Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

Simplify passwords

• 40 posts
    July 24, 2020 7:58 AM EDT

Is there any plugin to simplify passwords just like in cPanel we can choose what kind of password we want.

I find most of new user complain about the the password in my site, they said it hard to create password.

If we see Facebook, twitter and IG, their password is very easy. it makes new user easy to signup.

• 58 posts
    July 24, 2020 11:54 AM EDT

Random password generation function?

• 40 posts
    July 24, 2020 4:37 PM EDT

Not Random password, right now user password must contain 6 characters, 1 uppercase, 1 lowercase, 1 number, 1 special, for some of new user this is hard and cancel the signup :(.

I wish that there is a plugin for me to set password only contain 8 characters, 1 uppercase only, or 9 characters, 1 number or may be contain 8 characters.

• 159 posts
    July 24, 2020 4:45 PM EDT

Edited: There was some untested code in this post, but another user reported that it did not work. I have withdrawn the code and will re-post it if/when I have time to test and debug it.

This post was edited by abuk at July 27, 2020 1:46 PM EDT
    • 40 posts
    July 24, 2020 11:35 PM EDT

Thanks Abuk let me try in development site.

For temp solution I ask new user to signup using facebook account, so they dont have to put password in signup page

• 5036 posts
    July 25, 2020 4:49 AM EDT

One additional warning about removing the security - this feature was one of the security fixes implemented after a security audit by an independent company. Removing the feature can get your user's hacked. None of us are facebook or those other sites. They have advanced security that billions of dollars can pay for. We don't. So, we have to come up with ways to be secure without having a billion dollar budget. 

However, 

I wish that there is a plugin for me to set password only contain 8 characters, 1 uppercase only, or 9 characters, 1 number or may be contain 8 characters.

And

Random password generation function

Are good ideas. Are those in the feature requests? 

• July 26, 2020 7:12 PM EDT

I tried this mod and it broke my signup page, so I reverted back to original Account.php and account.tpl.

• 159 posts
    July 27, 2020 1:46 PM EDT
    Nic Sanford Belgard said:

I tried this mod and it broke my signup page, so I reverted back to original Account.php and account.tpl.

Thanks for reporting that. I will get round to testing it and will report back in this thread when I have found it to be sucessful.

• July 27, 2020 1:54 PM EDT

And if it makes a difference, I am using 5.2.