Custom Shortlinks selfserviced via Admin Panel

• 58 posts
    January 11, 2018 9:22 AM EST

Hi there,

do you if there is a solution (i couldn't find any) to have a selfservice solution for custom short links.

e.g. example.com/link1 the current type who we solve this is by adding rewrite rules to the htacess file and do a deployment. this is very uncomfy because you always need a dev hand doing this job.

is it possible to built in an extension thats is called before the SE Url Rules are taking over, so that I'm able to catch the response and make a redirection on my own. Main rule: i don't want to change the core files! then is would be possible that every admin role user is able to add custom shortlinks via the admin panel by building a custom admin extension.

thanks a lot!

This post was edited by oddity Code at January 11, 2018 9:23 AM EST
    • 6923 posts
    January 11, 2018 10:29 AM EST

I've not had to change anything on my site in order to have short urls but it's actually not hard to do. Your server needs to be set up per the requirements - specifically mod_rewrite (removes index.php, for SEO-friendlier URLs) must be enabled. The default htaccess file already has the rewrite rule in it if mod_rewrite is enabled and will already shorten urls. If they are not shortened and you are on current version, then your server may not have mod_rewrite enabled.

• 58 posts
    January 11, 2018 11:23 AM EST

Hej Donna,

it's not about SE-shorturls in generell. it's about setting up custom short urls that must not belong to a SE function. 

eg: exampleSE.com/link1 could lead you to e.g. examplewithwathever.com/deeplink/page.html

this about like a bitly. it's a strong request by one of our customers to set up custom and short marketing urls within the admin panel.

so my basic question: is there a possibility to setup an extension that way that it can prefetch the url-path segment so that i could make the redirection.