TinyMCE adds   instead of a space

• 43 posts
    July 27, 2020 2:57 AM EDT

So in TinyMCE i continues see the following (bug?). See example below.

I add/write a part of the text in the editor. Then i do a space and copy/paste in the part between "()".

When i look at the source code its automatically adds "& nbsp;" instead of a normal space between the last letter and the "(".

I would expect a normal space (in the source code).

This is a big issue for mobile because the result is that it can show less content on 1 mobile screen.

I have been reading a lot on other pages that this is a issue for a long time. I see a lot of different solutions but they all include me to adjust/add the core script of TinyMCE. I could do this but i will have a problem when i update SE.

EXAMPLE

Normal line as users see it in the post:

Tempo Giusto- Blacksmith (Mark Sherry Remix)

Code for this line

Tempo Giusto- Blacksmith & nbsp;(Mark Sherry Remix)

You can try it yourself because it is also happening in this forum editor.

Question:

Do others also have this and how did you fix this. Can SE look at this and fix it in the core? Or did SE already check this. I could not find anything here.

PS i had to put a space in between the "& nbsp;" code because it would not let me save/show it here. I could not fix this in the tittle. Sorry.

This post was edited by Michael at July 27, 2020 3:03 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 27, 2020 5:07 AM EDT

I have been reading a lot on other pages that this is a issue for a long time. I see a lot of different solutions but they all include me to adjust/add the core script of TinyMCE.

Are you saying this is a bug in TinyMCE? If so, they have to fix it.

I also am not clear on the steps to reproduce this but will try to test it. However, we don't fix bugs in vendor products as we also need to wait for a fix for those bugs if you are saying it is a tinymce bug.

• 43 posts
    July 27, 2020 5:53 AM EDT

I don't know where the original bug lies. I'm not a tech knowledge guy. I just see that this has been a problem for many users of TinyMCE for a long time.

I also don't know if they have a fix for this. This is why i ask here if others have had this same issue. To gather more info.

If you are never looking on a mobile phone to your site you probably never noticed this problem. It might still be there but the desktop screen is to big to show it.

You can search google for "tinymce  & nbsp;" and you will very quickly see the problem and solutions people offer.

Reproduce steps you can do in this forum:

1 - Open a new post in this forum.

2 - Just type the word "Original" and put a space behind it.

3 - Go in another tab to google and type in anything you like to search.

4 - From the search result copy something from the snipped. Just some words, does not matter what it is.

5 - Go back to the post and paste the words after the space you had created.

6 - Now look in the source code and see the "& nbsp;" added.

This post was edited by Michael at July 27, 2020 5:57 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 27, 2020 6:28 AM EDT

Please follow this github issue as it is an issue with tinymce. We will have to update tinymce if they ever fix the issue.

• 6923 posts
    July 27, 2020 6:31 AM EDT

I noticed that they hadn't marked it a bug yet even though it was submitted in 2017. So, I commented on their bug report and tagged one of their devs. Hopefully, they will give it some attention.

• 43 posts
    July 27, 2020 7:04 AM EDT
    Ok thank you.
    • 6923 posts
    July 27, 2020 7:21 AM EDT

We could also look for a better editor.

• 43 posts
    July 27, 2020 7:44 AM EDT

Is that a small hint for version 6? hahaha. Yes you can.

• 6923 posts
    July 27, 2020 7:48 AM EDT
    Michael said:

Is that a small hint for version 6? hahaha. Yes you can.

LOL yeah. We have it in development now. There are two editors that look great if we change. There've been issues with TinyMCE in many platforms. 

Have a look and test of these two (Quill we use on Unite) and see what you think:

Summernote

Quill