Language Manager not saving

• 17 posts
    July 16, 2017 12:50 PM EDT

Hi Folks,

Recently upgraded site to 4.9.2p1 and since upgrade we've been unable to Save any changes we make using Language Manager. System happily accepts the alterations, and allows us to press the Save button, but returns to the previous wording once it reloads.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

XT.

• 629 posts
    July 16, 2017 5:05 PM EDT
    Xtasia said:

Hi Folks,

Recently upgraded site to 4.9.2p1 and since upgrade we've been unable to Save any changes we make using Language Manager. System happily accepts the alterations, and allows us to press the Save button, but returns to the previous wording once it reloads.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

XT.

In later versions of social engine, v4.9X there's a little drop down box found near the footer which allows you to choose a site language.

I suggest trying to click on it to see the changes.

Also choosing a default site locale might help.

If that doesn't work, try installing or creating an entirely new language pack.

Translated phrases should appear immediately if you switch from production mode to developer mode and then back again in the dashboard.

Also clear your server cache or site configuration cache. Be sure to open up the csv file to see if the text actually shows as being changed or altered depending on the file you wish to see the changes for. If so, then it's simply a caching problem which can be resolved by clearing it.

• 6923 posts
    July 18, 2017 6:02 AM EDT

Please read the stickied guidelines if posting issues. This is incomplete.

This sounds like a site issue and not a bug with the script as we are not seeing this issue on this site, our test sites, or my personal site. Have you cleared cache after changing language phrases?

Have you checked for errors in development mode?

• 17 posts
    July 18, 2017 7:15 AM EDT
    Donna said:

This sounds like a site issue and not a bug with the script as we are not seeing this issue on this site, our test sites, or my personal site. Have you cleared cache after changing language phrases?

Sorry, maybe I should shut up then and not post?

As stated, I'm not a techie, and if you lot actually look at 99% of your posts you'll realise that many are totally beyond many site users. You're all speaking in tech, and of very little help to novices trying to use your software.

Example...have you cleared cache....where, which cache, server, my pc, site, ? Be good to get a guide on how to do that.

Surely the forum is here to help people. Your time answering might be better spent if you slowly work through help with folks, to ensure its understood and informative.

If not enough info has been provided, then have a look at what you're asking for and make sure its simple to understand. I gather most of your users are hobbyists, we're not all using IT companies for this.

Cheers

Xtasia

This post was edited by socialenginestaff at July 18, 2017 7:18 AM EDT
    • 6923 posts
    July 18, 2017 7:24 AM EDT

Hi Xtasia,

The posted guidelines are there to help you give us all of the information we need in order to help you troubleshoot. The things requested are not techie other than posting any errors seen by developer mode enabled but that's just copying and pasting. By providing us the information we request (such as your site version, browser, os, browser version, etc) this helps us to narrow down the issues. Please do continue to post but please also be aware of the helpful stickied posts we made in order to make it easier to post and get answers.

For clearing cache, that is covered in our documentation. https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1639869-admin-panel---settings->-performance-caching perhaps this will help.

For enabling development mode, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1665282-enable-disable-production-or-development-mode and we have a video tutorial for that one coming soon. We hope to video all of our tutorials but we do have quite a lot of them.

Here are the stickied guidelines that were formerly at Github, http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/4/submitting-issue-bug-reports .

If you have questions about the stickied guidelines, please feel free to open a thread to ask about it or please feel free to pm me for assistance.

Thanks! (please note that I just got back from major surgery yesterday so I might not answer right away if you pm me today)

• 17 posts
    July 18, 2017 9:21 AM EDT

Thank you....appreciated. embarassed

• 6923 posts
    July 18, 2017 10:28 AM EDT

you're welcomeplease do feel free to also ask for video tutorials any time a written one might need more explanation too. We really do want to help and make things easier.

• 629 posts
    July 23, 2017 3:58 AM EDT
    Xtasia said:
    Donna said:

Sorry, maybe I should shut up then and not post?

As stated, I'm not a techie, and if you lot actually look at 99% of your posts you'll realise that many are totally beyond many site users. You're all speaking in tech, and of very little help to novices trying to use your software.

Example...have you cleared cache....where, which cache, server, my pc, site, ? Be good to get a guide on how to do that.

Surely the forum is here to help people. Your time answering might be better spent if you slowly work through help with folks, to ensure its understood and informative.

If not enough info has been provided, then have a look at what you're asking for and make sure its simple to understand. I gather most of your users are hobbyists, we're not all using IT companies for this.

Cheers

Xtasia

I do apologize and am sorry for upsetting you Xtasia. I don't mean to come across as non informative or not helpful. I completely understand you are a non tech person. So in this case in general you are wanting people to walk you through how to achieve more steps, as opposed to vague information about where to go to try fixing a problem you aren't sure how it was created in non computer based English terms.

Okay lets start over from the beginning.

Hi Xtasia, I'm happy to assist you.

The error you are experiencing, languages not saving, may be due to a number of things. Off the top of my head, here are some ideas you can try to look for while more information about the error is collected.

