Notification Status

• 629 posts
    July 16, 2017 6:14 PM EDT

When clicking on notifications, you have to click on them in the same tab or window in order for it to count towards the total count of unread notifications. If you click on the post title, it is seen as read only if you click on it in the same tab and window. If you open it in a new tab or window, it shows as unread even though you clicked on it and read it. Which requires you to click mark all notifications as read manually.

• 348 posts
    July 17, 2017 3:42 AM EDT
    Elshara Silverheart said:

When clicking on notifications, you have to click on them in the same tab or window in order for it to count towards the total count of unread notifications. If you click on the post title, it is seen as read only if you click on it in the same tab and window. If you open it in a new tab or window, it shows as unread even though you clicked on it and read it. Which requires you to click mark all notifications as read manually.

Facing the same issueClicking on each notification in the same window to decrease the notification count seems to be a bit cumbersome. 
    Expectation: When the link of content (appearing in notification drop down) is opened up in a new tab, this should be considered as a 'Read Notification' and count should get decreased on page refresh.  

• 629 posts
    July 17, 2017 3:50 AM EDT
    SocialEngineAddOns said:
    Elshara Silverheart said:

Facing the same issueClicking on each notification in the same window to decrease the notification count seems to be a bit cumbersome. 
    Expectation: When the link of content (appearing in notification drop down) is opened up in a new tab, this should be considered as a 'Read Notification' and count should get decreased on page refresh.  

I thought it was just me. I am using firefox.

• 6923 posts
    July 18, 2017 6:00 AM EDT

Please read the stickied guidelines if posting issues. This is incomplete.

Please note that the counter is updated via ajax, I believe, so it would need to be same window to count. This may not be a bug due to that.

• 629 posts
    July 23, 2017 4:44 AM EDT
    Donna said:

Please note that the counter is updated via ajax, I believe, so it would need to be same window to count. This may not be a bug due to that.

Donna you're completely missing the point.

(Thanks for reporting an issue! Please make sure you click the link above to view the issue guidelines, then fill out the blanks below.)
    What are the steps to reproduce this issue?
    1. … View new notifications. Use the member menu to get there. The mini menu.
    2. … When the notifications screen pops up, click on it using right click or long press if you are on mobile. And then choose open in new window, or new tab.
    3. … Now after you responded or viewed it, go to the top of the same page. The one where you opened the update in the new window or tab. There you will see the count of notifications you have remaining which are unread.
    What happens?
    … The count on both pages remains the same after refresh. It shouldn't.
    What were you expecting to happen?
    … The count of unread notifications to be one less, because you viewed it using a new tab or window. The site should record what page you visited just like it would using the same window or tab. New sessions are not created in social engine if you have other tabs open on the same site, so cookies shouldn't be an issue here to resolve it.
    Any logs, error output, etc?
    (If it’s long, please paste to https://ghostbin.com/ and insert the link here.)
    Paste Log Here
    Any other comments?
    … No log. This is purely a bug in social engine unread notification counts not taking in to consideration the fact users click new window or new tab when viewing updates.
    What versions of software are you using?
    Operating System: … Cloud Linux Offered By Name Cheap Shared Hosting - php7.1 Most Extensions Enabled accept Source Guardian see https://www.namecheap.com/support/knowledgebase/article.aspx/9697/2219/php-modules-and-extensions-on-shared-hosting-servers for details
    SocialEngine PHP Version: … 4.9.2p1 with all up to date plugins latest oldest version being 4.9.1

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 23, 2017 1:17 PM EDT
    Donna said:

I have experienced this type of thing (i.e. opening up a countable/flagable item into another Tab instead of current Tab) in many other sites.  So if this supposed bug is actually the way the software works (as some others do), should this be moved or recreated as an FR?

This issue is quite annoying on any site where I experience it.  It's an annoyance (when it's only a few items that can easily be opened in another Tab then 'mark all as read') but a major pain when there are many items as you can't clear them one by one - and if you only read 5 of 20 (using the Open in another Tab method), then you don't want to clear all, you only want to clear the 5 you read of course.

