Community

Forums » Feature Requests to Experts

Tag (Topic) Widget

• 2 posts
    July 12, 2017 5:15 AM EDT

Posting this as I don't have time to make it. (I had posted it under my SE staff account and thought it would be better under my personal account)

I have an author site. We use tags. I was surprised to find we have no tag widget to display all tags. We have a gutter in the blog view to display the member's own tags but that is not efficient for a tag block.

Here's what I would like and I am sure many others would buy (the first two are important to me but would love feedback from clients too - noting that I already know several business clients that insist on the same):

1. No Core. I do not want to load every thing that every other product someone makes uses. This is a small feature request and shouldn't need a core.
    2. No Callbacks. I do not allow callbacks (other than SE default). Those just leave openings for security and in these days, the less holes the better.
    3. This would show all tags from the site for content - not just from the user viewing.
    4. This would not show user tags on photos as those are not the same thing.
    5. This would allow placement via the layout editor widgets to at least the member home page.
    6. This would allow admin to set the number of tags to show in the block.
    7. Tags would be clickable to load all of the items that were tagged with that tag. (perhaps it would be best to show those on a separate page instead of a popup as it could be a very long list)
    8. Works with SE Insignia default theme.

Possible extra features (not required but might help you sell more of this)

1. Allow admin to choose which plugins this grabs tags from (example: Blog, video, classifieds, etc).
    2. Allow admin to choose from a few styles for this to display (normal tag list, tag cloud, etc) 
    3. Allow admin to select member levels for this to show to. (this one is not something I would use but I know clients are asking for member level perms for widgets)

As other plugins from third parties might have tags for their products, whomever makes this could also earn from customizing it to work with other third party products. That definitely should be a paid customization for it.

Note that I would buy this if made, at full price. No discount needed for the idea. laughing

Thank you for considering this request.

• July 14, 2017 8:16 PM EDT
    Data66 said:

Posting this as I don't have time to make it. (I had posted it under my SE staff account and thought it would be better under my personal account)

I have an author site. We use tags. I was surprised to find we have no tag widget to display all tags. We have a gutter in the blog view to display the member's own tags but that is not efficient for a tag block.

Here's what I would like and I am sure many others would buy (the first two are important to me but would love feedback from clients too - noting that I already know several business clients that insist on the same):

1. No Core. I do not want to load every thing that every other product someone makes uses. This is a small feature request and shouldn't need a core.
    2. No Callbacks. I do not allow callbacks (other than SE default). Those just leave openings for security and in these days, the less holes the better.
    3. This would show all tags from the site for content - not just from the user viewing.
    4. This would not show user tags on photos as those are not the same thing.
    5. This would allow placement via the layout editor widgets to at least the member home page.
    6. This would allow admin to set the number of tags to show in the block.
    7. Tags would be clickable to load all of the items that were tagged with that tag. (perhaps it would be best to show those on a separate page instead of a popup as it could be a very long list)
    8. Works with SE Insignia default theme.

Possible extra features (not required but might help you sell more of this)

1. Allow admin to choose which plugins this grabs tags from (example: Blog, video, classifieds, etc).
    2. Allow admin to choose from a few styles for this to display (normal tag list, tag cloud, etc) 
    3. Allow admin to select member levels for this to show to. (this one is not something I would use but I know clients are asking for member level perms for widgets)

As other plugins from third parties might have tags for their products, whomever makes this could also earn from customizing it to work with other third party products. That definitely should be a paid customization for it.

Note that I would buy this if made, at full price. No discount needed for the idea. laughing

Thank you for considering this request.

Hi Data66. This is an awesome idea.

I'd like to expand on this to have multiple instances of tags and have tags be optionally renamed to something else. I'd also like to have a hierarchy of tags listed as a widget as well.