Community

Forums » Feature Requests to Experts

Which 3rd party Developer is willing to touch CORE SE!

• 77 posts
    September 19, 2017 5:54 PM EDT

Which 3rd party Developer here is willing to touch CORE SE!

This serves a purpose as Ive reached out to so many! And no one will touch core, I just want it said publically because Ive wasted alot of time trying to find someone as im sure others have and also for SE to say if need feature request (core related) please contact 3rd party devs.

This isnt me being annoyed but I just want to have this constant loop closed.

I have my fave devs for custom plugins, and plugins, and others for other plugins.

If we can once and for all have devs say they wont touch core, then we know SE is the only team to direct such FR too once and for all 

And im will to pay SE for said such core related requests!

This post was edited by Daniel at September 19, 2017 6:04 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 264 posts
    September 19, 2017 7:20 PM EDT

I've stated it here and in previous community - I'm willing to pay toward some SE ADMINcp related FRs.  This is why I asked if SE would develop an Advanced ADMINcp Plugin to get paid for it just like they now sell a Theme.  There are many options for themes, photos, videos, blogs, chat, etc., but what I need is for someone (preferably SE) to develop some of the ADMINcp related FRs.  SE often states to contact 3PD because they are either not interested or too busy with other things.  Yet, which 3PD is/are willing to do such development?  I personally would prefer ADMINcp-type FRs to not modify Core wherever possible and be developed by SE.

Thanks for posting topic to maybe see who (3PD) is interested or if SE will step up soon.  Hopefully other ADMINs will chime in to see if there's much interest or if only a handfull of us need this stuff and are willing to pay for it.

• 77 posts
    September 19, 2017 7:37 PM EDT

Oh I'm willing to pay believe me!

Im even happy to contribute framework and mockups ha

• 77 posts
    September 22, 2017 3:36 PM EDT

Nope?????

• September 25, 2017 7:19 AM EDT

@Daniel and @gs: We would glad to work on the FR for the changes in core SE, but the major problems with such custom work comes when clients have to upgrade SE. They do not want any work which should be redone when SE is upgraded.

And, that can happen only if SE would include those features into their script.

If you need to discuss about any work with our team, then please contact our support team at: support@socialenginesolutions.com

• 77 posts
    September 27, 2017 4:15 PM EDT

This is why @socialenginesolutions are my goto people.

Appreciate the words here SES, Its great to get that honest feedback on a situation.

Its either keep asking SE to implement vital features needed to core.

• September 28, 2017 2:23 AM EDT
    Daniel said:

This is why @socialenginesolutions are my goto people.

Appreciate the words here SES, Its great to get that honest feedback on a situation.

Its either keep asking SE to implement vital features needed to core.

Thanks for your appreciation, support and trust in us @Daniel .

• gs
    • 264 posts
    September 28, 2017 3:42 PM EDT

So, what do we do if 3PDs won't touch core (and I can see why) and SE won't do it either (i.e. many open FRs that who knows if/when they'll ever be touched), what do we do?  Suggestions anyone?

I've made a list of about 9-10 FRs, some of which could be handled outside of ADMINcp (but interface with SE data, and not disturb ADMINcp), but most of my list may require direct editing of Core (and I don't mean a line here or there, as that I don't mind - in fact I'm doing that now so I can control where the User goes after Logout, which happens to be one of my FRs).

• 77 posts
    October 4, 2017 9:48 AM EDT

@GS I understand why 3PD's wont touch core which is great to officially hear a reason why!

So we have an answer to our question, So SE can no longer say "speak to 3PDs regards to request"
    Great for a plugin, module thats not core.

But for core we have our answer that it really relies back on SE.

So that leaves anything core MUST be handled by SE and for feature requests to be taken seriously now!!

• gs
    • 264 posts
    October 4, 2017 10:22 AM EDT
    Yes, or it means other 3PDs simply didn't respond. Either way, SE should primarily be the Dev modifying their own code and support it. I simply don't know what to do - 3PDs won't touch it and SE seems to have little desire implementing many of the FRs - even if they were paid to do so. I suggested a separate adv ADMINcp to remove the 2 arguments of affecting performance for everyone (since it's an optional mod) and no resources (because some ADMINs are willing to pay).
    • 681 posts
    October 4, 2017 10:28 AM EDT

We will be implementing feature requests. We first need flash removed (4.10 ) and can then move on from that. We can't implement every feature request though. Perhaps we need more hooks for third party experts. In that case, experts should use the expert coding section to request hooks so that plugins can be made to use hooks and won't modify source files. 

• gs
    • 264 posts
    October 4, 2017 10:37 AM EDT
    For FRs SE refuses to address, is it possible to implement the hooks anyway and inform us here they exist so that we may then contact our prefered 3PD to develop?
    • 681 posts
    October 4, 2017 10:42 AM EDT

You could put a fr for a hook that you need in a particular area but mainly, the experts would know where they need the hook and what hook they need. I'll ask about adding hooks but if you could go to a fr you want and get my attention on that one, maybe I can give more details for a core developer to know if a hook is possible for that. Normally, they like more details about where to add hooks though. 