For the sites I've used where this works 'properly' or as expected, it's probably because they flag as read either manually (which I prefer, so I can choose if I'm 'done' with this information) or automatically upon page load (so no matter how it's loaded it's considered Read).  I simply don't like software 'thinking' for me - just because I clicked on something or opened something doesn't mean I'm done with it and want it flagged as read (same goes for emails - 'opened' makes sense, but 'read' should not be auto-flagged IMHO in any system for anything - manual only). 

This post was edited by gs at July 23, 2017 1:22 PM EDT
    • 629 posts
    July 23, 2017 2:50 PM EDT
    gs said:
    Donna said:

I have experienced this type of thing (i.e. opening up a countable/flagable item into another Tab instead of current Tab) in many other sites.  So if this supposed bug is actually the way the software works (as some others do), should this be moved or recreated as an FR?

This issue is quite annoying on any site where I experience it.  It's an annoyance (when it's only a few items that can easily be opened in another Tab then 'mark all as read') but a major pain when there are many items as you can't clear them one by one - and if you only read 5 of 20 (using the Open in another Tab method), then you don't want to clear all, you only want to clear the 5 you read of course.

For the sites I've used where this works 'properly' or as expected, it's probably because they flag as read either manually (which I prefer, so I can choose if I'm 'done' with this information) or automatically upon page load (so no matter how it's loaded it's considered Read).  I simply don't like software 'thinking' for me - just because I clicked on something or opened something doesn't mean I'm done with it and want it flagged as read (same goes for emails - 'opened' makes sense, but 'read' should not be auto-flagged IMHO in any system for anything - manual only). 

So how would you manage notifications if you could?

All I care about here is being able to have items read when I click on them. That way they actually don't appear in my recent notifications list. I hate tripple clicking on titles that look the exact same, but they redirect me to pages I've already seen because I'm not manually counting what item number I'm at. The titles don't show me the post title or a preview of the text that should accompany it based on notifications. I may or may not have actually read. this is my concern. I have to rely on emails to tell me this, and that's if I get them. I have to rely on the post date of when the email was sent, just to be sure of what ones I've actually read or not two. It's such a pain.

I wish social engine would just have 3 areas for notifications. Read, unread and all.

• gs
    • 857 posts
    July 23, 2017 5:54 PM EDT

=="I wish social engine would just have 3 areas for notifications. Read, unread and all."

That's a great idea.  The only thing I would add is to allow Users to flag/check/whatever to show the item is 'read', rather than any automatic flagging.  If that's not agreeable to others, then let's go with a User-defined setting for: A) Flag items as 'read' upon opening them (selecting them, whatever); B) Allow me to manually flag items as 'read'.  Just because an item was selected or opened in another tab doesn't mean it was actually read (or should automatically be moved to 'read' status, unless the User chooses to allow this). It's easy to accidentally select something and if automatically flagged as 'read' it's possible it may never be read.

Just my 2 cents.  I like flexibility and can't stand software 'making choices' for me that I am capable of making myself.  Like auto-save: IMHO I don't believe any software/system should ever auto-save anything; auto-backup - sure, but never auto-save over existing file(s).  And even then, there should be an option to enable/disable this functionality, and if enabled as setting for how often (so as to let the User decide on the potential performance impact).  But I digress ...

• 629 posts
    July 23, 2017 5:57 PM EDT
    gs said:

=="I wish social engine would just have 3 areas for notifications. Read, unread and all."

That's a great idea.  The only thing I would add is to allow Users to flag/check/whatever to show the item is 'read', rather than any automatic flagging.  If that's not agreeable to others, then let's go with a User-defined setting for: A) Flag items as 'read' upon opening them (selecting them, whatever); B) Allow me to manually flag items as 'read'.  Just because an item was selected or opened in another tab doesn't mean it was actually read (or should automatically be moved to 'read' status, unless the User chooses to allow this). It's easy to accidentally select something and if automatically flagged as 'read' it's possible it may never be read.

Just my 2 cents.  I like flexibility and can't stand software 'making choices' for me that I am capable of making myself.  Like auto-save: IMHO I don't believe any software/system should ever auto-save anything; auto-backup - sure, but never auto-save over existing file(s).  And even then, there should be an option to enable/disable this functionality, and if enabled as setting for how often (so as to let the User decide on the potential performance impact).  But I digress ...

I agree. And have it be member configurable on a per account basis.

• 6923 posts
    July 24, 2017 2:35 PM EDT

Moved to feature requests.