Forums » 3rd Party Product Discussions

search result page layout problem

• 41 posts
    July 27, 2020 1:55 AM EDT

Im on SE 5.2.1 and using the default serenity theme.

I am wondering why, on a search result the words stick together without a space while in the post itself the second word is on a new line (with a enter in between). It looks terrible and google also shows it like that now in the snipped. First i thought th8is had something to do with the3th party plugin i use but now i also see it on the default search result page. Is this a bug?

Expected result:

I would expect it shows a space in between.

EXAMPLE

Search result:

Original Post:

Source code of post.

• 5035 posts
    July 27, 2020 6:38 AM EDT

Hmmm. Do you have any third party plugins or customizations? Is that on desktop or something else? Please post according to the stickied guidelines to make bug testing faster. 

I tested at our demo and I see proper spacing on a macbook pro, using chrome latest. 

• 41 posts
    July 27, 2020 7:42 AM EDT

I do have 1 active external plugin witch is FAQs plugin form SocialEngineAddons.

But the problem is also on your demo site and in your search result (page). I tried it.

First i went to SocialEngineAddons, they cant help me with this problem. They don't understand the problem. Believe me, i tried over and over to explain it.

Then i found out its also in the core search result page. That's why i post it here now.

https://demo.socialengine.com/blogs/125/32/roger-shah-with-leon-bolier-eden

Just have a look at the search result when you search for that post.

PICTURES FROM YOUR DEMO SITE:

The key part is that you write some text and then enter to write text on a second line. So not 1 bit paragraph.

Problem shows up in Chrome and Edge and on desktop/mobile and on the google snippets because it just copies it.

Hope this helps.

This post was edited by Michael at July 27, 2020 7:43 AM EDT
    • 5035 posts
    July 27, 2020 7:51 AM EDT

Oh then this is due to tinymce I imagine. I hate how the paragraphs are not having a space unless we hit Enter twice. I will test though.

• 5035 posts
    July 27, 2020 8:06 AM EDT

I have tried to replicate the issue. The only time I can is if I copy and paste your entry. There is something wrong with how you are adding it. Please try actually typing it in and not copy/paste from any editor. Also, please make sure you are hitting Enter after the first line as every time I do, it makes another line even if I use a copy/paste of your example and then hit delete before the second line (to bring it up to the first) and then hit Enter. It then makes the space fine.

• 5035 posts
    July 27, 2020 8:10 AM EDT

Please note that you need to hit enter twice in order to have paragraph spacing. Hitting it once is a default spacing. If you are hitting shift+enter or something to jump to another line, that will not create a space.

• 41 posts
    July 27, 2020 8:38 AM EDT

Well, i just tried again on your demo and now it went fine. I don't know if there was a update to SE in between when i made that original post and now, that might have fixed some things.

Also on my site it's still a issue. I notice 1 difference now that i check for the 10th time. On here and on the demo when you enter it leaves a bit of space in between the lines. On my site it does not. This might be causing the issue. I think this is the tinymce SocialEngineAddons is using that is causing the problem after all?

Regarding the hitting of enter twice. That's not the problem i think because in the source i can see it creates a "< br >" in the correct way.

• 41 posts
    July 27, 2020 8:41 AM EDT

Hmm wait, is br a enter ore is /p a enter. I saved the post and just saw this differece

MY SITE

SE DEMO SITE

This post was edited by Michael at July 27, 2020 8:43 AM EDT
    • 5035 posts
    July 27, 2020 9:54 AM EDT

I'll move this to third party section as the editor you show is not default. I am not sure what is causing the issue but the demo has not been updated as your post is still there and when we update the demo, it deletes all other content and reseeds with our seeder content.

• 41 posts
    July 27, 2020 10:25 AM EDT

Thanks, i forwarded the link to the company.

I'm giving up on this because i don't have faith they can fix this.

• 5035 posts
    July 27, 2020 10:28 AM EDT

Well don't give up. I think the devs are all trying to improve. I know SE is trying to improve too. So, I believe they will all play follow the leader and improve too.

• 294 posts
    July 28, 2020 3:46 AM EDT

Hi Michael

I have requested the team to do the needful here, I will let you know here once I get an update from the team. 

Thanks!

• 294 posts
    July 29, 2020 5:58 AM EDT

Hi Michael

The changes as per your requirement have been made in the search page layout, please recheck once.

Thanks!

• 41 posts
    July 29, 2020 6:35 AM EDT

Hi SocialApps.

Your solution to the problem as stated in this post is:

I see you fixed it in the general SE search result page with a new layout. Just expanded mode. Yes, like this you can see the problem no-more.. but if the problem is really gone, i don't think so. The code is still the same and it's just a layout solution.

Just check your own widget, browse result page in expand/hide mode.

I suggest we dont communicate here. I only gave this reply because you stated you fixed it and i wanted to share how you fixed it.

• 294 posts
    July 29, 2020 7:06 AM EDT

Hi Michael

Replied to the support ticket for details. 

Thanks!