RAM & CPU

• 103 posts
    February 9, 2018 4:21 PM EST

Hello! Wonder what amount of RAM is best for SE and also the CPU. Need this info for GP (general purpose). In the old days 2GB of Ram was best to have.

• 6923 posts
    February 12, 2018 7:20 AM EST

It depends on the plugins you use and settings you have. I'm using cloud 2 here, https://www.bryzar.com/managed-cloud-vps . It works for my site but I don't use any chat and only use a few third party plugins that I made. 

What plugins do you have?

Do you use a chat/IM?

• 103 posts
    February 12, 2018 12:34 PM EST

Hi! Yes I have like 40 plugins, and I use Arrowchat with video. I guess that 6GB of Ram and 6 CPU core and this should be enough, right?

• 6923 posts
    February 13, 2018 7:43 AM EST

It should but I cannot say for sure as I don't use chats. I hope another client that does use chats will also provide feedback.

• 25 posts
    April 3, 2018 9:02 PM EDT

Ikori,

We are going to try ours with 4 cores, 16GB. I'll let you know how we do.

Peter Gruessing

Galify.com

• 36 posts
    April 25, 2018 5:43 PM EDT

Really every site is different and has a different set of requirements. The number of active users, plugins, and template layout dictate the need. For us, the site would never run on the cloud options suggested. We run a dedicated server with 8 threads, 32GB of memory, and 200GB ssd. During peek time we run at about 70% capacity. We also run CDN for images and static files. We have a very active community though. Maybe consider hosting with AWS. This would allow you to adjust your configuration based on need.