Filter members by height and weight

• 106 posts
    November 22, 2017 8:15 PM EST

Hello,

I have added height and weight to custom fields in profile member page, also I would like to allow members to filter others by height and weight.

For example browse members between 5 ft and 6 ft. I would like to know if this can make more issues on my site, like overloading the server.

• 6923 posts
    November 23, 2017 5:59 AM EST

It depends on how many users you have. Any search can overload a server, no matter the script used, if you have a huge user base. It shouldn't overload it any more than a normal search does though, IMO. Best thing to do is have a development clone of your live site and run tests to see how it works out. 

• 106 posts
    November 24, 2017 12:07 AM EST
    Ok thank you and could you recommand a configuration for communities of 1 000 and 10 000 members?

A basic VPS would be good until how many members ?
    • 119 posts
    November 24, 2017 7:21 AM EST

@Yungsun,

It all depends on how busy your community is, the amount of data is stored, if you have other 3rd party modules installed like online shopping platform etc. and you use a mixture of a mobile app/mobile html version/full site.

You can have a community of 2 000 000 people but only 100 are active per day or 

you can have a community of 2 000 000 people but 2 000 000 are active every day (if this is the case you better get some serious investors in!)

With a VPS you can set your own margins of the server, like file-upload to 1GB instead of the standard 128MB(shared) for videos. This will require more resources of the server.

If you get a standard VPS (basic) in the cloud to start with it is easier to upgrade to a bigger version without much hassle, upgrading sometimes you don't even notice or it takes about 20 minutes. Before you upgrade make sure you make a few backups of the files and database.

I always start with the basic VPS server in the cloud and if its too slow according to your users, upgrade to next level server.

** Don't spoil your users from day one! It is how you advertise it to your users.

EG: You can advertise it like; We are doing a massive update, the server will go down for a few hours on the xx-xx-xxxx but you will get to upload 1.5GB videos from your device/computer

• 106 posts
    February 2, 2018 12:25 AM EST
    @Maurits okay thank you for the informations, and sorry for the late reply, I was busy when I've seen your message and forgot after.