You must first understand as a non technical person, computer errors can happen at any time, for any reason due to coding inconsistencies, not all of which have specific documentation for. So if you aren't achieving the desired result, know it is always never your fault, and that nobody is mad at you if you misunderstand something. Nobody on the technical team from how I see things, is trying to mislead, misguide, or move you along in a queue of impatient people because of our off centered mood swings. You won't see such rude and immature handling of real people here. AS we're real two, and we don't run things off of a script. We're very flexible and are as patient with you as you'll allow us to be.

Now lets focus on the key issue at hand here.

Phrases you make custom changes to, you report, are not saving on the site. Have you been able to confirm the changes aren't saved after an hour of saving them by visiting the effected page the change was supposed to have taken effect on? I ask this because if the page was working fine prior to the upgrade, but immediately after the upgrade, it does not work fine, then I can give you relevant information based on the upgrade problem. Not say, a server cache problem.

If it does take effect and change over to your custom text after an hour, then you shouldn't need to do anything else. Otherwise, try reinstalling the package of 4.8.13 and see if the problem goes away.

If it does, then it's a problem with how your server handles upgrades. Or, it's a problem with how the database itself receives the information you are sending through to the web form. Note, in simple terms, a database is like a hard drive, that you save information to, in order for it to be used like a tool to unlock something. Think of it like a ring of house keys. Where each key opens something different. But it can also not work in the right lock, if no key is actually opening the lock. This rarely happens in software development which is stable and ready for production use, but it's been known to occur occasionally. Developers usually test to avoid such an issue now days.

Anyways, my point being, simply put, this is an issue which is very fixable. Try upgrading and down grading packages to see if it solves the problem.

Go to the package manager. Upload the 4.8.13 file if you still have one on your computer hard drive to the site, and see if it fixes the problem. Follow the on screen instructions to complete the down grade. It's very easy to use. For a non technical person. Because it's just a series of pages where all you need to do is continue clicking next a few times until it's complete.

If it is an issue with the upgrade files, then I'd wait until version 4.93 comes out if I were you, prior to upgrading again.

If not, then we can continue from here, as the issue is due to a configuration file not moving data from the form to the database to have the changes be successfully saved.

Sorry for making you mad. Please know I am here for you. I believe if you have patience, and if I have patience to hear you out, we can achieve this together, one step at a time. I'm sorry you feel frustrated and I wish to calm the waters between us. Sorry for taking so long to reply here. The delay was due to events happening in the middle of the busiest time of my personal life. I'm a client volunteer here by the way, not a staff member. Just letting you know.

• 629 posts
    July 23, 2017 4:09 AM EDT
    Donna said:

Hi Xtasia,

The posted guidelines are there to help you give us all of the information we need in order to help you troubleshoot. The things requested are not techie other than posting any errors seen by developer mode enabled but that's just copying and pasting. By providing us the information we request (such as your site version, browser, os, browser version, etc) this helps us to narrow down the issues. Please do continue to post but please also be aware of the helpful stickied posts we made in order to make it easier to post and get answers.

For clearing cache, that is covered in our documentation. https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1639869-admin-panel---settings->-performance-caching perhaps this will help.

For enabling development mode, https://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1665282-enable-disable-production-or-development-mode and we have a video tutorial for that one coming soon. We hope to video all of our tutorials but we do have quite a lot of them.

Here are the stickied guidelines that were formerly at Github, http://community.socialengine.com/forums/topic/4/submitting-issue-bug-reports .

If you have questions about the stickied guidelines, please feel free to open a thread to ask about it or please feel free to pm me for assistance.

Thanks! (please note that I just got back from major surgery yesterday so I might not answer right away if you pm me today)

New users have a hard time understanding post formats and such. There has to be some sort of a better way to manage simple requests.

Xtasia has a point. I feel could be addressed. Social Engine is very easy to navigate to, but if a setting goes wrong, we can learn from helping people in a non technical way to make things better and easier to use.

Social Engine caters to all interests. So both technical and non technical people. It's just that a lot of people are confused when it comes to systems, terminology and if no step by step instructions exist on how specific problems are solved, new users find systems where such is provided. We all have to start somewhere and although social engine has a great front end, not everything in the back end is as flexible as what people coming from other CMS products are used to. So there's a bit of a learning curve for sure.

This isn't like word press where individual plugins can be installed just by going to the area in the dashboard, hitting search and then clicking on install. There's a process for everything, but each one isn't documented enough yet to distinguish it from another all the time. Due to error codes not being specific enough in detail. So when users post general information about problems, a lot of times we're not sure exactly how to pin point the problem to say, here's a step by step guide on how to fix an issue. Primarily because we aren't sure where to start first. Sub primarily because this is due to the Zend template system not providing enough instructions or detail based on the errors received to be able to solve them effectively in my opinion.

• 6923 posts
    August 1, 2017 11:49 AM EDT

Xtasia, have you resolved this? If not, please try upgrading to 4.9.3 (backup your site first and check with any plugin developers if you use third party plugins to make sure they are compatible) and see if it works for you after upgrading.

• 629 posts
    September 9, 2017 4:09 AM EDT

4.9.4 is now out. I hope the upgrade went smoothly for you.