmail.com|AmilaPolitea#|Amila|Jones||1984-9-29        

I wanted to send a big THANK YOU to the SocialNetworkingSolutions team for working until past 10 p.m. their time to get this resolved very quickly.

A suggestion for SocialEngine and SNS would be to add an example like the one above to SE and/or Plugin documentation.

Thanks again to the SNS team.  Great job!

This post was edited by BernardD at July 21, 2020 1:25 PM EDT
    • 5035 posts
    July 21, 2020 2:04 PM EDT

Thanks for posting your solution! Glad it was resolved. :)

• July 21, 2020 2:11 PM EDT

Thank you for the confirmation and appreciation Bernard.

We will definitely implement your suggestion to improve our product.

Regards.