Mute Members as needed by Admin/Moderator

• AOT
    • 7 posts
    September 22, 2020 1:07 PM EDT

As a SE site gains popularity, so does the need to mute (vice ban or delete) members for malicious content.

Description:

When a members' post, comment, etc is not within the guidelines of acceptable community standards, instead of deleting that member, they could be penalized for a select time period. A muting function (as administered by an admin or moderator) would allow said member to view posts and other areas as normal, however, their ability to post, react, comment, reply (or other form of engagement) is restricted.

Feature Request:

The request is to add the option for admins/moderators to mute members for select time periods.

If unable to allow the time period field to be open for single or double digit input (ie: 3 days, 7 days, 30 days), then a hard coded (radio button perhaps) time period would work.

Benefits:

The benefits include the ability to maintain an environment as desired by the community, as well as to assist in the reduction of malicious content and other member abuse (bullying, etc).

• 6923 posts
    September 22, 2020 2:04 PM EDT

Please provide more info on how this would work for a moderator who has no admin panel access. When making feature requests, please try to provide as detailed info as you can for various scenarios.

1. Would the moderator "flag" a user for ban? This flagged member would show in admin for the admin to then determine whether the user gets banned or not. 

2. That begs the question, would there be an input box for the moderator to explain why this member is flagged? I would assume the moderator would attach screenshots with this.

3. Would the flagged member be on a temporary "hold" status with no posting until an admin determines whether this member is banned or not?

4. Would a moderator be able to ban the user themselves if number 1 is a "no"? 

5. Does the member get a notice of this in their inbox and email? If so, what does that notice include?

6. Can the member submit a request to unban to the admin?

• 78 posts
    September 22, 2020 2:26 PM EDT
    This feature is beneficial for my SE as well. Maybe this can be added into member level settings. Say if the level is moderator, admin can pick the option if they allowed to ban a member. When the banned member is logged in, when will be presented with a message as to why she or she was banned and until when the ban will be lifted. To make it simple, banned members are not allowed to do anything on the site
    • 6923 posts
    September 23, 2020 4:38 AM EDT

I still need the questions I asked answered before we can consider it.Thank you for your feedback though. 

• AOT
    • 7 posts
    September 23, 2020 10:39 AM EDT

1. Would the moderator "flag" a user for ban? This flagged member would show in admin for the admin to then determine whether the user gets banned or not.

1A. To me, a "Moderator" is equally empowered as an "Admin" to administer *daily tasks* as needed. Its my thought that a proper and popular SE site should have adequate staffing to support it.

With that being said, "members" are currently able to "report" posts.
    When an Admin or Moderator views "abuse reports", "member" reported content is visible and action is available.

Its within that area that reported content is reviewed by the staff (Admins and Moderators) and actions are carried out. See image.

2. That begs the question, would there be an input box for the moderator to explain why this member is flagged? I would assume the moderator would attach screenshots with this.

2A. If a member requires "muting", no explanation by staff is necessary. As this action is only allowed by trusted Moderators and Admins, there is no further justification needed.

Retaining of the abuse reports log is sufficient.

3. Would the flagged member be on a temporary "hold" status with no posting until an admin determines whether this member is banned or not?

3A. The current function in terms of the offended user is great. They "report post" and that post is hidden from them.

3B. The reported member would be allowed full functionality during the "review phase". Meaning they are not on a temporary hold. The reported content may turn out to be fraudulent and the like, hence no reason to penalize the reported member for nothing (at this point).

4. Would a moderator be able to ban the user themselves if number 1 is a "no"?

4A. Yes.

5. Does the member get a notice of this in their inbox and email? If so, what does that notice include?

5A. A muted member will realize that their functionality is limited on their own.
    The desired functionality of muting only restricts their ability to post, comment, react, and the like, however, they may still use the site.

If a muted member is "confused" as to why they are muted, they will contact the staff directly.

6. Can the member submit a request to unban to the admin?

6A. If a muted member is "confused" as to why they are muted, they will contact the staff directly.

Thank you!

• 6923 posts
    September 23, 2020 10:43 AM EDT

Since Moderator only has front end access, then this requires the ability to ban from front end which may be trickier than the other options. We will have to look at that. Admin and Super admin have admin panel access to do more powerful things. Moderators have no admin access.

Thank you for providing the info and screenshot. It is very helpful.

• 6923 posts
    September 23, 2020 10:46 AM EDT

I guess we need to explain the difference.

1. Super Admin is the site super power will full access to everything.

2. Admin is the site administrator for normal every day stuff. Has access to admin but not everything in admin.

3. Moderator is intended to be a front end only semi-staff person who helps with moderating a forum for example. They have no admin access at all.

• AOT
    • 7 posts
    September 23, 2020 10:53 AM EDT

Thank you. I did not realize that Moderators were limited this way. However, appointing moderators to "Admins" is easy enough :-)

• 6923 posts
    September 24, 2020 5:15 AM EDT

Yes it's very easy and that is how the bigger sites do it. You promote based on trust, activity, etc. This is why it's great to have the Moderator looking over the front and when you feel they earned trust to have back end access, you can promote them. 

• AOT
    • 7 posts
    September 24, 2020 7:43 AM EDT

Definitely :-) My reference for all of this is very active and large Facebook Group (60K+ members with activity every second of the day and night). As "Moderators" there, we have "Admin" powers (ability to mute members, block, delete, add new members, decline new member applications, etc as needed). Im learning how you guys (SE) do things and your terminology. I've learned a ton from you so far! Thank you!

• 6923 posts
    September 24, 2020 7:46 AM EDT

It's been a pleasure! I can't wait for us to have "reactions" here such as thumbs up/ thank you, etc as I miss having that feature in the forum (makes it so cold). Anyway thank you!