Creation and member levels of Groups

• 2 posts
    March 17, 2018 12:33 AM EDT

I think I have just gone mad.  I am attempting to create a group that the entry level member has to request to join. But no matter what radio buttons I select a new user can see the group upon login to the main page and just click the group in the Groups and view everything.  I used groups in Social engine two years ago and figured it out but I am lost now.

Also what is the difference between

Registered Members

Members Only

All Members

I would really appreciate a step by step to creating a group that entry level users have to join up before they can see them in the group itself and on the main page.  HELP!

• 6923 posts
    March 17, 2018 6:44 AM EDT

There is already a forum post for this. Was that post not helpful when you searched?

• 2 posts
    March 17, 2018 9:27 AM EDT

Could you point me to that forum post?

• 6923 posts
    March 19, 2018 6:23 AM EDT

I didn't have a lot of time to search this morning. Perhaps this will help and we'll make a tutorial too.

Everyone = Everyone on the site
    -- Everyone on the planet that visits the site.That means guests too.

Registered Members= is who????

--All members registered on the site and logged in.

Members Only= is who????

--All members of the group.

All Members:

--This means members of the group as the other permission "Registered Members" means all members of your site.

• 119 posts
    March 19, 2018 7:10 AM EDT

You can probably work better with member levels, once a new member signs up, he/she can be automatically added to a member level by selecting profile type.

• If you create a new member level, best way is to make a copy of the standard member level and edit the level to your requirements. Say call it "Beginners Level" and "Advanced Level"

• Create your profile types first say "beginner" and "Advanced".

• Then you can use " Map profile type with member level "

• If you have only one profile type then user will not see the selection profile types on signup, then all (one) profile can be mapped to your created member level "Beginners Level".

The member will have to request an upgrade for their member level (to "Advanced Level").

• If your site has a payment option for your customers, you can set "Upgrade to Advanced Member" as "show payment plan only after signup". Here you use the advanced member and advanced levels of the payment plan