Community

Forums » SEPHP Feature Requests

'Post As' Feature

• gs
    • 856 posts
    July 11, 2017 1:50 PM EDT

Description: Allows Group Admins to post their content as the 'Group Admin' rather than as themself.

At github, SE responded:

Currently, there are no options available in core SE PHP to be able to log-in as a page or as a group, etc, so the feature to be able to choose while posting that whether you are a page or group, etc. have no significance. So, this feature is more useful in case of third party plugins you're referring here and if those 3rd plugins are missing this feature, you can suggest the same feature to their respective developers.

I beg to differ with the above since this shouldn't be designed around who you log in as, but rather as who you're posting as.  In addition, this could be used by SE Users as well as built up on by 3rd-Party Devs (if the functionality existed in SE Core).

Scenario: As a member of an SE Community, I may be the owner of several pages and/or groups.  When I post something, I can only post as 'me' and there are times when the post should be by 'me - the owner of ABC Company' or the 'Leader of Group ABC'.  This is not currently possible, so all posts look like they're personal/individual posts. 

Rather than through logging in as different Users, one could simply be prompted for 'who' they are posting as.  I have a similar customization for my giving application/site which optionally (i.e. if not as you the individual User) asks 'who are you giving as' and displays a selection of all the Groups, Pages, Causes, etc. you are Owner or Admin of (this customization was provided by SocialEngineMarket for SEAO Plugins).

Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

(note original github ->https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-feature-requests/issues/38)

• 3520 posts
    July 11, 2017 1:54 PM EDT

The issue with this is that the group would need to be a user in order to post as the post needs to have a user id in order to connect to as people would Like, comment, etc and all of those need something to connect to. 

The feature is a bit more complex than just a post as button. It's an interesting feature but it is going to be a broader issue and would require more consideration from a core developer as to the impact on the SE script and security. 

Thank you for your post. 

• gs
    • 856 posts
    July 11, 2017 3:29 PM EDT
    Donna said:

The issue with this is that the group would need to be a user in order to post as the post needs to have a user id in order to connect to as people would Like, comment, etc and all of those need something to connect to. 

The feature is a bit more complex than just a post as button. It's an interesting feature but it is going to be a broader issue and would require more consideration from a core developer as to the impact on the SE script and security. 

Thank you for your post. 

I'm trying to think outside the box here.  Why not just store the additonal 'post as' selection in the database and then display the appropriate info (i.e. User or Post As group/page/whatever) wherever the User name/pic is displayed?  The originating User is still the 'connection'/UserID.  What's changing is what Users see and where their Like/Comment later displays (i.e. if I post as a Group, then the Like/Comment would be for the Group, not me, even though it's using my UserID along with 'AsIsId'. 

I'm obviously not familiar with the database and code of SE, but the above is essentially what I've customized for part of my site (not sure how SEM did this, so the above is my guess rather than knowledge of the actual method used).  The point is that certain content posts are tied into the User/Group/Page/Cause depending on what they selected at the point of creating the content.

• July 14, 2017 7:36 PM EDT

What you'd need to achieve this, is the ability to give certain modules object profile functionality. So instead of modules being in a subject relationship with a profile, you'd give them a profile based relationship. Then you would just need to assign a module post to be set as the main poster, which is tied in with your account. So you'd then be able to set a custom status as the title of the poster.

• 62 posts
    July 16, 2017 6:06 AM EDT

I think there are already some third party modules that do this?

• 62 posts
    July 16, 2017 6:11 AM EDT

Just tested and one of the 3rd party modules does post as the group admin and not under your own personal account.

• July 16, 2017 4:51 PM EDT
    Casey said:

Just tested and one of the 3rd party modules does post as the group admin and not under your own personal account.

I'm pretty sure social engine add ons does this via extensions.

• 3520 posts
    July 18, 2017 5:02 AM EDT
    Casey said:

Cool to know. Feel free to post a link to it. :)

• gs
    • 856 posts
    July 18, 2017 9:23 AM EDT
    Elshara Silverheart said:
    Casey said:

Yes, but not really. They provide a setting for which displays in the activity feed (of their Plugins for Group/Community, Directory-Pages,Directory Business). This can either be the User or page name and profile image. For example, if I am the Owner/Admin of Group1 and Group2 (using THEIR Plugin, not standard SE) and I post something in Group1's activity feed, then the previously set switch will either display my info or Group1's info. I don't have the ability to decide 'who'/which I am posting as (i.e. I can't make one post as me, another as Group1 and another as Group2). So yes, I'm familiar w/the SEAO Plugins but they do not address this FR. I'm asking for the overall ability to do this: - throughout SE and so 3rd-Party devs could tie into it - for when posting any content - to select 'who I am posting as' at the time of posting
  • July 23, 2017 2:28 AM EDT
    gs said:
    Elshara Silverheart said:
    Casey said:

Yes, but not really. They provide a setting for which displays in the activity feed (of their Plugins for Group/Community, Directory-Pages,Directory Business). This can either be the User or page name and profile image. For example, if I am the Owner/Admin of Group1 and Group2 (using THEIR Plugin, not standard SE) and I post something in Group1's activity feed, then the previously set switch will either display my info or Group1's info. I don't have the ability to decide 'who'/which I am posting as (i.e. I can't make one post as me, another as Group1 and another as Group2). So yes, I'm familiar w/the SEAO Plugins but they do not address this FR. I'm asking for the overall ability to do this: - throughout SE and so 3rd-Party devs could tie into it - for when posting any content - to select 'who I am posting as' at the time of posting

Perhaps the solution here would then be to have posts themselves act like profiles with profile based permissions. Maybe logging into the site as an existing post might be the answer here.