Edit Profile Type

• 57 posts
    October 3, 2017 1:12 PM EDT

Hello everyone, 

on my se network I've three different profile type. 

How can I change the profile type of a member that in the sign-up process wrong profile type?

Thanks in advance!

• 6923 posts
    October 4, 2017 6:10 AM EDT

You cannot. This is an improvement listed for 4.10 though. Only other thing to do is either get one of the advanced member plugins or check the database tables (there are a few that go with profile type mapping) and try to change it there.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    October 4, 2017 10:33 AM EDT
    Glad to hear this is finally coming. In addition to someone selecting an incorrect PT, they may need to change it in the future for other reasons, including new PTs that may be more applicable. Ideally this should be both User and ADMIN editable, with a setting to allow/disallow User editing.
    • 57 posts
    October 5, 2017 4:27 AM EDT
    Donna said:

You cannot. This is an improvement listed for 4.10 though. Only other thing to do is either get one of the advanced member plugins or check the database tables (there are a few that go with profile type mapping) and try to change it there.

At this moment, infact, I change it on my db... but it's a long and boring procedure!

• 57 posts
    October 5, 2017 4:28 AM EDT
    gs said:
    Glad to hear this is finally coming. In addition to someone selecting an incorrect PT, they may need to change it in the future for other reasons, including new PTs that may be more applicable. Ideally this should be both User and ADMIN editable, with a setting to allow/disallow User editing.

I agree with you, I like "allow/disable"... 

• 6 posts
    February 18, 2018 3:20 PM EST
    Donna said:

Hi @Donna and @SE iBT,

Could you guys please point me the tables that I need to modify in order to switch a member's profile type? I've been looking for them for a long while and no success.

Thank you!

This post was edited by alvaro01 at February 18, 2018 3:24 PM EST
    • 6923 posts
    February 19, 2018 4:55 AM EST

Use 4.10. It has the feature I mentioned. I've already mapped my author site.Works great. The tutorial for member levels has more info.

• 6 posts
    February 19, 2018 9:26 AM EST

Hi @Donna, thank you for replying. I cannot upgrade to 4.10 because my site is highly customized on 4.8.13, and even if I would be able to do it, the new feature you are speaking about is to map the member's type to member's level (exactly as SEAO plugin) and not viceversa as I need to do. Specifically, I need to switch the profile type of a given member to another profile type, so I need to know what tables to modify please!

• 6923 posts
    February 19, 2018 9:32 AM EST

I do not know which tables as there are quite a few and since you have their plugin, you would need to do something related to that. It would be best to contact them. Please note that 4.9 had security updates and also works with php 7. Your version doesn't work with current PHP versions and leaves your site open to vulnerabilities in deprecated PHP versions. It would be best to upgrade.

• 6 posts
    February 19, 2018 9:36 AM EST

Ok I understand about the upgrade, will do it in the upcoming weeks since I need to do it manually and very carefully in order not to bother my site, but by now I need to do this change. How comes you don't know what tables showing a SE pic in your profile? Are you from SE devs team?

• 6923 posts
    February 19, 2018 9:45 AM EST

There is more than one place to change it and I am not in my database. You use a third party plugin which also modifies the database in order to have it the way they have it. You can see on my profile that I am with SE.I don't have a copy of 4.8.13 installed at this time either. 

• 6 posts
    February 19, 2018 10:13 AM EST

Donna, I see you have no much interest on helping me other than telling to upgrade or pay for a dev support, very sad.

• 6 posts
    February 19, 2018 10:14 AM EST
    SE iBT said:

At this moment, infact, I change it on my db... but it's a long and boring procedure!

SE iBT, please I need a hand on this, could you please help me?

• 6923 posts
    February 19, 2018 11:03 AM EST
    alvaro01 said:

Donna, I see you have no much interest on helping me other than telling to upgrade or pay for a dev support, very sad.

I don't have an answer. I work in the current version and I don't have an old version. Hopefully, the other client in this thread will help you. 

• 6 posts
    February 21, 2018 12:50 PM EST

Guys, I finally figured out what tables to modify to change the profile type of an existing user and performed it successfully, so if you end up on this thread looking for doing the same thing, just drop me an inbox.

• 57 posts
    March 18, 2018 8:25 AM EDT
    alvaro01 said:
    SE iBT said:

SE iBT, please I need a hand on this, could you please help me?

I'm so sorry, I read just now your message!

• 378 posts
    July 2, 2018 3:01 PM EDT

I am a bit confused - is there a way to move a single members to a different profile type in v4.10x - if so how?

• 6923 posts
    July 2, 2018 4:22 PM EDT
    alvaro01 said:

Guys, I finally figured out what tables to modify to change the profile type of an existing user and performed it successfully, so if you end up on this thread looking for doing the same thing, just drop me an inbox.

Please share your tips here. It is for the benefit of all. 

• 6923 posts
    July 2, 2018 4:23 PM EDT
    SE iBT said:
    Donna said:

Would you also post your fix for the other clients looking?

• 57 posts
    October 5, 2018 10:16 AM EDT
    Donna said:
    SE iBT said:
    Donna said:

Would you also post your fix for the other clients looking?

Sure, I checked the database tables and I changed it!