Performance and Cashing

• 11 posts
    September 25, 2017 1:50 PM EDT

After the upgrade to 4.9.4 I was surfing around my admin panel to make sure everything was working fine but I did find one problem when I click on the performance and cashing in the settings menu  it takes me to a page that says this 

"This page isn’t working

www.aftertheblacktopends.com is currently unable to handle this request."

is this a known problem with the new version if so is there a fix for it 

Thank you for any help that anyone can give me

• 6923 posts
    September 28, 2017 7:12 AM EDT

This would be an issue for your site as it's working here, on my live author site, on my live demo (for my products), and on the SE demo. You would want to check our server requirements as things did change and do from time to time. 

• 11 posts
    September 28, 2017 11:31 AM EDT

Thank you for your reply Donna I have checked my Requirement and Dependency Check and all is good could my .htaccess file have anything to do with this problem? I have also transfered my site to a new server. 

Regards

Brent

This post was edited by Brent B at September 28, 2017 11:33 AM EDT
  • gs
    • 857 posts
    September 28, 2017 3:58 PM EDT

Hi Brent: Who performed the upgrade - your host?  I only ask because typically a managed host that supports SE should be available to help too, and if they installed the upgrade, they should be (somewhat) responsible to fix things, or restore the system to its previously functional state.  Plus, some hosts (I use FastComet for example) strongly urge me against upgrading a folder unless I'm 100% sure that's what I want to do (they typically recommend using a clone if/when possible) and if I verify that I want an in-place upgrade then they perform additional backups that I may restore if there's issues.  I feel your pain though as in-place upgrades are difficult due to trying to minimize the down time for Users, yet provide enought testing time for ADMIN to determine if/when to go back to Production.

• 11 posts
    September 28, 2017 10:10 PM EDT

Thanks gs for your recombinations I just moved to Hostiso because they do support Social-engine I'm very much a novice at Social-engine. I have owned sites that we used vBulletin but I wanted more of a interactive site fro our members so this has been a good learning curve for me. SocialEngineAddOns did the initial upgrade. When I asked them they said it was a socialengine problem so before bothered them I thought I would do some research first.

Everything has goon well so far 

Thanks 

Brent

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 28, 2017 10:52 PM EDT

You're in a pickle

I'm sure SE can help, but prolly not for free as they didn't perform the upgrade nor is SE responsible for any potential hostiso VPS/Server issue.  I'm surprised that SEAO didn't resolve this as they're a good Dev and if paid they have always come through for me.  

Are you able to restore from backup or is there too much new data that you don't want to lose?  

You may want to contact SE support directly to get the fastest response.

• 11 posts
    September 29, 2017 12:11 AM EDT

HAHA!! gs thanks for being honest yes I'm in a pickle all right I do not mind paying someone to help me out and yes I do have a monthly subscription with SEAO and I have wondered that myself but there is no Support for SocialEngine PHP Core and it's standard Plugins with the basic subscription plan I would have too upgrade my plan to the plus plan witch would be more that paying SE 50 bucks. 

Thanks for your help I will get this resolved

Regards

Brent

• 6923 posts
    September 29, 2017 6:35 AM EDT

Might be good to send us a ticket if you have support. Check your error logs too as those can give a clue as to what's happening. Could be a cache method was set but not set up on the server such as APCu.

• 11 posts
    September 30, 2017 2:21 PM EDT

I want to thank all of you for your help in this matter. I did what you all suggested and found some issues with the my site and with the host provider. "Hostiso"once I talked with them they took it upon them selves to fix the issues and even upgraded my site to PHP 7.1 that also inherently fixed some other issues I didn't event know existed. One of the main reasons I moved my site was to find a Host provider that has a good grasp and supports Socialengine and it has so far paid off. I just wanted to tell you guys that my issue is fixed and running soothly.

Best regards to you all

Brent 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 30, 2017 2:58 PM EDT

@Brent: Congratulations! Glad it worked out and Hostiso stepped up to fix.  Just in case you're not already doing this yourself (i.e. in addition to whatever the host provides), backup backup backup (this rings in my head like a chicken squawking).  This is one of the reasons I didn't go with Hostiso because the backup app (JetBackup) I use requires cPanel and they informed me they won't offer cPanel/VPS plans.  This way I am in control of my backups - when, where, frequency, etc. 

And if you haven't included it in your upgrade procedures, you may want to consider always testing first using a clone (of SE site and database).  This way you can run your Prod site parallel to the Dev site until you're confident of the results (whether it takes you hours/days/weeks).  The point is, had Hostiso recommended this, you would have found this problem with the cloned site which wouldn't have interfered with your Prod site.  I typically use this procedure, then note any 'fixes' that were performed to fix any issues.  Then when it's time for the real upgrade, I backup everything 2x (different locations - neither at the host I use for SE), and ask FastComet to backup everything for themselves (separate from their normal backup routine), then upgrade the live site referencing the ticket used for the clone so anything they did in that ticket can be redone in the live site. 

So although any upgrade may introduce issues, at least any that were introduced during testing are noted, resolved and I can retest in the live site to at least be sure those issues don't appear.  No plan is perfect of course, so any suggestions by others is welcomed

• 11 posts
    September 30, 2017 3:53 PM EDT

Thank you, gs, for all the suggestions and explaining things to me I find it very valuable. I do backups a lot lol I'm my first worst enemy lol.

