Username on Member profile page

• 106 posts
    October 12, 2017 6:50 AM EDT

Hello,

I would like to display the username on member profile page, but I don't see how to do this in layout editor, so I hope I could have your help about this detail.

• 6923 posts
    October 12, 2017 8:45 AM EDT

It shows on the member's profile above the feed. Or are you looking to show the actual username instead of displayed name? 

• 106 posts
    October 12, 2017 11:46 AM EDT

Sorry I don't understand you, I would like to display the member's username when we are visiting his profile member page, at the left under the avatar, on this page for exemple: https://www.netyzz.com/profile/NintendoSwitchFan

• 6923 posts
    October 12, 2017 12:06 PM EDT

Ok it does display above the feed but it is the Displayname. Go to your site and look in the member manager. Each user has a "username" and a "displayname." The Displayname is what shows on the site. The username is normally a private thing that most sites don't show. 

Your theme is not standard and so it doesn't show the Displayname above the feed like a default one does. Look here above the feed https://demo.socialengine.com/profile/adam you can see his name Adam Nowak above the feed in the center. 

Since you have a custom theme, you may want to ask the theme developer to add it.

• 106 posts
    October 12, 2017 5:25 PM EDT

Ok thank you for these explanations.

See you soon

• 6923 posts
    October 13, 2017 6:34 AM EDT

You're welcome. I hope it helped.

• 57 posts
    November 2, 2019 9:49 PM EDT
    Hi Donna,
    I am wondering if "USERNAME" is normally a private thing as your mentioned here. Can I ask what is the purpose of this field? Thank you.
    Angel
    Donna said:

Ok it does display above the feed but it is the Displayname. Go to your site and look in the member manager. Each user has a "username" and a "displayname." The Displayname is what shows on the site. The username is normally a private thing that most sites don't show. 

Your theme is not standard and so it doesn't show the Displayname above the feed like a default one does. Look here above the feed https://demo.socialengine.com/profile/adam you can see his name Adam Nowak above the feed in the center. 

Since you have a custom theme, you may want to ask the theme developer to add it.

• February 15, 2020 6:22 PM EST

Donna, I disagree. the username is what is most always shown not someone's real name (exception is LinkedIn) otherwise username has not value that I can see.

We need an option to not show DisplayName and only username instead.

• 6923 posts
    February 16, 2020 5:23 AM EST

No it isn't. The username is the back end name for users to have. It used to be for sign in to make it a more secure sign in before most went to using the email for sign in. So this is an old field going back. Every script I've used has had a username that was only for logging in back in the day. Display name is exactly what it sounds like. The name displayed in the site. It makes sense since it says exactly what it is.

• 6923 posts
    February 16, 2020 7:11 AM EST

If you don't want to show the "Display Name," you could change things a bit like we did here. I set the last name to not required and then I deleted that field. I then changed the name of the First Name field to Displayed Name. This makes it easier to figure out for users.

If you still need the first and last name, you can make a custom field but it can't be "First Name" and/or "Last Name" as those are special for the script. But, you can make one field named "First & Last Name" or just one that says "Name" and then that satisfies getting their real name and also the issue of the display name vs the username. 

• February 22, 2020 2:22 PM EST

When i made the changes you mentioned, I now see two boxes on the right side of the Members page. In the search box, it asks for Name and Display Name. How do i get rid of the Name?

• 6923 posts
    February 23, 2020 5:03 AM EST

Did you click for it to not be on browse member page when you made it? https://www.socialengine.com/support/article/5341487/se-php-profile-questions

• February 23, 2020 10:02 AM EST

I did as you said. I changed the Name field to Display Name that's all.

• 57 posts
    March 18, 2020 9:48 PM EDT

Since it does not makes sense, we ended up customizing it. Now,  

www.domain.com/profile/username   and    "username" is shown next to the user's picture.