We want to stop new users from choosing profile

• 33 posts
    September 13, 2020 6:42 PM EDT

Donna & Team,

We are about to invite a community of about 1,500 new users onto our SE platform politea.us from Facebook.

Before I invite them, I'd like to fix one big problem we have. New users are getting prompted to choose a profile type.

We only have 2 profile types, Default/Regular and Moderator, but I'd like to be able to keep more than one profile type and not allow users to choose the one they have. It should just be Default unless an admin overrides it.

I have looked high and low for a setting for this in the admin panel signup process etc., but can't seem to find it. I may have just overlooked this setting.

Is there a setting to not allow new users who are creating new accounts to choose their profile? I don't haven't seen this "profile choice" option come up on other SE installations - or do we just have to only have 1 profile type, i.e. Default?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• 6923 posts
    September 14, 2020 6:06 AM EDT

Yeah I wanted to disable it here too but it isn't possible yet as it's meant as a way to have specific profile questions for users. It should have been connected to member levels rather than being a separate setting. We have plans to vastly improve profile types, profile questions and member levels. At this time though, we are stuck like this when we use profile types.

The only way atm is creating free (or paid) subscriptions and having it on sign up for them to choose a subscription with a default one set too. I tried this again on staging and if I map each profile type to a member level and enable the Free gateway, then create a plan for each member level, it works so they don't select a type.

BTW, if you don't need that profile type for moderator, since there is already a default member level for that, you could remove that profile type and there then wouldn't be an option to choose profile type.

• 33 posts
    September 28, 2020 8:09 PM EDT

OK - thanks.  I will try and delete the Moderator profile type.  We may want to collect more information for Moderators at some point - extra validation, etc., but that may be a while.

• 33 posts
    September 28, 2020 8:26 PM EDT

Donna and Team,

OK - I deleted the Moderator profile, but when I try and crate a new user the system still prompts me for a profile choice. I am fairly certain that I cleared out browser cache and history, so I am puzzled that a new user would be prompted for a profile that doesn't exist.

Best,
    Bernard

• 6923 posts
    September 29, 2020 6:53 AM EDT

Do you have subscriptions active? 

• 33 posts
    September 30, 2020 5:04 PM EDT

I think we have a $5/month one set up, but not a free subscription.

I think I remember you saying that one way to fix this is to set up a free subscription - correct?

• 33 posts
    September 30, 2020 5:30 PM EDT

I can't seem to find where to delete the Moderator profile. I thought it was gone, but it keeps showing up.

Any help on this would be appreciated. I thought profiles were managed in the member type area, but I don't see a way to delete or create a new profile type.

• 6923 posts
    October 1, 2020 5:25 AM EDT

Profile types are in the tutorial for Profile Questions. If you map the profile types to the member levels as I had tried above, it does work but you then need to have the other profile type for a free account. Such as mapping the Registered type to your default free member level but be careful with that if your admin user or staff are in the Registered type you will all be kicked down to that member level. I suggest experimenting on your development site. If you don't have a development site, you need one. Set it up in a subdomain named development and have it password protected so that only those with a password can access that subdomain.