SE4 with MariaDB?

• 36 posts
    October 23, 2017 12:16 AM EDT

Hello again all,

Just curious if anyone uses MariaDB with SE4 instead of MySQL? If so, have you seen any noticeable improvement on performance? I've been thinking about migrating to Maria but I'd like to get a little more info on how it performs with SE4 first.

• 71 posts
    October 23, 2017 4:26 AM EDT

I have not seen MariaDB used with SocialEngine4, but I've used with a cakephp based project. It's worth checking if you have access to a developer familiar with MariaDB. In my situation, I've worked with one of MariaDB developers, so I was not exposed to any DB problems for long (there were some, but I don't remember details anymore).

So if you know that any database related problem will be fixed pretty fast without affecting production setup or development - go for it. If you are not sure about that - it's worth considering some other ways to speed up the website (including mysql tuning based on your stats). 

If you are not familiar with MariaDB there is a chance you might end up with an issue that will cost more to research and fix than adding extra server resources for the speed up. 

• 66 posts
    October 23, 2017 10:48 PM EDT

We use MariaDB.... no issues....

• 66 posts
    October 23, 2017 10:49 PM EDT

To add.... no changes nor any bugs have been encountered with MariaDB using official SE and 3PA or custom addons.

• 36 posts
    October 23, 2017 10:53 PM EDT

Thanks for the response guys.

@Casey, did you migrate to Maria using WHM? If I do migrate, could I migrate back to MySQL if Maria isn't my cup of tea? Have you noticed any real differences between MySQL vs. MariaDB?

• 66 posts
    October 23, 2017 11:06 PM EDT

No, we do not use any type of CP, we use dedicated cloud servers so we install from the command line and customize configurations according to our needs. But at this moment, mysql and mariadb work pretty much the same from SE standpoint as far as mysql code compatibility goes. Any dump of the database will load between the two. MariaDB will win hands down if it is configured correctly to work with SE and your specific network setups.

• 36 posts
    October 23, 2017 11:25 PM EDT

Sounds good. Any tips or links to information for configuring and tuning my MariaDB setup correctly?

• 66 posts
    October 23, 2017 11:29 PM EDT

There is really no one size fits all as far as database configuration goes because it depends on what kind of hosting/server(s) you are using. (RAM/CPU CORES, CPU TYPE, etc..)

Are you on a dedicated plan or shared hosting plan? Are your webservers and database servers on the same machine? What resources do your server or server have?

• 36 posts
    October 23, 2017 11:40 PM EDT

Hi,

I'm on a VPS via eboundhost.com. Core files are served from my server, static content through a CDN, storage through Amazon S3 and database is on the same server. The database is one of the areas that I haven't optimized yet.

Server specs are as followed:

6 CPUs

7GB RAM

450GB Storage

7TB Transfer

Total processors: 6

Processor #1 Vendor GenuineIntel

Name IntelXeonCPU E5620 @ 2.40GHz Speed 700.041 MHz Cache 12288 KB

Processor #2 Vendor GenuineIntel

Processor #3 Vendor GenuineIntel