Searchable X-Reference between Layout Editor pages & (live) URL

• gs
    • 857 posts
    November 28, 2017 5:42 PM EST

(created from original discussion = http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/394/default-page-url-s/view/page/2)

A summary of the feature request.  Include ability to easily cross-reference the LE Page to the live/output page URL on the site.

Details of settings, steps to use or see this feature, benefits.  No settings, just the display of 1 additional piece of information (URL) in the LE 'Editing' Page list.  To save horizontal space in the dropdown, this URL could display only the portion after the site path (ex. full = http://www.abccompany.com/members/home; displayed in dropdown = members/home since the rest is assumed and the same/redundant throughout the entire dropdown list).  Some method to help this URL stand out would be appreciated (i.e. inside parentheses, right-aligned, bold, etc.) - just something so it's easily recognizable and separate from the LE Page name.  Maybe Spencer could help out with this

I originally thought about including this in the 'Edit Page Info' sectiion, but there's already a URL field there (which may pose some confusion).  More importantly, if located there it will require an additional searching mechanism within SE to be developed.  By including it in the 'Editing' Page list dropdown, this is searchable via the browser.  This also looks more like a cross-reference list since it's somewhat columnar.  Someone may wish to include a separate SE search mechanism and/or detailed solution, but I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible in order to (hopefully) finally get an FR accepted.

There obviously many ways to handle this cross-reference, but the above keeps it all in one place, makes it easily searchable (albeit with possibly > 1 hit for many searches), and should require little to develop this FR. 

This should be REQUIRED (not suggested) from all 3PDs as well.  There are many things that should be Required/Enforced from 3PDs but that's another discussion for another day.

Add screenshots when possible.

• 6923 posts
    November 29, 2017 5:27 AM EST

With this, since clients can change their URL, would it reflect the new URL or the default URL (in case they wanted to fall back to default for some reason)?

• gs
    • 857 posts
    November 29, 2017 9:49 AM EST
    Good question, and I see pros/cons for both. My gut says to display the Default so as to display 'original' SE and 3PD settings.
    • 18 posts
    August 22, 2018 1:57 AM EDT

Some ideas for this feature request, I would show the current URL for the page (whether original or client-edited).  That way, it would be easy to know which URL path is already taken or used. This way will also make it easier to go from the page back to the layout editor.  For example, I'm looking at a page and I know the URL, I can link it back to a layout editor page without guessing; if this is to be done easily, the layout editor screen needs to show the current URL (whether original or edited).  There could also be a "use original URL" or "make default" link to return the URL back to the original SE URL.  

Example 1, with original SE URL: Blog Manage Page  /blogs/manage  make default

Example 2, with client-edited URL: Blog Manage Page  /blogs/manage-my-blogs  make default

• gs
    • 857 posts
    August 22, 2018 7:50 PM EDT

But if we can have both URLs (as @Kieuph) suggested, that's great (with a column heading so there's no confusion).  If only one, then the Default (because I'm more likely to know what I changed or will have my own records to keep track of, rather than 'know' the Defaults).  BTW - this may have to be a horizontally scrollable list due to the length of some URLs, esp if 2 URLs are side by side.