To be far in my opinion a lot went on during the upgrade and moving of the site from one host to another, I think both where preformed at the same time from socialengineaddons upgrading the site and Hostiso moving the site to there servers. So a lot of data was created and in that time there was backups preformed and I don't know when the issue started.

I see your point in using a clone and this would probably have saved a lot of time and frustration for all involved. To be honest I would not know where the first place to start in setting a clone up gs. That is something I would seriously consider, I will look into that for sure. Any help or suggestion on where to start would be appreciated gs. 

As for having root asses for me right now with my lack of experience, having everything open to me would be dangerous lol so I need a babysitter lol as I have mentioned in a past post, I'm a novice at this right now I have been learning a lot and find I learn most from conversations like this one.

I also welcome suggestions it betters me to look after my site and investment. 

• gs
    • 857 posts
    September 30, 2017 4:18 PM EDT

==>"...To be honest I would not know where the first place to start in setting a clone up..."

Hostiso should be able to do this for you.  FastComet always does it for me.  Your license allows (SE, please correct me if I'm wrong) 2 installations: 1 publicly accessible (typically Production/Live) and one development.  These must be on the same domain, but a folder and/or sub-domain are allowed.  So, for example, your primary SE site could be at domain.com and your Dev site at domain.com/dev or dev.domain.com (dev = whatever you wish to name it), but you couldn't use domain1.com for Production and domain2.com for Dev.

The upgrade and move operations all around the same time is a risky proposition and someone (hostiso or SEAO) should have recommended a stepped approach, i.e. move the site and make sure everything is running properly before eliminating your prior host/site (this way, you could easily get the original backup just by changing DNS settings or whatever).  Then after a while when you feel comfortable, the upgrade could be performed at the new hostiso site.  You could probably just do the opposite as well - upgrade then transfer, but for me I prefer to transfer first (many reasons that I won't bore you with here).

==>"As for having root access for me right now with my lack of experience, having everything open to me would be dangerous lol so I need a babysitter lol as I have mentioned in a past post, I'm a novice at this right now I have been learning a lot and find I learn most from conversations like this one."

Me too - I'm still a novice after 2+ years of working with SE and 3PD software.  This is why I rely on a competent host.  I too am nervous about root access, but I required it in order to install and use JetBackup which for $4 a month is more than worth it.  I don't 'play around' with things - I just access WHM to get to JetBackup and make changes as needed.  I do spend more time in cPanel though in order to configure email and .ftp accounts and a few other items.  This way I'm able to do what I'm capable of, and rely on the host to do what I can't (and not bother them for lots of little things).  Plus, by having my own backups off site from the host I am not concerned about any issues at the host because I can simply get another host and ask them to restore from my backups.  Glad you're backing up a lot - better too often (I suppose there is such a thing) than not often enough. 

Anyway, the good news is you're all set.

This post was edited by gs at September 30, 2017 4:20 PM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    October 1, 2017 6:19 AM EDT

For me, I will never again use cpanel on my server. It hogs resources I want for my site and it can have its own bugs that can interfere with the site according to a hosting expert (who owns the hosting company I use and partner with for my managed website services). 

For a clone, definitely recommend it. Must be on the same domain. Mine is on a separate server but same domain. Closed for public access via a password protected folder set up. development.mysite.com or dev.mysite.com is allowed but other domains would break the license terms and could cause you issues with the new marketplace if you get certified plugins.

Another tip, don't put any other sites on your SE server. No other scripts such as Wordpress, etc. Your social site needs all the resources you can give it as social sites are dynamic and generate lots of content and activity. This isn't just an SE thing. It would be any social script you use (but SE is best)

• 11 posts
    October 1, 2017 11:20 AM EDT

Thank you Donna for your advice that is one thing I found hard to find out at first, what is the best (in your opinion) control panel and Hosting for SE?

How I looked for mine was what the Host provider offered and price point I did not know anything about Hostiso until I received an email while I was looking for my new host provider from SE or SEAO advertising Hostiso. I looked at it the price point was there I searched reviews that seemed to be all good and what they offered and supported seemed to be what I needed for my site. So far they have been proving there ratings to me witch is a good thing I don't want to have to move my site anytime soon lol.

• 6923 posts
    October 2, 2017 5:41 AM EDT

If you are happy with hostiso, stay where you like. I used several hosts in the past for a competing script that I worked for and used. (most SN scripts are the same in resource consumption, requirements, etc) and found my sites down all the time until moving to Cazaratech. My demo site (for the products I release under ScriptTechs) is on their hosting but using a very small server as it's just a demo. Works fine and fast. My live author site is using a bigger plan and is zipping fast.

I don't recommend a panel if you can FTP and use phpmyadmin. I had to learn SSH as I wanted to be able to use zip files to upload. I used to rely so much on cpanel before changing over to their hosting. Now, I can not see wasting resources just for a file manager (99% of clients mainly use the file manager and phpmyadmin). FTP can do everything file manager can in most cases. His hosting does have a file manager for those that have to have one though. It's lighter than cpanel without all the bugs. 

Best thing to do is evaluate what you actually need cpanel for. Do you really use ALL of those features in it? Do you just load files and use the DB? If so, you don't need a heavy panel.

BTW, when I started out in 2008, I didn't even know how to FTP.