• gs
    • 264 posts
    October 4, 2017 1:39 PM EDT

Thanks Donna.  I was thinking that's why this is between SE and 3PDs because SE/3PDs know best where a hook is needed.  I was just trying to expedite things because my guess is that a hook requires SE to change core, which then due to other things SE is working on, may take several months to eventually get around to.  Plus this requires me to bother a Dev to estimate about a dozen FRs (which I won't do because that's unfair to a Dev, but maybe I will do what I've done before and pay for a few hours of estimating), then they have to discuss with SE then get back to me, then get back to SE to request that the hook is included someday, then we all wait for SE to include the hook, then finally the Dev can work on the FR.  Phew - I'm tired already :)

I think I'll be patient one more time for after 4.10 is released to see what SE addresses and doesn't address in the FRs before I ask a Dev to estimate a slew of FRs.  What would be helpful is if SE would at least go through all the FRs and let us know what they will do (and approx when) and what they won't do (preferably with a reason why not which may help guide the discussion with 3PDs).  I don't want to waste the time of a Dev to estimate something that SE will be implementing shortly.  I'd also like to know if SE would consider ADMIN(s) funding an FR.  Many FRs are over a year old (i.e. originally at github then reposted here) and were not addressed after 4.09.03 was released, so it would be very helpful to know once and for all where SE stands on each FR so we ADMINs may make educated/informed decisions instead of hoping hoping hoping :)

And hopefully SE will keep in mind that some FRs (such as removal of Flash) really shouldn't be considered an FR as it's something the product must have due to the way the industry is moving.  The removal of Flash is critical to the future survival of SE as a product, because not removing/replacing it will render the script useless to many (all?) users.  I only mention this because sometimes I feel the major things SE does 'for us ADMINs' (PHP 7.* compatibility, Flash, etc.) really aren't for us - they're for the survival of the script.  And although some of these things benefit us ADMINs, the time developing these things gets in the way of addressing the growing list of FRs.

This post was edited by gs at October 4, 2017 1:48 PM EDT
    • 77 posts
    October 4, 2017 1:48 PM EDT

Nicely put @GS

Maybe in the Social Engine PHP Discussions, another section could be made by the admins here called "Accepted feature requests"

To which SE but assuming Donna, could move the raised feature request from SEPHP feature Requests and to SEPHP Accepted feature request.

That way we would have some idea and know its been talked about an accepted and like @GS mentioned saves time.

• gs
    • 264 posts
    October 4, 2017 1:53 PM EDT

==>"Maybe in the Social Engine PHP Discussions, another section could be made by the admins here called "Accepted feature requests"

That's a good idea.  I believe Donna mentioned for now they were going to include different words in the Post Title to represent the status.  I can't find that post right now (since search doesn't work here) and I'm simply not going to keep reading through pages and pages of posts to find it.  I'm tired of justifying spending portions of an hour reading things because a basic search function simply doesn't work.  That's what software is for :)

• 77 posts
    October 4, 2017 2:16 PM EDT

Yea, I think a dedicated section for accepted feature requests would be better, as they can be found easily.

Plus gets us excited as its been accepted.
    I really do feel for Donna at times, having to deal with us lmol

• 77 posts
    October 4, 2017 2:24 PM EDT

found the page https://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/3/submitting-feature-requests

this
    is what you were refering to @GS

This post was edited by Daniel at October 4, 2017 2:25 PM EDT
  • gs
    • 264 posts
    October 4, 2017 2:42 PM EDT

Hey @Daniel - thanks.  Yep - that's it.  I knew I read it somewhere. 

I see pros/cons to using separate Forums based on the status of the FR.  Some of this though may be forced by the way this Forum works in comparison to github.  Looking at different Forums to find things gets time consuming, especially if you know where something 'is' but now it's not and you don't know where it went.  Much easier to simply select FRs and then filter based on Status (which we can't do here) :(

• 77 posts
    October 4, 2017 2:45 PM EDT

I getcha, but id rather they spent time on SE Core than addressing this forum for features lol

But I think a section saying Accepted feature requests would be easier for those who dont know what [A] or [R] means lol

• gs
    • 264 posts
    October 4, 2017 2:52 PM EDT

==>"I getcha, but id rather they spent time on SE Core than addressing this forum for features lol"

haha - I want both wah-wah-wah :)

The more content that gets added here, the more difficult it is to find things.  I miss github.  I realize this is a different tool/app than github, but I could easily locate whatever I wanted there.  For example, there's no easy way to see all recent posts (all, not just the few in the widget).  I used to use the sort options at github which were great.  I guess I don't expect a Forum to have all the functionality of github, but if a business decides to replace github with something, then yes - it should be a good replacement, not a step backwards.

==>"But I think a section saying Accepted feature requests would be easier for those who dont know what [A] or [R] means lol"

This is why I mentioned pros/cons.  I see the benefit to this.  But a separate status code (like github had) is much better.  I'll be doing this customization to SEAO's Forum because I require it.  Their Feedback provides this Status Color/Code but their Forum doesn't so I'm sortof adding what I need from Feedback into their Forum Plugin. 

• 681 posts
    October 10, 2017 10:35 AM EDT
    gs said:

==>"I getcha, but id rather they spent time on SE Core than addressing this forum for features lol"

haha - I want both wah-wah-wah :)

The more content that gets added here, the more difficult it is to find things.  I miss github.  I realize this is a different tool/app than github, but I could easily locate whatever I wanted there.  For example, there's no easy way to see all recent posts (all, not just the few in the widget).  I used to use the sort options at github which were great.  I guess I don't expect a Forum to have all the functionality of github, but if a business decides to replace github with something, then yes - it should be a good replacement, not a step backwards.

Recent posts can be seen in the menu "Forum Activity" which had been requested a few months ago and added then. :) It shows more recent posts and threads than the block.

• gs
    • 264 posts
    October 10, 2017 3:29 PM EDT

==>"Recent posts can be seen in the menu "Forum Activity" which had been requested a few months ago and added then. :) It shows more recent posts and threads than the block."

Thanks Donna - that's helpful.  At least it's the most recent 20 instead of 5, so a move in the right direction :)