Forums » SEPHP Help and Tips

Upgrade?

    • 12 posts
    September 13, 2020 6:58 AM EDT

    I had a third party upgrade my site to v5.0.

    I don't have a version 5 in my downloads section.

    If I reinstall (TP still hasn't fixed some issues) do I have to pay for V5 again?

     

    Thanks,

    J

    • Moderator
    • 5236 posts
    September 13, 2020 1:51 PM EDT

    If you don't have v5 in your download section, the dev should not have upgraded you in the first place as your site wouldn't qualify. Please do purchase the v5 access or please get with the expert to downgrade the site. Which expert did this? We will get with them too in order to ensure they don't do this again as some clients might want to wait for upgrades in order to have the money to pay for access.

    • 12 posts
    September 16, 2020 4:43 AM EDT

    Hi Donna,

    • I didn't realise v5.0 was a paid upgrade.
    • I requested the upgrade service from a third party dev.They have upgraded to v5.0 but did not mention the new purchase requirements.
    • The template and some things that they have done on the site has been a challenge to work around.
    • I wanted to reinstall from scratch. I've had this site for a while but had no time to set it up and set it live. Hence the question.
    • I have spoken to the TP dev this morning. They appear to be a tad confused. I'm on my third operator. It's been 10 minutes waiting for them and this third person hasn't replied yet.
    • SE third parties are difficult to deal with.
    • I'm just going to put it down to experience and write off the money I paid them for the upgrade.

     

    I've had too many issues/learning experiences and I want NO partial upgrades or the like.

    For the install, I'd like the existing install deleted and a new db set up for it.

    I'll purchase the upgrade and ask for an install from yourselves.

    What do you need from me for a fresh install of v5.0 (FTP details?) and I'll go ahead with the purchase?

    Many thanks,

    John.

     


    This post was edited by John at September 16, 2020 5:01 AM EDT
    • Moderator
    • 5236 posts
    September 16, 2020 6:05 AM EDT

    Hi John,

     

    Sorry to hear about your experience. Perhaps they will refund the upgrade fee. Once you have v5 access, you can purchase the installation for a fresh install for $30 from within your account or, if you want to use our recommended host who has cloud VPS set up specifically for SEPHP, they offer free install and have some discounts running. Otherwise, if you do want us to install on your server once you purchase the upgrade access and install service, please open a ticket and send us the cpanel and FTP details. Your host will need to be set up per our requirements and ensure they don't have PHP 7.3 or above and also that they are not using Mariadb or FastCGI as those aren't supported. Here's a link to our requirements in case you choose to stick with your current host. 

     

    If you'll send me the name of the dev in my PM, I'll get with them as well to ensure they know the proper procedures for upgrading and installing. Hoping to avoid this issue in the future.

    • 12 posts
    September 16, 2020 8:23 AM EDT

    Thanks Donna,

    My host TMD don't have fast cgi, php can be upgraded from current 5.6 to 7.2 and mySQL dbs are available but I noticed Mariadb in myPHP.

    I'll contact them about MariaDB and ask.

    The recommended host looks like some time would be required to work out how to set up and determine costs for upscaling.

     

    • Moderator
    • 5236 posts
    September 16, 2020 9:38 AM EDT

    BryZar offers high availability hosting and has experience with large and small sites. Just as a note, which we posted in our blog, I own half of BryZar with a partner. :) He's got experience with million member sites as well and has been in the business for over 10 years. In case that helps.

    However, if you want to stay with TMD that is also fine. Just make sure they get you back to Mysqli and away from Mariadb. Otherwise, you will need tweaks for the site to work properly. 

    • 12 posts
    September 16, 2020 10:31 AM EDT

    Donna,

    The ability to upscale wasn't the issue. I'm sure that would be fine ...I'm not expecting thousands never mind milions.

    When I set up an account I wasn't familiar with how it works in terms of other hosting I have.

    So if I choose a package at what point do I have to move to the next package is what I want to try to work out in terms of data posted to the site rather than in terms of a number of users.

    Also moving the domain or nameserver changes.

    I'll take a look and try to familiarise my self with it.

    Thanks

    J


    This post was edited by John at September 16, 2020 10:31 AM EDT
    • Moderator
    • 5236 posts
    September 16, 2020 1:02 PM EDT

    If you'll send a ticket to BryZar with any questions, my partner can help with answers. He's the hosting guru lol. But again, if you want to stay at TMD, that is fine too.